Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Changed from Everol conti to Femseven conti due to bleeding on Everol  (Read 6618 times)

ann58

My GP has changed me from Everol Conti to Femseven conti. I hadn't had any bleeding for 2 years until I started on Everol but have had more days when I have been bleeding than not. My GP said to try the femseven to see if the bleedind stops. She is also sending me for an ultrasound scan to check if there is any other reason for the bleeding. This has now got me panicking and I am worrying that it could be something sinister. My best friend died from Ovarian cancer and that has always been a big concern for me. Has anyone else had this much breakthrough bleeding with conti HRT? (I took Everl for 4 months)

honeybun

It can take up to six months for bleeding to settle on conti and for some women it never does. You may have more luck on this HRT but if not then you could always consider a sequi and that way you would know when to expect a bleed.

Try not to worry, it's really not that unusual although a right pain in the ###

Honeyb
x

ann58

Thank you HoneyB I have also been getting a lot of tummy cramps. I guess if it doesn't stop I will have to decide which is worse, the hot flushes, night sweats and no sleep or tummy cramps, bleeding and sore breasts! I thought going on hrt would be a miracle cure :)

honeybun

Don't give up yet. There are lots of options it's just not that simple to find the one that suits.
You probably wouldn't get cramps on a sequi regime. There really is no need to go back to the unpleasant symptoms.
Hopefully your GP will help you find one that works for you.

Honeyb
x

ann58

I will keep taking the Femseven and hopefully it will settle down soon.

Taz2

Hi ann - I just wanted to say that I have always had bleeding on conti HRTs and in the end swapped back to sequi just so I knew when the bleed would be. It's best to give it six months which is what I did but after that I gave up as I was so fed up with on-off bleeding all the time.

So sorry to learn of your friend's death.

Taz x

ann58

Thank you for your reply Taz, I will give it another few months to see if the bleeding stops but it is so inconvenient when the days of bleeding are so often and not knowing when it will happen; especially after 2 years of no bleeding.

carrs

Hi Ann
I have also had bleeding every two weeks on evorel conti, after several years of no bleeds.  I assumed it was because I sometimes forgot to change the patches on time, but even when I remembered, the bleeding continued as before. I assumed it was hormonal, but, like you, I got very nervous about going for the tests to exclude cancer, even though I knew it was unlikely. The tests were all OK in the end, but I don't know what to do next. I have stopped all HRT for now, but don't feel good.
It will be interesting to see how you get on with the new treatment.

Hurdity

Personally I think it is a pity for doctors to start post-menopausal women on conti HRT for the very reason you are experiencing ann58 - that many women do get bleeding which is offputting - especially as you say when it is unpredictable. I definitely couldn't cope with that if it went on for too long!

If it was more widely accepted (that bleeding occurs) then why not start all women on sequi HRT when the bleeding is predictable as Taz says, and then at least one can get used to bleeding again before trying out the conti?

Starting on sequi HRT has the added advantage of enabling us to sort out if that particular progestogen suits us.

Such a shame that these experiences mean that some give up HRT and all its benefits because of these difficulties. I do hope it turns out OK for you in the end ann58.

Hurdity x

ann58

Carrie it is only my second day of Femseven and still bleeding, I will let you know if it ever stops!
Thank you Hurdity, I must admit that the bleeding is increasing my anxiety :(

ann58

My anxiety is really high this morning, can't stop crying :( I don't know if the antibiotics I am taking for my sinus infection are making it worse.

ann58

I have gone back to the Everol as the bleeding got even worse and I started with night sweats and very little sleep again. Also I couldn't get the Femseven to stick and ended up having to put sticky plasters over it. I am now going into my 4th week of nonstop bleeding and I have been taking hrt for over 4 months. Really don't know what to do for the best now.

Taz2

I sympathise with you ann. I tried conti for six months but had constant bleeding - non-stop - so at the end of six months I swapped back to sequi and had a predictable bleed every month which lasted three days at most. It was far easier.

Taz x

ann58

I think I may need to go back to the doctors, don't know what to do next :(

carrs

It's a shame the Femseven patches didn't stick - the drug absorption would have been reduced, so it would be hard to know if they would have been suitable.
Pages: [1] 2