Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Breathlessness?  (Read 28983 times)

k9love

Breathlessness?
« on: February 20, 2014, 06:38:53 PM »

Ive probably asked this before but cant remember ::)

Does anyone else suffer from a feeling of breathlessness? its really getting me down now! had heart tested and all was fine, but I get this feeling all the time like I cant breath :'( funnily enough it seems worse when Im resting?
Im at the stage now where I make myself run upstairs or I jog on the spot to try and make myself even more breathless, in other words to see if I can do these things :(
Ive even joined a gym! daren't keep going back to the doc he thinks Im a hydrocondriac!
Im post meno and thought I had gone through all the nasty things, oh and my hot flushes have returned after months of none!

So does anyone else get this breathless feeling? its on my mind day and night which is probably making it worse.
Thanks.

shaz40bc

Re: Breathlessness?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 07:09:20 PM »

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Just seen your post & this is exactly what I've been experiencing for the last few weeks.I started an early menopause 7 years ago following cancer treatment but the last 18 months have been pretty symptom free. Then bang, a few weeks ago started with bad hot flushes & breathlessness which also leads to hyperventilation, light headedness & the shakes. Been to see my gp who has checked me out & said it was anxiety attacks. I can't take hrt due to medical history & have only ever taken red clover which has helped in the past. Have tried relaxation techniques but nothing seems to work & its really become debilitating. I am struggling to do just day to day stuff & feel exhausted. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 08:48:06 PM »

Do you think it's related to belatedness?  When having periods I would get breathless - like I can't take a complete deep breath - because of water retention.

Sue267

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 11:53:40 AM »

Yes it's perimenopause iv had it for over a year now, on and off my doc said its normal and not to worry but I must say sometimes i think my god am I dying !! It is getting better though the nurse at my docs said she had it too and it just went away when her periods stopped. mine are getting much less frequent and all my weird symptoms are disappearing thank god this really can be a very difficult time of our lives but mustn't complain it's a normal natural proses

Lilyloos

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 02:38:26 PM »

Hi k9love
I'm pretty new to this site, and yes, I get this also.  It's a new symptom for me and I have been period free for 2 years now.  Been back and forth to GP over the last few weeks and am actually waiting for a call back from a new GP at the same practice who has been fantastic regarding all things menopause, to see if this is a normal symptom!
It happens usually when I am relaxed, but then it makes me anxious and as I think something awful is happening.  I also have had crashing tiredness that comes and goes usually after one of these breathless episodes where I feel I cannot inflate my lungs sufficiently, go dizzy and feel weak. 
Fun fun fun!  At least you know there are others that have this! 
Take care LL

sharon84

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »

Phew!  I'm beginning to feel normal again.  I'm new on here and having all sorts of weird things.... breathlessness, adrenaline surges, fatigue, weakness, dizziness.  I'm post-menopausal - my last period was 4 years ago and sailed through it relatively smoothly - until now!  Doctor says anxiety, but I think it is all these weird feelings that's making me anxious and not the root cause. 

Anyone else getting adrenaline surges and do you get the feeling/fear that you're going to collapse?

Beginning to feel paranoid!

legojayne

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 05:10:52 PM »

I get panic attacks and dizziness with the fear of passing out. I have been having problems with going out in case I collapse outside. Having yet more blood tests tomorrow if I can get there.

Lilyloos

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 05:46:21 PM »

Hi sharon84
Same for me too, never expected menopause to be as bad as this.  Are you on HRT or have you ever been on it, because I get all of these horrible symptoms and I've been on/am on HRT so I'm beginning to wonder what is the point!
Happy days!  ::)

sharon84

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 12:36:19 PM »

Hi Lilyloos - I can't take HRT so not sure what I'm missing (or not).  I can't believe no-one really warns you how frightening the menopause can be.  I'm sure lots of women are mis-diagnosed - one minute my GP says I'm suffering from anxiety, then he's testing me for very rare adrenal-gland disorders.  I thought I was going bonkers before I came across this forum and found so many people in the same position.

2014 and 'womens problems' still seem to be taboo in the mainstream!

Glass.half.full

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 05:29:56 AM »

If only more women talked about their experiences!  When I first started with symptoms I felt like I was going bonkers.  During a get together with some girlfriends I started a discussion about menopause etc and I couldn't believe that 5 of my 6 friends were all experiencing similar things to me, one was already on HRT and another had gone through menopause already.  Who knew!! 

I remember tons of 'period' discussions in my early teens, monumental monologues during pregnancy and birth but peri- menopause and menopause?  Nowt!!  Is it because we feel it makes us sound old I wonder? 

I work with 15 lovely ladies, many of who are going through / already through menopause and apart from the old " ooh I'm having a hot one", even they don't want to talk about it.  Thank goodness for this site - at least reading all these comments I begin to feel normal again.

Happy days eh! 

Mary1962

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 09:46:35 PM »

I've had bouts of breathlessness, palpitations and when I know I'm taking enough iron for it not to be the flooding periods I was having leading to low iron I assume it's just all hormone changes related.  Horrid though as you do wonder what on earth is wrong with you as some days just one symptom after another.  Also had dizziness, wobbly legs, anxiety out of nowhere so am sure all part of the same thing.  My sister told me to stop moaning at the weekend and just to accept this is just this stage of life and it will pass and improve!