Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Menopause clinic  (Read 2619 times)

Bracken willowshimmer

Menopause clinic
« on: May 04, 2014, 07:58:10 PM »

Can anyone tell me what to expect at a menopause clinic?  I have an appointment in the next couple of weeks and am unsure what to expect? X

Dancinggirl

Re: Menopause clinic
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 09:14:56 PM »

You are really lucky to have a meno clinic near you.  Hopefully they will do a good assessment of you and your symptoms, hopefully examine you and discuss your options.
You have a better chance of them having a reasonable knowledge about the various HRTs but I would still read up everything under the headings to the left of this screen - particularly the different types of HRT under the heading 'HRT Preparations'.  If need be print off anything you may want to discuss.  I'd also write up some questions as it's easy to forget things when you are seeing a doctor.
Good luck.  Keep us posted. DG x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 08:51:11 AM »

My experience of the first appointment is weight and blood pressure check and a detailed history of any meno symptoms you have experienced so far. It took around thirty minutes. Follow up appointments were around twenty minutes. Blood pressure and weight weren't checked again. I was given an appointment every four months which worked for me but there was also email access should I have any problems between my appointments.

Taz x

Bracken willowshimmer

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 08:35:43 AM »

Thanks for the reply Taz2.  Can I ask what sort of advice did they give you at the clinic?

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 03:47:54 PM »

They advised on the type of HRT which they felt would suit me - a change from the one the GP had put me on - and then wrote to my GP asking her to change the prescription. They were the first ones to say that I should stop HRT at 60 and at the age of 58 asked me to halve my HRT - I tried this but it didn't work very well as my symptoms returned. My GP at the time was keen for her women to stay on HRT if they wanted to so I swapped my care back to her. I can still email the clinic if I need any particular advice though. That GP has now left and my new one is not keen for her patients to be on HRT after 60 so I'm now a bit stuck!  :)

Taz x

oldsheep

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 09:58:58 AM »

Meno clinics seem to depend on the consultant in charge and the budget of the area. Mine is good, luckily. The other one in my area not so good.
They weigh you, do urinalysis and try to stabilise you on an HRT. Might do blood tests too. They used to see me every 6 months, now it's a year unless I have problems, in which case I ring up. The waiting list for an appointment can be 3 months though.
You should have a nurse in charge. Hopefully someone nice that you can get on well with, as they are the ones that bounce you into urgent appointments if you need them.