Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: vaginal oestrogen  (Read 3128 times)

ceridwen

vaginal oestrogen
« on: May 01, 2014, 07:02:05 AM »

I hope I'm in the right place. I have 2 questions. Over on the new members forum I learned about estring. I was wondering if anyone knew what the daily delivery of oestrogen in estring is, as at present I use vagifem daily, without which symptoms return very quickly. I also wondered if anyone has inserted vagifem digitally, I ask because sometimes the very narrow and hard applicator can feel 'piercing'

Thanks

ancient runner

Re: vaginal oestrogen
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 08:45:53 AM »

Hello Ceridwen
I am using the estring and think it's brilliant. I'd been through the creams of varying strengths and they didn't help much, and using vagifem twice a week meant I had the odd good day and lots of bad ones. Been using the estring since just before Christmas, after about ten months of misery and it's been so much better -- been feeling normal for the past three weeks and was mostly pretty good before that. You get I think about 7.5 microgrammes of oestrogen each day which equates roughly to the old Vagifem dose. It's brilliant not to have the ups and downs, or worry about when to insert a cream or tablet, or be worried about forgetting to pack enough of them when working away. You can't feel it, though I did spend the first day wondering if I could.
On your other question -- I don't see why you should't use a finger to put the vagifem in. Poor you if your VA is so bad that the applicator feels so awful.
I'm working away for a few days and won't be back to the forum for a bit after this morning but hope this helps.

ellie66

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 10:48:34 AM »

Hi I am current using the Gynest Cream which I find is fine as I can use every day if necessary. Vagifem I have reservations about as they cut the manufacturers dosage in half. Ancient runner- yes that what I was afraid of good, days and bad days. You have just confirmed my thoughts.

Gynest cream stings for the first couple of days but after that it is lovely and the maintenance dose seems to be at doctor/patient discretion.

I am however also on full HRT  Oestrogel/Utrageston too which also helps.

Inserting Vagifem rectally will not help as it works directly on the vaginal tissues. 

ceridwen

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 01:29:05 PM »

Thank you both for your help. I now have food for thought.

Ta