Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Could the contraceptive pill mask the fact I was menopausal?  (Read 3087 times)

stanley2012

Could it be possible that whilst I stayed on the POP that it could have kept my periods regular and that is why i didnt start to have irregular periods until a few months of coming off it?  I just wondered as emotionally I seem to have felt this way for a few years now but until I came off the pill I didnt know it could be the menopause.

Limpy

Re: Could the contraceptive pill mask the fact I was menopausal?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 03:56:41 PM »

That happened with me.

I stayed on the COCP till I was 54 and had regular bleeds. After I stopped it, no more bleeds. However, there had been some hints of VA prior to stopping the pill though, since my early forties thinking about it.

However, I'me not sure whether things work the same with the POP as the COCP.

positivethoughts

Re: Could the contraceptive pill mask the fact I was menopausal?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 08:36:24 AM »

Hi stanley

I came off Cerazette POP in Feb this year after several years. I didn't have periods whilst I was taking it really, just the occasional small bleed. I started having peri-meno symptoms so decided to stop the Cerazette to see what was happening re my cycle as the POP was masking what was going on. I have only just had a withdrawal bleed from the Cerazette after 11 weeks of building up to it. Awful PMS symptoms during that time. After a few days of period I now feel as though it's all starting again, lower back aches and lower abdom aches, so perhaps like you I will have irregular periods for a while. I have no idea what to expect. I do know from looking at a thread on another forum that without exception women have found coming off Cerazette very problematic.

An FSH test did indicate I was peri but that was in Jan before I stopped the POP so I'm going to ask for another test to see what that shows now.

Let me know how you are doing :)