Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Amazon  (Read 10968 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Amazon
« on: May 18, 2014, 04:18:31 PM »

We take the Company for granted, however, apparently they haven't been paying Corporation Tax to the UK because their HQ is in Luxemburg ……….. so DH has decided not to buy anything from them  :-\ ………. I think that the Government should have sorted this before allowing those huge warehouses to be built  ::) - the Company argues of course that they provide jobs across the UK …….

Joyce

Re: Amazon
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 04:26:07 PM »

Think you'll find many companies do this. I do agree they should be paying taxes though.

Linsey44

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 05:01:29 PM »

seems to me that the inland revenue is more eager to go after individuals - maybe they are an easier target for them or that large companies just have a better legal / accountancy team to find the loopholes than what the inland revenue does!

That said everyone including all size of companies should pay their taxes.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 06:44:01 PM »

I agree that they should pay tax like everyone else but as for not buying.

I am typing this on my Kindle and I buy loads of stuff for good prices. Don't think I am going to stop any time soon.

Difficult one  :o

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 06:52:15 PM »

£85B is a lot for a country to lose though, however, if we knew that any tax claimed would be well used, i.e. education, NHS, mending roads ………

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 07:39:13 PM »

Nor me I buy almost everything on amazon

We all like the cheaper deals on amazon( and don't complain) for everything and they are a very good reliable and successful  company , my kindle  is a way of life for me now  :)

The customer service is excellent.

Here is a quote from BBC report

"Analyst George Godber from Matterly Asset Management said the onus was on the authorities to change the rules, rather than on Amazon to pay more tax.

"We love to attack Amazon, but if they've operated within the laws and rules and regulations, then they've not done anything wrong. It is the laws and regulations that are at fault," he said, speaking on the BBC's Today programme"
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 07:39:05 AM by silverlady »

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 09:41:12 PM »

Very true SL. I buy lots from Amazon & will continue to do so.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 09:46:44 PM »

Me too - their service is so good - well for me it has been anyway. I ordered something for my son at 11 pm last Saturday - free delivery - and it arrived by 10 on Monday morning.

They have not broken any laws and they are just doing what the man on the street would do but just in a bigger way!

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 01:32:41 PM »

I have both can't give up books completely, its just the space issue.  I store my kindle books online along with my audible books.

Still order paper books from amazon.

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 01:45:40 PM »

I never thought I would take to a kindle either. Now I could not be without it. I have read so many different books and also use as a tablet.
I know they will bring something new out at Xmas and by that time my kindle will be two years old so I intend getting another one.

Honeyb
x

Rowan

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 02:03:08 PM »

I have my eye on the larger Kindle Fire 16GB so much more storage, the kindle is a perfect tablet, and I use it much more then my ipad.

Good old amazon :)

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 02:59:31 PM »

My kindle is one of older ones with no light. Bought a light for it, but it kept slipping off. Now have books downloaded on my nexus instead.

Rowan

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 03:13:16 PM »

I have one of those cubagirl, have though of deregistering it and passing it on, but the kindle paperwhite is much more popular now so not sure who would want it, though you can get on the web with it and it has key buttons.

It seems out of date now, how quickly we get use to new technology.

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 03:36:57 PM »

It's changing all the time. Mind you kindle would be good for holiday, if we ever go on one that is.

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 05:55:14 PM »

I have the kindle fire and hubby has the fire HD. Just love it but can't read outside with it..

Just bought a sewing machine from ......yes Amazon  ;D

Honeyb
x

Pages: [1] 2