Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Amazon  (Read 10969 times)

Limpy

Re: Amazon
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 07:56:14 PM »

We have 2 kindles, the old one without the light and a paperwhite.
In many ways I prefer the old one, it's easier to use. Can go back to it after a gap of a couple of years and it's easy to work out how to do things.

oldsheep

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 01:08:40 PM »

No kindle, but use the kindle app on the iPad and love it. I read real books too.
I'm a regular Amazon customer. They are brilliant IMHO.
There does need to be a change in tax (avoidance) law though. Not just amazon. However the govt appears to think that would be a business-unfriendly move. So nothing will change.

babypink2807

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 07:39:37 PM »

I use Amazon a lot. I have a prime account so get my goodies very quickly its a great service

oldsheep

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 10:07:02 AM »

watch out with Prime as later on this year, they are upping the cost to include their movie streaming (which I don't use). I signed up for a free trial, then forgot to cancel Prime but have been enjoying the next day delivery. Think it's going up to nearly £80 though so will cancel.

annieb

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 07:44:30 AM »

I am an Amazon "merchant" and my company does at least 75% of its trade via Amazon.  As a result of this I and my staff pay taxes, corporation tax, national insurance and VAT plus we use Royal Mail (& keep some of their staff gainfully employed!) plus we buy stock and services from other UK companies and so on.
Without Amazon I would just be one single person employed by another company (or most likely at my age, claiming benefits!!).
Also Amazon employ a large number of people themselves who also pay tax and Amazon as a company will have to pay  employers national insurance on their own wage bill (around 10% on top of what they pay their staff), plus rent , rates etc for their warehouses
You only have to go into your local Royal Mail sorting office and see how many parcels have Amazon marked on them to see that RM are benefiting greatly from Amazon's success.
If everyone took the moral high ground and stopped using Amazon tomorrow - Amazon would continue elsewhere in the world but  likes of us  and those employed directly by them would suffer greatly. The government are well aware of the loopholes that Amazon (and others) exploit and it's down to them to sort this out. Stopping using Amazon will not change the way they operate

minkusmum

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 08:36:09 AM »

I was intrigued by this thread's title this morning and read with interest. As a result, I hope everyone will allow me to do a little "advertising" for my daughter's book, which is available for Kindle or as a real book. In it she tells the story of four couples who have been through IVF and are not facing the dilemma of what to do with the remaining frozen embryos, the options being implantation, donation to research, adoption by another infertile couple and destruction. The book is called Lives in Limbo and her name is Victoria Louise Hill.

If you like Jodie Piccoult you will like this - it made me cry, and I'm her harshest critic. It also opens up an issue that is only going to get more pressing as more and more embryos are created as a result of IVF.

If you want anymore information please PM me.

Thank you!  :)

Limpy

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 09:51:59 AM »

I am a definite Amazon fan.

I recently got some place mats which turned out to be unsuitable (OH had an outbreak of opinion). It was really easy to arrange the return and the refund was made to my credit card speedily.

Also, like Annieb says, they use the Royal mail which I think is good.

Witches Cat

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 04:38:29 PM »

Big Amazon fan here too, if you have a problem they are so helpful, had to get help last thursday, made a muck-up of ordering music via my phone, and got charged for something I'd never heard of and certainly didn't want, they talked me through removing it from the cloud using the computer at home and then actually ordering what I did want... top marks. (will be much more careful  next time)  I order card, dies and crafting stuff (my only vice, when I get time, which is not often) even had garden stuff on occasion.

Winterose

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 11:50:54 AM »

Annie b and Silverlady's comments say it all, we forget when we read those headlines that all the traders on Amazon pay their taxes and their suppliers and on it goes, and how many people on here have paid their plumbers/builders/cleaners in cash that is not declared.? :-*

Rowan

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 01:47:50 PM »

OH says I order so much from Amazon that soon I will have my own personal Amazon Drone to deliver my parcels ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98BIu9dpwHU

A few years off from that though.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2014, 01:50:27 PM »

I have my own drone delivering live meal worms weekly …….. in fact we know him so well that when we saw him parked in a nearby town and I knew he was due to deliver to us, we interupted his lunch break to sign for the package  ;D

"OH had an outbreak of opinion  "  :rofl:

Rowan

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2014, 03:02:55 PM »

I thought at first it was a hoax but its definitely in the pipe line at amazon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25180906

Wonder if the Supermarkets have plans too  ;D ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2014, 05:03:41 PM »

It takes more than 30 mins. to drive from here to the Amazon warehouse  ;D can you imagine the chaos above ground  ::)

I belong to a Forum which gets a donation if we buy from Amazon .........  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]