Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: going off oestrogen  (Read 2343 times)

Auntie Megan

going off oestrogen
« on: May 15, 2014, 11:36:22 PM »

Hi there!

I have been on oestrogen only, (hysterectomy two years ago), still have ovaries. I am 53 and went through menopause a year before the hysterectomy.  I had been having hot flushes for 4 years prior to going onto HRT.  They were really bad and i endured them for as long as i could.  I have had to stop abruptly because a week ago i had a TIA.  I was on progynova 1mg.  Today is day 4 without. So far i haven't had any recurrence of hot flushes, but what do people think the likely hood of them returning now are? I think i missed a few days in the past and they came back...

Joyce

Re: going off oestrogen
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 06:18:17 AM »

A bit early to tell. I came off HRT, oestrogen only, cold turkey a few years ago. Flushes started to return within a week & for gradually worse, until I couldn't take it any more. GP put me back on it after 8 months. I was your age.

I do wish you luck though, as we're all different.

Rowan

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 08:16:47 AM »

I am older then you Auntie Megan, I had a hyst but kept ovaries, and used a 25 patch, I decided to use less and less estrogen and now get by with hardly any and feel very well, I never had intense flushes and none now.

The progynova you used was a "natural occurring" hormone estradiol valerate in a pill form. I don't know what your doctor has suggested but the fact that you have had a TIA means that it could preclude you from taking estrogen, if it had been me I would not touch estrogen again, even if it was suggested in a patch form.

Coming off estrogen abruptly may cause a backlash because your body has not gotten use to a lower level, and it may take time if you are lucky for the flushes to calm down. 

Here is some info   http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Transient-ischaemic-attack/Pages/Prevention.aspx 

Depending on what you read estrogen theraphy either has no impact on stroke (very low risk) or can contribute along with other deciding factors.

There are other ways you can support your body post menopause if your doctor says no estrogen, have a google, but you must heed what your doctors tell you as far a TIA and Stroke are concerned.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 08:45:31 AM by silverlady »

Auntie Megan

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 09:21:26 AM »

thank you,
yes, i know no more oestrogen  :'( I was so happy with the way the oestrogen so quickly eliminated my hot flashes - the only problem i had on the oestrogen was a bit of thrush until the TIA the other week - i woke up in the middle of the night and had NO sight at all in my left eye - i have had lots of tests and they have decided i probably had a small clot that lodged behind my optic nerve. I was lucky really that i woke up to go to the bathroom or I would not have known it had happened.

I also take effexor for recurrent depressive episodes, although i haven't had one since being on effexor - about 7 before that. I believe effexor is often used to reduce hot flashes in people that can't take HRT - but obviously not me!

Auntie Megan

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 09:23:50 PM »

so, day 6 of no oestrogen and a few minor hot flashes (really just a little warm) - started yesterday.  OK over night.  I am crossing my fingers!

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 07:39:05 AM »

Fingers crossed for you Auntie Megan. I came off HRT after seven years in August. It took around eight weeks for the symptoms to return but a friend who had been on it for a similar time has stopped it with no return of symptoms, apart from vaginal dryness, at all. I hope that this is the same for you.

Taz x

Auntie Megan

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 06:22:05 PM »

Thank you Taz2, me too!