Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Why do we let GP's boss us about?  (Read 41652 times)

Rowan

Re: Why do we let GP's boss us about?
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2014, 12:34:08 PM »

As far a vitamin/mins and supplements are concerned, you are in one camp or the other, and I know which one I am happily in, I don't need reports to tell me otherwise, ( by the way which has been disproved)

BigPharma would patent vits/mins is they could!!

I know their worth.

coolatlast

« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2014, 12:38:54 PM »

When it comes to the menopause,
I suppose taking HRT and living an unhealthy lifestyle won't do you much good and
   -   vice versa?

Its possible the two ways of doing things can live alongside each other -  in peace? ::)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:41:37 PM by coolatlast »

honeybun

« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »

If all vitamins are a waste of money why do some GPs do tests for low levels of for example Vit D ?.

My GP has an interest in vit supplements and has pointed me in the direction of things she thinks may help. My dentist has an interest in homeopathic medicine and again is happy to recommend.

It's a bit of a sweeping statement to say all vitamins are a complete waste of money to be honest.

Honeyb
x

Sarah2

« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2014, 12:50:35 PM »

Not my opinion as such HB- but have read of this research from a leading uni.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10521920/Vitamins-are-a-waste-of-money-say-scientists.html

The final section is of particular relevance.

The findings lead to fears that the NHS could be wasting £80 million a year prescribing vitamin D for diseases like Cancer, Parkinson's and diabetes.
Doctors currently believe that Vitamin D has a role in disease prevention and promotes the uptake of calcium and bone formation.
But Public Health England is reviewing its recommendations for vitamin D which are expected to be published next year.

GPs are not experts- they are not researchers and many are not up to date.
The posts about most GPs and HRT on this site is testimony to that.

If individuals want to waste their money on vitamins that is their choice.

You can get as much Vit D as you need by eating eggs daily and oily fish, plus a bit of summer sun, and most margarines/ buttery spreads are Vit D supplemented.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:56:20 PM by Sarah2 »

honeybun

« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2014, 12:56:34 PM »

It would be really helpful if the medical profession could all agree on the subject.

For every report against there is another for.
No wonder we get confused as to what is best.

I guess even if vitamins just have a placebo effect then if it makes you feel better then you are part of the way there already.

Honeyb
x

Rowan

« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2014, 01:04:28 PM »

I shall go on happily "wasting" my money :)

The Telegraph has a vendetta against anything not main stream and enjoys bashing people who think otherwise.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 01:12:46 PM by silverlady »

Sarah2

« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2014, 01:13:03 PM »

The Telegraph has included some features on all kinds of complementary medicine over the years.

Can I suggest, kindly, that you note the difference between a report based on a research study ( factual) and a feature which promotes the writer's opinion? There is a difference.

But that's hardly the point is it- the research was carried out by 2 leading universities- including Warwick. The reporter is reporting - I am sure you could find the report online yourself and read it then you won't need to be spun any biased reporting by the naughty Telegraph!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 01:14:48 PM by Sarah2 »

Rowan

« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2014, 01:37:07 PM »

I think Lynne Mctaggart may have a different opinion about certain Journalists.

http://www.lynnemctaggart.com/blog/251-vitamins-dont-work-the-real-story-behind-the-headlines

Whatever you say Sarah won't change my mind on the value of taking supplements no matter how many studies you link factual or not. 

It makes my head spin about  factual studies that contradict one another about HRT, I don't have a clear understanding about it because of this, and quite honestly I don't think anyone else has either.

I take supplements always have always will, as for prescribed hormones there will always be a doubt even if I do continue with the small amount I do take.

We must settle for disagreeing on a lot of things that's all there is too it.

Sarah2

« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2014, 01:43:14 PM »

Believe it or not SL I am not posting just to you! When I wrote 'individuals' I was not aiming that specifically at you!

The links are there for everyone to see- remember this forum can be viewed by anyone even if they are not posting- look at the numbers of views compared to the number of posters :)

That link to the Telegraph is only one place this news was reported- it was in all the papers incl the Times, the BBC website and more.

There is no need for you to defend your choices because they only matter to you.  I haven't even mentioned what I do or not do- I try to keep the discussion factual and that's why I link to research so everyone can read and make their own minds up.

But I'd still go along with proper research and real scientific trials rather than a lot of dubious stuff written by non-experts who are simply giving their opinions- and making themselves a lot of money in the process!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:00:35 PM by Sarah2 »

Dandelion

« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2014, 01:56:53 PM »

It is interesting that in some societies, there is no word for 'hot flush' which indicates that possibly diet in the western world is related to hot flushes.

Also, we women were not meant to live into our sixties and seventies, but becauase of medical science, we are living longer.

