Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Interested in what people achieve by joining an on-line forum  (Read 4021 times)

tiger74

Hi everyone,

I'm starting this thread in the 'New Members' section as I do still feel like a new member although I have been reading some threads and posting occasionally since mid February.

Having purposely avoided on-line forums during my various health issues (thyroid problems and breast cancer), I have, however, gleaned some information from another on-line forum (not related to menopause).  The Menopause Matters forum is proving to be a somewhat useful place for me to gather practical tips and ideas from other people who may be experiencing similar issues with menopausal symptoms as I am.  (A lot of the threads are irrelevant to me as I am unable to take HRT but I can see that some of the information posted here may be useful for people who are making decisions about HRT).     

So, my main impetus for coming here was practical (non-clinical) information gathering to help with day-to-day life. 

We are all different and have different needs and approaches to life in general so I'm interested to know other people's motivations for coming here and, from the more established members, what are the main things that you gain from being on the forum on an ongoing basis?

Thanks for reading this and please do comment if you'd like to share your thoughts on this. 

Witches Cat

Re: Interested in what people achieve by joining an on-line forum
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 12:44:53 PM »

Hi there,  I've been looking at this site since 2009, popping on and off as the mood takes me. I take comfort from reading other ladies posts, and knowing that I'm not alone in how I feel and think. It helps me decide when I need to pluck up courage to see the doc, and when I can reasonably assume that whatever is afflicting me this time is meno related and calm down a bit. Sometimes I reply to posts (as now) and sometimes I ask my own questions and always..and I mean always... get replies.  Just to have someone who understands wherever they may be, who can offer support and advice is marvelous. Through a member giving me advice recently, I have found the Alzhiemer's forum as well, which, because of my father-in-law who's been diagnosed with the condition and who I help my husband look after, has been a great help. I hope I don't need to refer back too it too often but if I know if I need to I can. And that's thanks to the meno matters forum lovely users.
 :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 03:15:25 PM »

I have been a member of lots of Forums in the last few years, mainly pet/dog/camping oriented.  To share, glean info., swap ideas and even to meet like-minded people: to gain advice, ask and add experiences ............. from each I have learnt ........ not always agreed with info but it is a learning curve!

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 03:36:58 PM »

I like this one in particular, can ask things, get support & also have a laugh along the way. I've tried others, asthma & dairy free ones but although helpful practically, there's not the same banter. This one is like chatting with your BFFs.  :)

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 03:52:31 PM »

When I landed at MMs door I thought I was probably going mad or about to die.

What I got was reassurance that I was going to do neither. I got to speak to women that had been there and done that and had several T shirts. I have been here ever since as I enjoy the chat and I have learned so much over the years and sometimes I can actually help someone else.
I have made some good friends and we PM regularly which is really nice.

I stay because it's a nice place to be.

Honeyb
x

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 03:53:44 PM »

Same for me.

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 10:32:33 PM »

Pass me a tissue, I've bcome  all  :'( :'( :'(  ;) ;) ;) Great bunch on here.

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 11:16:52 AM »

This forum has provided a lifeline for me and still does. I check in every day and greatly value all the support and advice that other women provide.
Well done ladies and keep up the good work.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 03:21:21 PM »

Group  :hug: ………..  :foryou:

westie

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 06:04:05 PM »

If it wasn't for this forum I would have worried myself to an early grave!!

jgr

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 10:42:03 PM »

This site has helped me on numerous occasions, and kept me sane along the way.
 I also pop in every day for an update and have recommended this site to various colleagues. Keep up the good work MM's.

dulciana

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 10:58:50 AM »

This forum lets me go on talking about meno things long after hubby's had enough!!   That aside, the note-swapping, support and encouragement from this site are worth their weight in gold.   

Linsey44

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 07:22:38 PM »

Interesting thread tiger

Makes me feel less isolated and reasurred especiallly as surgical meno symptoms kicking in now. None of my friends have any symtoms yet, most of them have mirena coils which i assume is helping them.
Its not till i read lots of the threads with everyone listing symptoms and emotions i realised i was prob peri meno for years and just thought i was constantly ill or going mad.

This site has given me a greater understanding of the issues women face and why she should prob be more tolerant and supportive of other women which for myself who is usually impatient isnt a bad lesson to learn.

Wombat

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 08:37:30 PM »

This forum provides support where I can't find any !

The ladies are great and make me feel almost 'normal'......

My DH has also found it useful when he 'doesn't understand' what is happening to me

A real life saver

Wombat x