Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hello from a post-menopausal new join  (Read 2487 times)

sharon84

Hello from a post-menopausal new join
« on: May 14, 2014, 12:10:08 PM »

I'm so glad to have found you and hope you can help/reassure me!  I am 56 next month and thought I had sailed through the menopause relatively unscathed.  The only symptoms I had were a few months of night sweats, mood swings, depression and my periods finished four years ago.  So, I was alarmed when I started getting 'funny turns' since February.  A feeling of doom, weakness and a kind of adrenaline surge, followed by feeling of being 'spaced out'.  Only lasting a couple of minutes, but stopping me in my tracks and making me feel very unnerved!  My GP has tested my heart, bloods for everything you can think of and is now looking at the possibility of it being a very rare non-malignant tumour of the adrenal glands.  Not once has the menopause/hormone irregularities been mentioned!  Does anyone on here have similar experience of these episodes and any idea how to overcome them.  I can't take HRT.  Also, I wake up at 3am on the dot, with similar surges and pounding heart.

It would be lovely to hear from you x

Trey

Re: Hello from a post-menopausal new join
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 12:59:26 PM »

Adrenalin surges are fairly common and can be from many causes, one of which is low blood sugar.  You might try eating protein before you go to bed or have a snack at your bedside should you wake up early.  I take a tiny dose of beta blocker to calm things down immediately. I would not look for big issues at this point as so many ladies have this. 

sharon84

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 02:27:05 PM »

Thank you, I'll give that a go!

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 06:44:36 PM »

Hi sharon. I experience these feelings but just before I got a hot sweat. It's as if you are getting the pre-sweat and after sweat experience without the actual sweat itself. Did you get these sort of feelings when you were having hot flushes?

Although you are obviously worried at least you are being taken seriously and you will be able to find out what is wrong.

Taz  :hug:

Lilyloos

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 06:01:01 PM »

Hi sharon84, this is the same for me, Ive replied to a couple of your posts tonight and want to let you know these symptoms are so common on this website, that it is more than likely normal for you.  I would have thought an adrenal gland benign tumour unlikely.  I do what Trey suggests low dose beta blocker if heart really making you anxious, and as Taz says, it's lime the hot flush without the actual flush, you get the build up and after effects but not the middle bit!  Just the same as me  ;D

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 07:16:19 PM »

Could the horrible feelings be linked to caffeine at all?

I use HRT and mostly feel ok but if I have full strength coffee after 1 in the afternoon I feel agitated and panicky the rest of the day. Then I don't get to sleep before 1am, normally I'me out for the count by 11pm.

sharon84

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 12:31:45 PM »

Thank you all for your really helpful advice.  It is so reassuring!  I'm sure it's like a flush from what you have been telling me... perhaps the flushing will kick in later!  Nice to know the GP is taking it seriously and listening, but I'm sure it's just the menopause.  No-one tells you how frightening it can be!  I can remember my mum being diagnosed with panic attacks at about my age and being prescribed beta blockers - I wonder if it was the same thing?  I'll pick her brains!

Great forum - so pleased to have found you xx