Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I think I'm going mad  (Read 7216 times)

legojayne

I think I'm going mad
« on: May 06, 2014, 05:25:19 PM »

I'm 53 and had night sweats but nothing else about 3 years ago. All winter I had hot flushes. I have suffered with panic attacks for years and am on 100mg seratonin for it. Because of my dizzyness the doctor thinks it is my heart. Now I am too scared to go out in case something happens. The panic attacks and anxiety are aweful. I have valium and beta blockers to take when I can't cope anymore but I don't use the beta blockers as they make me feel more dizzy and faint. Does anyone know how long this goes on for? I have to go to the hospital on Thursday to have a 24 hour ECG and I am petrified.

Kathleen

Re: I think I'm going mad
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 06:40:53 PM »

Hello legojayne and so sorry to read that you are suffering. So much of what you say is related to the menopause that you may find HRT would help you.

I am no expert I'm afraid but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to advise you. Try not to worry about the heart monitor, easier said than done I know, but hormones affect  the heart too so you may find HRT is of even greater benefit to you.

Wishing you well and let us know how you get on.

K.

K.

cherylks

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 07:12:23 PM »

HI Legojayne, just want to say try and not worry about the 24 hr ECG.  I had one done last year cos of palpitations and sudden racing heart and dizzy spells.  Turns out my heart is absolutely fine.  I reckon its hormonal for me.  At least by having the ECG it will probably rule out anything to get concerned about. 

legojayne

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 10:10:24 AM »

Hi
Thanks for your comments. It really does help to know that I'm not on my own.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 12:31:06 PM »

You're not alone now ! you've found us - browse round, read the menus, left of screen, find our funny room  ;)

legojayne

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 11:21:18 AM »

At last a bit of good news. My 24 hour ECG shows a very occasional extra beat which according to my doctor is quite normal. I have my echo to go but although still stressed am feeling happier now those results are in. Thanks for your replies.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 04:15:57 PM »

Dizzyness, panic attacks = heart problems  :o - that's the problem, we often think that ourselves when usually it's anxiety surges.  Your GP is putting you through the various investigations so that issues can be ruled out.  You survived the ECG  ;)

Betablockas lower the heart rate which can cause light-headed feelings.  Valium can be taken on an 'as necessary' basis, I used to take it the evening before an event ………. helped me face the next day.  Now I have betablockas each evening and an emergency drug if desperate.

Eating correctly can ease anxiety surges ……..  ;)

Mad dog!

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 09:27:08 AM »

oh my goodness I am so pleased to have found this site...reading other ladies sharing their experiences of the same feelings. I have depression too and have recently changed my medication to Sertraline...day 9 today...it seems to be suiting me better than my previous Anti D, but still having times of intense teary 'waves' that I just have to ride and 'talk' through with my trusted family and friends (when I can) Has anyone else had similar, or got any advice/suggestions for self-motivation when on your own and feelings of isolation &  loneliness come over?  ;)

groundhog

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 02:52:02 PM »

Hello mad dog.  I've recently changed my ad too - now on Prozac - previously cipramil.  Can't say I feel any better yet .  I have had some real down days lately and I definately find I'm better if I'm busy and got lots on.  It is hard to motivate oneself when feeling down but I have to force myself to do something or I know I will go down the tunnel and end up far worse.  Today I have power washed the patio and mowed daughters lawn so at least I fell I have done something.
Hope you feel better soon and yes it is a great site - lots of lovely ladies around to offer words of advice or encouragement or to just listen xxx

legojayne

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 06:23:46 PM »

Hello mad dog
I have been on sertraline for years because I have an anxiety disorder. You have to give it at least a month to see any difference. I think this site is good because it does cover all the symptoms. You will find a lot of help and support here.

Mad dog!

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 03:26:02 PM »

thank you Groundhog and legojayne...as you both say , it is a fab site that offers lots of support with words/advice and encouragement. I was in Tesco today and really hoped that I wouldn't see anyone that I knew, so that I would have to speak to them....then cried all the way home because I had asked my son's mum, to bring my son home as I couldn't remember the way! I am finding it so difficult to be patient with myself, and not 'beat-myself-up' when the slightest little thing goes wrong. :'( think I should change my name to TearsRus!! Humour is good, am going to try watching a few favourite funny films & progs. Any suggestions of any that make others laugh? xx

Suzyq

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 04:40:35 PM »

I always watch Gavin and Stacey when I feel stressed - it calms me right down! Seen all episodes about 20 times now already!

I also have a download of a self-hypnosis session for anxiety - it works wonders ...

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 07:33:26 PM »

"because I had asked my son's mum, to bring my son home  ………. "  this bit lost me  ::)

You are not going mad.  Little steps …..

Suzi Q

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 03:37:12 AM »

I'm 53 and had night sweats but nothing else about 3 years ago. All winter I had hot flushes. I have suffered with panic attacks for years and am on 100mg seratonin for it. Because of my dizzyness the doctor thinks it is my heart. Now I am too scared to go out in case something happens. The panic attacks and anxiety are aweful. I have valium and beta blockers to take when I can't cope anymore but I don't use the beta blockers as they make me feel more dizzy and faint. Does anyone know how long this goes on for? I have to go to the hospital on Thursday to have a 24 hour ECG and I am petrified.

Can u cut the betas in half I was and still have Inderal 40m If I take that Im AHHHH so I snap them in half
I had whats called the dizzies for 9mnths and had white outs I walked like a drunk couldnt bend over
Had all sorts of tests Brain scans and worse and result NOTHING wrong i went to a chiro and after a few times I felt so much better re the dizzies my GP gave me 10m stemital and when It started Id take one
I think the Dizzies are a CLASSIC sign I was 37 just and now know I was pre meno over 500 pounds
When maybe all I needed was a simple BT the dizzies are still happening once or twice a year and Im 61 in 2wks
Ive not had a period for over 15 years. AS for your ECG I had one no pain and they can tell u there and then
ITS Thursday my time im in Ozz (Im from the Wirral) so Im sending a VIRTUAL HUG XXXXXXXXXX

Mad dog!

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 01:53:58 PM »

Hello girls, thank you once again for your sound advice and words of wisdom. I have felt better for two days, no tears (week 2 on Sertraline 50mg) then today a neighbour asked me if I was ok? talking about how I feel started me crying again!  I have had my sisters staying with me alternately, since I had my suicidal thoughts. I have had 2 nights on my own & felt ok, but I guess the waves will keep coming, just get less severe over time? Am nearly through 1 month of Elleste Duet 1mg, am hoping that this helps in time too? Hugs to all you lovelies that share and support.xx
Pages: [1] 2