With this fact in mind, I dunno what all the fuss and taboos are around HRT.
It should be that, if you are a woman who's meno symptoms are affecting the quality of your life, you go to the doctors, get HRT and get better.

If you don't want HRT, then don't get it.

Doctors are also to blame for carrying on this nonsense taboo about it. When I speak to my doctor about it, you would think I was requesting class A drugs off her.

Rowan

« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2014, 01:58:48 PM »

They all will be highly entertained and tune in daily  :)

honeybun

« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2014, 03:17:26 PM »

;D::)

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2014, 03:54:23 PM »

The War years were the healthiest that people in the UK have ever been! because sugar was on rationing, as was petrol - so people walked/cycled places ....... they ate what was to hand, no processed grub around then  ;)

I don't know how my grandmothers coped but my paternal Gran had lovely soft skin - she used Cuticura ointment, 4711, soap and water.  My maternal gran had what would now be classed as post natal depression after her 4th child and had to go away ....... she didn't like being shut in etc.; both grans were in Service, walked miles through out their lives ........ as did their children.

GPs are damned if they do, damned if they don't.  I usually go to see my Practice Nurse for a chat to find out the current thinking but my GP has been wonderful so far.  Some however are tyed by funding restraints, not only with relation to HRT.  Mental health issues are also difficult to access  :-\

We go to the Surgery at a vulnerable time - been there, done that, found it hard work  :'( .......... so sometimes it is difficult to push for what we need so I recommend that one takes a partner/friend with a list to point out the whys and where-fores ........

coolatlast

« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2014, 03:55:55 PM »

It is interesting that in some societies, there is no word for 'hot flush' which indicates that possibly diet in the western world is related to hot flushes.

Also, we women were not meant to live into our sixties and seventies, but becauase of medical science, we are living longer.

With this fact in mind, I dunno what all the fuss and taboos are around HRT.
It should be that, if you are a woman who's meno symptoms are affecting the quality of your life, you go to the doctors, get HRT and get better.

If you don't want HRT, then don't get it.

Doctors are also to blame for carrying on this nonsense taboo about it. When I speak to my doctor about it, you would think I was requesting class A drugs off her.
Dandelion, the first Doctor I saw about HRT also treated me like I was requesting Class A drugs!    Luckily the 2nd Doctor had her head switched on and I got my prescription.

Years ago, I had a Doctor (since retired) and I remember him saying that he thought that HRT was responsible for a lot of ills of society.  He said that, because lots of women these days were taking HRT, they were being active for longer (and going 'out and about more (for want of a better word) ???'  - and it was his view that it was breaking up families!!)

He then proceeded to ramble on, about how he thought the old ways were best, -  where the woman went through natural menopause and was content to stay at home and give up sex while the husband 'took on a mistress'.

I kid yee not!  he actually said all that!!!!

Come to think of it, I think  I was suffering from mild post natal depression at the time - and he was doing that 'talking about this and that' thing they do - probably to try and assess how well you're following and contributing to the conversation, I suppose - which is a good indication of seeing how depressed you are.

Anyway, Some conversation that was!

Will never forget that!

I remember making a mental note at the time (I was only in my 30's), that when the time came for me to go on HRT (if I chose to) - I would avoid him with a BARGE POLE!!! ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 04:02:55 PM by coolatlast »

Hurdity

« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2014, 04:25:56 PM »

Have missed most of this as have been busy and out and about but way back there was mention of HRT being a drug. If it is bio-identical then it isn't, it is two hormones. Using ADs to treat the conditions of menopause for example is using drugs.

coolatlast - you said this a while back:

"I'm not sorry I started this topic, as it has got people talking and debating.
~And if we don't talk and debate - then a few years from now -  there won't BE any HRT to discuss.

There will be such apathy and 'acceptance' that they (the med profession),  will decide that women no longer want or need it (except for 'special' cases)  -   And it will be Scrapped altogether."

Just to respectfully point out that this forum has always been about debating and talking (as well as helping, advising, supporting) and all the comments made in this thread have been made before and elsewhere, about being assertive with doctors, the benefits and risks of HRT, the value of vitamins and supplements. Some of the latest research and articles are often quoted, with links. Not to say that it isn't interesting to discuss again, but if you read back through the threads you will see how we discuss and debate - but often in the context of advising an individual woman or members about her particular treatment and how she should approach her doctor.

There hasn't necessarily been a big noise about it, but I like to think that members of the forum who help individual women with their queries and questions, and what they should say to their GPs, have quietly made a real difference to many women's lives, and as has been said, this forum and all the threads are read by many more women than are actually members, and I hope it gives them confidence.

Doing something political to effect change is a different matter altogether, and probably outside the scope of this forum, but we do have had an opportunity for example to input into the scope of the Menopause Guidelines Development Group through Dr Currie.

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11