Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Progesterone only HRT - cycle?  (Read 3029 times)

SilverFairy

Progesterone only HRT - cycle?
« on: August 11, 2014, 10:31:03 AM »

I, personally, (disclaimer! - anyone wanting to do the same, please do your own research) have been on Progesterone only for quite a while now and it is suiting me very well.
One thing I'm not absolutely sure about is which days, in a month, one should take the progesterone?
I am well into menopause and have all my bits!  :)
Thank you.

Hurdity

Re: Progesterone only HRT - cycle?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 10:49:30 AM »

Hi SilverFairy

I'm not sure what symptoms you have that you have decided on Progesterone only?

It is not usually classed as HRT as such because HRT really refers to oestrogen or oestrogen + progesterone replacement.

However during peri-menopause when hormone levels fluctuate wildly some women are particularly sensitive to the surges and drops of progesterone which can fluctuate more than in the menstrual cycle. I understand some women find that progesterone during the second half of the cycle can minimise the surges and the level is more consistent. However as oestrogen levels also fluctuate many women are also sensitive to this, and definitely later in menopause when oestrogen levels drop to a constant low level, women find that replacing oestrogen is what is needed. Some women are also sensitive to the fall in oestrogen at the end of the cycle and this also causes other symptoms.

Progesterone is always at a low level suring the early phase of the menstrual cycle and cycles between this and the high level following ovulation - to maintain a pregnancy, and post-menopausally it remains at the same low level once ovulation is over for ever and the ovaries have ceased working.

Many women however find that progesterone itself causes permanent pmt type symptoms throughout the second half of the cycle so intake would be kept to a minimum!

If you have decided to take it, there is no danger in taking it at any time but as I explained above it depends on your reasons.

Have you seen the article on this site about peri-menopause?
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Hurdity x

SilverFairy

Re: Progesterone only HRT - cycle?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 11:21:06 AM »

I had flushes and mood swings, the latter which normal HRT didnt help. Progesterone has helped both, it also doesn't give me fluid retention!
This is something I have researched and wish to stay on, just need to know what and how many days I should be taking it?