Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: GP VISIT TODAY  (Read 2946 times)

jazzfunkanne

GP VISIT TODAY
« on: May 14, 2014, 08:48:36 AM »

my gp gave me 24 vagifem pessary today referred me to gyn for pelvic floor (not sure what this is for) i asked about hrt she said i was over the worst now, (8 years post menopausal) am age 50 with a lower bone dentsity of 20% for some one my age, she said I would have too wean off it any way so not much point in taking it, am at a loss. I have been 8 years now without anything for the menopause.

sweatybet

Re: GP VISIT TODAY
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 09:05:43 AM »

Not knowing your history, I would say you have been severely let down by your GP. They have ignored the NICE guidelines for early menopause and you may have a case to sue. Your bone density may improve with HRT. You could potentially take it for at least 10 years as you are only 50. What has been the reason you have not received HRT?

Let's hope the consultant will help you.

SB

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 09:12:24 AM »

jazfunkanne
If you have gone all through your 40s with no extra oestrogen then frankly your GP is negligent :cuss: The argument about having to come off HRT at some stage is a nonsense - I came off HRT 6 months ago(I'm now 58) and it hasn't been that bad.  I had premature meno and have taken HRT for most of the last 20years.  I had a break in my late 40s and suffered for 3 years then went back on. This time my flushes settled quite quickly but I am feeling very tired and achey. However, at least having used HRT till recently, I have protected my heart and bones for a few more years.
If your periods stopped 8 years ago this is a premature menopause and the long term consequences for your heart and bones could be a problem.
If your bones are already suffering because of the lack of oestrogen then it is well worth using HRT for at least 5 years to help build them up again.
Vagifem should help with problems of all your lady bits.  Pelvic floor exercises will help with bladder control and prevent prolapses. Have you been referred to a physiotherapist or a gynaecologist?
Why not pay the £25 for an email consultation with Dr Currie on this site? You could then show it to your GP?  DG x
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:59:55 PM by Dancinggirl »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 09:21:10 PM »

Do you mean that you have been asking your GP for HRT advice for 8 years, or that you have been menopausal for those years?

Have a talk with your Practice Nurse, change surgeries or speak privately (free) to a Pharmasist in your area!

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 10:23:48 PM »

I have been menopausal for 8 years and asking gps advice over the years, but they dont seem too be in favour of it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 10:26:37 PM »

Why did you stay with the Surgery if you required support?   :-\  ………

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »

Hi jazzfunkkanne
I am appalled to hear your story. Please look under the Red heading 'Premature Menopause', print this off and take it to your GP. You need to point out to them that their lack of support has possibly resulted in long term health issues for you, especially osteoporosis.
The NICE Guidelines clearly state that oestrogen therapy for premature meno (before the age of 50) is recommended unless there are other health issues that prevent this.
If you were to take HRT now for 5 years you could possibly help to reverse some of the damage or at least limit the bone loss.
If they do prescribe HRT for you, do continue to use Vagifem as it may take some time for that to work and many need to use it alongside full HRT.  Don't let them fob you off with the cheap premique low dose, ask for Femeston 1/10 as this has a kinder progesterone that is well tolerated by many women.  Good luck and keep us posted.  DG x

oldsheep

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 08:45:11 AM »

are you with one of those GPs who see doing your own research ("the internet" sigh, roll eyes etc from them) as being threatening to their authority?
Are they the only practice/others even worse?
I got stuck with my surgery as the alternatives are even worse or far away/I had an argument with the very autocratic and inflexible chief GP so she wouldn't take me as a patient.