Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Getting over losing my pet  (Read 13782 times)

Dyan

Re: Getting over losing my pet
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2014, 09:30:38 PM »

:thankyou: honeyb.

:thankyou: dulciana for your kind words.

Yes she was very special.
We will be having a special place in the garden for her as she loved being out in the garden.
Being a Bernese mountain dog she was very fond of snow so she liked to be out in the garden all weathers,it didn't bother her.
Shame we didn't have any snow this winter but I'm sure there will be some the other side of rainbow bridge.
We are going to do a photo book of her too.

Thank you all for your comfort and support.

oldsheep

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2014, 09:12:48 AM »

I'm so sorry and send my love. Please don't feel bad about, or that you have to hide, your grieving. The loss of an unconditionally loved furry friend is devastating.
I still have some fur from a brush that I used on my 2 cats in a plastic bag in a kitchen drawer and there are still things I can't throw out, and that's 2009 that they passed away. I still have a file on the computer of Swampy's dark brown purr.
Time helps with the pain and it brings back a lot of the very happy memories, but I still keep fresh flowers from my little pots next to their caskets.

Lots of love Dulciana and Dyan.  :hug:

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2014, 12:39:45 PM »

For Dulciana and Dyan and anyone else that has lost a pet  :hug:  Pets play such a huge part in our lives that it's completely natural to grieve for them for a long time - I still shed tears over some of mine to this day, especially the ones when the outcome was "unfair" rather than old age.  Replacing a precious pet will never take their place in your heart but it does give you something else to think about and if you adopt from a rehoming centre then you're doing a double good deed in my eyes - there are a lot of pets out there looking for their "forever homes".  Time is a great healer though and at some point you will be able to remember them with smiles rather than tears - until that time carry on grieving for as long as you want to.

Dyan

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2014, 01:59:21 PM »

:thankyou: old sheep & Greyhoundgal

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2014, 02:50:29 PM »

I have 3 envelopes of fur from our cats but can't remember which is which  :-\ ......... DH doesn't know, they are at the bottom of my jumper drawer ......... when I'm in that part of the garden I always say 'good morning pussies' ...........

My Dad used to know Bernese in the 1940s when he visited France - now there's a long story short  ;)

dulciana

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2014, 05:39:54 PM »

I keep a piccy of our cat on the desktop, which I open when hubby isn't watching ('cause I'd feel silly!) and it's as if she's still there, alive and in front of me.   Lovely! 

Dyan

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2014, 07:41:06 PM »

My hubby went on the walk he would usually take our dog on and in his pocket he had some pieces of her fur he'd picked up off the vets floor.
He got to the piece of grass where she would stop and sniff and scattered the fur along the patch of grass.
We both shed a tear  :'(
I thought what a lovely thing to do.

Today has been hard as I went into work and had to tell my colleagues.
It was difficult when I came home as she wasn't there to welcome me.
I hovered at the door with the key in and waited before I went in.
It was awful,she wasn't there. I looked at her bed and broke down.
I spent a few minutes in the garden where she loved to be and sobbed :'(
People keep telling me it will get better.
I'm grieving like I haven't grieved before even when my dad died( does that sound horrible?)
Being the eldest child and my parents being divorced I had to sort out all the funeral arrangements and  I was told by relatives," you have to be strong,be brave"
It took me a long time to come to terms because I was putting on a brave face.
Did me no good at all >:(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »

Oh I loved my pets more than anyone else ……. DH knew where he was in the pecking line  ;).  I said hello to the pussies in their corner when I went out in the drizzle to cut ivy for the stick insects this morning  ::).  I am very teary now.

My DH would never have thought to do anything like that although he did walk out to her favourite hunting field when I scattered the ashes, on what would have been her 14th birthday. 

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2014, 12:19:16 PM »

Dyan, that was a lovely thing your husband did.  Could you perhaps plant a rose bush or small shrub in one of your dogs favourite resting places in the garden, just so you have somewhere to go and sit with them?  Our first ever greyhound - a huge gentle giant - loved laying out in the front garden under the pampas grass so that was where we buried him.  Might be daft but I often say hello to him as I walk up the drive and it's been 9 years now......

oldsheep

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2014, 03:00:17 PM »

that's a lovely idea GGGal. A special plant in their favourite spot.

Even when my old cat was blind and deaf and terribly ill, he'd love to be taken out of the flat window to lie on the flat roof outside (top flat) - in fact, even when blind and deaf he'd jump out of the window all by himself, the nutter. It took me about a year to even go out there after he passed.

Grief is different for everyone, but always so painful. Don't let anyone tell you how to feel and when you've "grieved enough", or to 'get another pet' or whatever. You'll know what feels right and when.
I still have no pets - 5 years on it still doesn't feel right. A friend of mine has lost 2 cats and has almost immediately got more cats, which works for her. xxx

Dyan

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2014, 06:09:51 PM »

Greyhoundgal- we are going to make her a little memorial garden with plants & flowers and hubby is going to get a waterproof canvas picture of her made to put on the fence above it.
Every time we look out of the window we will be able to see her and go out and sit with her in the garden.
It was very much her garden. She loved being out there,watching the neighbours cats teasing her as they walked along the fence.
She would have a little whine and jump up as if to stay, " well arn't you going to come down to play with me"?
Next doors cat is missing her. He came looking for her the day she was put to sleep.

Oldsheep- thank you for your kind words.
I have been asked if I will have another dog.
We haven't gone there yet,it is much too soon to even think about it.
I still haven't been able to hoover the carpet yet.
I found a little bit of her fur and I've wrapped it in tissue which I shall then keep in a little memorial box we will do for her.

honeybun

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2014, 07:08:59 PM »

Grieving for a pet is a very personal thing. We all do it differently. I have a little Bichon and I love her to bits. We got her a few months after we lost our Goldie. I still grieve for my golden girl. There will never be another come close but I can still love my tiny girl who is now 11.
When you are ready you will know. I did not wait all that long before I got another dog as the house was so empty without a dog despite having two young kids.

I have moved house twice so chose not to put any pets in the garden. I had an Irish Setter before my Goldie. I could not have left them behind. I have pictures and my memories and that's all I needed.

Honeyb
x
Pages: 1 2 [3]