Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Bit of advice please  (Read 3842 times)

honeybun

Bit of advice please
« on: May 17, 2014, 06:45:46 PM »

I have a sore patch of skin at the side of my nose. I have had it off and on for probably 18 months now, maybe longer.
It's causing a distinct brown patch. The skin is very tender and sometimes looks scaly. It's getting bigger. I have tried cortisone cream on it which helps a bit.
I am prone to dermatitis and eczema on other bits of my body.

Of course I am thinking it could be something nasty.  Should I get it checked  out. It seems such a little thing to bother the doctor with if it's just a patch of eczema.

Any advice.

Honeyb
x

ariadne

Re: Bit of advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 06:55:11 PM »

Do you have an upcoming appointment for anything else? I would ask next time I visited (although as I said in another thread- at my doctors you are only supposed to ask one thing per appointment ::))

Ariadne xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 06:56:23 PM »

Do not delay!  If this is worrying you how about seeing a Pharmacist?  No skin alteration should be left, for peace of mind if for nothing else!

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 07:20:57 PM »

Honeyb hopefully it's nothing nasty but it has been going on 18 months so perhaps best get it checked........

choc57

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 07:37:16 PM »

Yes I'd definitely get it looked at.
I have something called solar keratosis which appears as scaley patches on my face, not sore though but red/brownish and I have to use a cream on them twice a day for 3 months. If I were to ignore them there is a small risk that they would turn cancerous after many years and sometimes they don't respond to treatment but clear up on their own after a few years. They are caused by sun damage but for me sun damage from many years ago as I've kept my face out of the sun for around 20 years now due to vanity about wrinkles and I've never used a sunbed. Don't worry that you'll be told off for leaving it so long. I think I'd had my first one about 3 years before I went and it soon cleared up with treatment.
Yours might not be this but still go ASAP and at least you won't be worrying X

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 07:43:22 PM »

Thanks for that choc57.

I will call and put on an appointment as I think it's more than just dry skin.
Did your GP deal with it or did you have to see someone else.

Honeyb
x

choc57

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 08:20:17 PM »

Hi, no my GP referred me to a dermatologist at the hospital. I don't think I had to wait long though. Good glad you're going to get it checked. Don't worry though I'm sure it'll be fine X

Trey

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 02:56:09 AM »

Could be an actinic keratosis, which should be frozen off as it can be precancerous.  Also looks better when healed.  Can also be a seborrhea keratosis, which means you are getting old.  Oops!
It could also be a squamous cell, which must be removed, and is the reason you must not wait any longer.  So be a good girl and get the job done.😊😊

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 08:52:13 AM »

Agree with what has been said HB, see you Dr. and get it sorted out.

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 10:11:17 AM »

These things are always best checked HB.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 04:08:51 PM »

we are all holding your hand  ;)

tiger74

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 04:29:12 PM »

Probably a good idea to get it checked out.  If your GP isn't sure what it is he/she will probably refer you to a dermatologist.  That's what happened to me many years ago when I had a brown patch on my face which changed shape and was slightly raised - turned out to be nothing wrong but both the GP and dermatology consultant said I was right to report it (especially as I'm fair-skinned and there's a history of skin cancer and rodent ulcers in my family)

BTW I know you weren't asking about eczema treatments, but, for what it's worth ...  I had excellent results from Chinese Herbal Medicine for eczema which I was prone to on my hands especially - after a few months' treatment the eczema has never returned  :D

Wishing you all the best whatever you decide to do.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:23:51 PM by tiger74 »

Annika

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 01:08:37 PM »

skin cancers seem to be more and more common these days and usually are quite treatable. I had several over the years all basal cell carcinomas which rarely spread.  The location is often on the sides of the nose i suppose that area gets hit by the sun more perhaps. Hubby had several removed off his shoulder and the doctor just frozen them off. I had the MOS surgery on my nose and then just a cancer killing cream on my cheek for the second one. Both looked like a freckle more or less but always better to get it sorted before it grows to the point where it will scar. Good luck Honeybun