Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Keep crying - odd and horrible symptom?  (Read 2932 times)

Debbie D

Keep crying - odd and horrible symptom?
« on: May 02, 2014, 05:46:53 PM »

Goodness me, I thought the physical stuff was bad enough - but I appear to be turning into a quivering wreck!

I am usually a very even-keel type of person, not given to crying or feeling depressed or low for no reason.   I am assuming this is part of being menopausal?  If not I am really in trouble!

I seem to feel low and drained a lot, and the stupidest things make me well up or cry - things in books or TV, and things that are not necessarily that upsetting in general terms. 

Does anyone else experience this, and if so - how do you deal with it? 

Joyce

Re: Keep crying - odd and horrible symptom?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 06:05:47 PM »

It's definitely not unusual. I've had blubbing sessions from time to time over the slightest thing.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 06:59:26 PM »

That was one of my symptoms although I didn't know it at the time. Just like cubagirl - I would really burst into tears very very easily, sometimes even thinking about something I was worried about while driving in the car!

How did I deal with it - I just let it happen! Well I can remember two very embarrassing blubbing fits at work - I was going through threat of redundancy due to restructuring at work, so one time I was with my supervisor and she didn't know what to do with me, and another was subsequently with an HR person while I was having a review about a new job - and we had to leave the workplace and go for a coffee so I could blub without anyone seeing!  I didn't actually know at the time it was due to the peri-menopause but now I know that it was, as periods became irregular soon after. I rarely cry now (fortunately there hasn't been anything happening in my life just at the moment that would affect me).

So my advice is to go with it - your hormones are fluctuating - and hopefully it won't happen anywhere too embarrassing!

Hurdity x

mandy43

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 07:03:25 PM »

I never stop crying!  I go between rages, laughing, crying, saying nothing etc...  I don't know where the hell I'm at.  I truly feel for you, it's a horrible stage.  My sister sailed through it, whereas I am really suffering.

Debbie D

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 10:27:06 PM »

I never stop crying!  I go between rages, laughing, crying, saying nothing etc...  I don't know where the hell I'm at.  I truly feel for you, it's a horrible stage.  My sister sailed through it, whereas I am really suffering.
#

Now you say that, I get very angry too - again unlike me, I am really hating this, I was reading a review earlier for Street Cat bob and could not even get to the end of it - unbelievable!!

ooh Hurdity I feel your pain - I hope you sorted your career out in the end!!

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 09:36:44 AM »

Hello Debbie D.
I know exactly how you feel as I am struggling with the same problems. I have a book on the menopause written by Dr Miriam Stoppard and she writes about how this time in our lives can feel like an emotional roller coaster and that has certainly been my experience.

You mention that you were always an even-keel type of person and I always thought of myself in a similar way, more reasoning than emotional if you see what I mean. I wonder if the contrast between how we used to feel and what is happening to us now is adding to our distress. If extreme emotions are unfamiliar to us then we are less practised at dealing with them and that is scary.  We just don't feel like 'us' anymore? What do you think? Maybe other ladies can shed some light on the subject.

Be assured that you are not alone and the emotional side of the menopause is every bit a testing as the physical aspects. Wishing you well.
Take care.

K>