Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Progesterone is Calming? Now I'm confused  (Read 5659 times)

coolatlast

Progesterone is Calming? Now I'm confused
« on: May 07, 2014, 05:28:57 PM »

A lot of ladies are saying they hate the Progesterone stage of HRT and can't tolerate it, but now I have just found something that says Progesterone has a calming effect.

So why all the hate towards progesterone?

Its Oestrogen that must be causing all the anxiety?
Now I'm really confused.com  :-\

''Progesterone, the other female sex hormone, down regulates estrogen activity. Progesterone is produced by the ovaries. It reduces anxiety and has a calming effect on mood. It makes women happy. Postpartum depression is caused by a rapid decline in progesterone levels. Progesterone increases sleepiness, helps to build and maintain bones, slows the digestive process, promotes appetite and fat storage (which are important in pregnancy), helps breast tissue mature, and prepares breasts to produce milk.''

dahliagirl

Re: Progesterone is Calming? Now I'm confused
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 05:37:22 PM »

It certainly slows the digestive process - I can vouch for that ;)

It relaxes smooth muscle, which includes the uterus, and the digestive tract.

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 07:58:52 PM »

So why all the hate towards progesterone?

Its Oestrogen that must be causing all the anxiety?

A lot of ladies have problems with the progesterone phase of sequi HRT, they tend not to with the oestrogen phase.

Also, some progesterones are "kinder" than others. The one which is in Evorel seems to be less well tolerated and appears to cause anxiety.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 06:32:53 AM »

It doesn't slow down my digestive process - quite the opposite. It makes me grouchy and bad tempered, weepy and achy and generally yuk but it's always done that for the last ten days of my cycle right from the age of 11.

Some women on here do feel much better on the progesterone phase. Most confusing.

Taz x

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 12:23:22 PM »

I take Femoston 1/10 and definitely feel better on the progesterone part of the pack.  I feel sluggish and a bit moody on the oestrogen part but once I get into the 2nd section of the pack I'm fine again  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 04:58:45 PM »

It is important to distinguish between progesterone (the hormone our body makes) and the synthetic progestogens which form part of some HRT.

There is a huge amount of information about all of this in the menu, but the basic purpose of progestogens of any type, as part of HRT, is to protect the uterus from thickening (endometrial hyperplasia) which can lead to cancer. Any other effect on the body is immaterial - outside basic safety checks and trials before the progestins (ie synthetic progestogens) are marketed.

That's the first thing - many women just do not get on with the synthetic types which can cause side effects

Secondly - many women suffer from some form of pms during the second half of their menstrual cycle - which is when progesterone in the body rapidly rises and falls. Many women are affected both by the rise and fall, and some throughout the two weeks from the progesterone itself. It exerts physiological changes in the body which can cause adverse symptoms. For women who suffered from pms for the whole of the second half of the month - then even bio-identical progesterone in HRT will disagree with them.

Thirdly - unfortunately there is a lot of information on the web about progesterone, much of which is designed to sell it, or promoted by private practitioners - mainly in US where people have to pay for health care. Any article which makes a blanket statement progesterone (makes women happy" is dubious in my book. You will find lots of threads (including recent ones) where this is argued so I suggest you search for these rather than rehearse again.

Prof Studd an eminent research gynaecologist treats women with post-natal depression, with oestrogen. You can read all about his work here: http://www.studd.co.uk/

I'm not sure about the calming either - I think a better description is that it has a sedative effect - which some argue is beneficial for some women in small amounts, but in others is so sedating as to lead to fatigue, lack of clarity of thought (cotton wool head), headaches, depression and similar.

Most women feel at their best during the first half of their menstrual cycle when oestrogen rises - so if anything this is really the "happy" hormone (although this isn't a word I would use!) - in the sense that it gives women vitality and zest for life.

Some women feel bad when they get to the oestrogen part of the HRT - initially - but this is often normal pmt, and is a result of progesterone withdrawal. Once it has gone from the system - there can be a few days of well-being - but this is one drawback of HRT for some women, that progresterone and eits effects are oftne felt for longer than on the menstrual cycle.

I agree it's confusing when you first start reading about it - so hope this helps.

Hurdity x

coolatlast

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 05:19:47 PM »

Thanks for that explanation Hurdity!

I have been dreading reaching those little green pills! (especially as they are getting nearer and nearer???, but now I understand a little bit more about how it works, I think I will be okay!

I WILL be Okay! :)

Dandelion

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 05:43:39 PM »

It is important to distinguish between progesterone (the hormone our body makes) and the synthetic progestogens which form part of some HRT.

There is a huge amount of information about all of this in the menu, but the basic purpose of progestogens of any type, as part of HRT, is to protect the uterus from thickening (endometrial hyperplasia) which can lead to cancer. Any other effect on the body is immaterial - outside basic safety checks and trials before the progestins (ie synthetic progestogens) are marketed.

That's the first thing - many women just do not get on with the synthetic types which can cause side effects

Secondly - many women suffer from some form of pms during the second half of their menstrual cycle - which is when progesterone in the body rapidly rises and falls. Many women are affected both by the rise and fall, and some throughout the two weeks from the progesterone itself. It exerts physiological changes in the body which can cause adverse symptoms. For women who suffered from pms for the whole of the second half of the month - then even bio-identical progesterone in HRT will disagree with them.

Thirdly - unfortunately there is a lot of information on the web about progesterone, much of which is designed to sell it, or promoted by private practitioners - mainly in US where people have to pay for health care. Any article which makes a blanket statement progesterone (makes women happy" is dubious in my book. You will find lots of threads (including recent ones) where this is argued so I suggest you search for these rather than rehearse again.

Prof Studd an eminent research gynaecologist treats women with post-natal depression, with oestrogen. You can read all about his work here: http://www.studd.co.uk/

I'm not sure about the calming either - I think a better description is that it has a sedative effect - which some argue is beneficial for some women in small amounts, but in others is so sedating as to lead to fatigue, lack of clarity of thought (cotton wool head), headaches, depression and similar.

Most women feel at their best during the first half of their menstrual cycle when oestrogen rises - so if anything this is really the "happy" hormone (although this isn't a word I would use!) - in the sense that it gives women vitality and zest for life.

Some women feel bad when they get to the oestrogen part of the HRT - initially - but this is often normal pmt, and is a result of progesterone withdrawal. Once it has gone from the system - there can be a few days of well-being - but this is one drawback of HRT for some women, that progresterone and eits effects are oftne felt for longer than on the menstrual cycle.

I agree it's confusing when you first start reading about it - so hope this helps.

Hurdity x
Hi Hurdity

Allopragnalone is a metabolite of progesterone, and a potent modulator of our GABA system, the body's natural calming system.
Allopregnalone also has anticonvulsant and antianxiety properties according to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allopregnanolone.

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 06:18:04 PM »

Think that article is a bit too complex for me Dandelion. Perhaps you could explain a bit.

Honeyb
x

Limpy

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 06:47:34 PM »

Is the GABA system that is modulated anything to do with the system controlled (modulated) by Gabapentin / Neurontin?