Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Age 47, now in fifth year of unpredictable periods  (Read 9423 times)

Shaz67

Age 47, now in fifth year of unpredictable periods
« on: April 28, 2014, 11:13:56 AM »

Started experiencing changes age 42 (had one major flooding event, very scary and periods were lasting longer than normal week).  I am now 47 and have had 5 years of switching between regular and irregular cycles, but periods always fairly heavy, but manageable with tranexamic acid.  Have had 2 ultrasound scan investigations, most recent one a year ago (internal and external) which showed no problems, second one showed a small fibroid had disappeared.  End of last year had one period which was just a few days of spotting, then next period came two weeks later.  Had no period in January but suffered bad hot flushes all through January.  Feb and March cycle reverted back to normal.  April, light period (didn't need to take tranexamic acid), spotted for a week after, had a week clear, then just started period today after a couple of days of spotting (so that was about a 20 day cycle but with only 7 days completely free of bleeding).  Just finding it all quite stressful, the unpredictability.  GP has suggested mirena coil which I do not want, also prescribed cerazette which I decided not to take as read so much about it causing irregular bleeding!  Have been through the painful breasts stage a couple of years ago, but this now seems to have finished.  Want to get through all this as naturally as possible and just wondered if any of you are familiar with what I've been going through and how you've been coping.  Just hoping I am getting near the stage when the periods become further apart, instead of closer together!    :-\

Dancinggirl

Re: Age 47, now in fifth year of unpredictable periods
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 03:31:52 PM »

Hi and welcome Shaz67
It sounds as though you are going through a long and troublesome peri stage and after 5 years of this stage your hormones will probably be fluctuating and dropping quite a bit.  You are still rather young to be going through meno and if your oestrogen levels do drop to a point your periods stop and you go into post meno then HRT would be advicable to protect your heart and bones. Apparently 5 years of HRT can really reduce the chances of osteoporosis.

What is a natural menopause? Well there is no answer to this as we are all different but there are a great many myths and from many a sense that we should "put up and shut up" because "we all go through it!!" Well we ladies on this site know differently. It is NOT natural to be without oestrogen before the age of about 50 and the medical profession is really starting to wake up to the problems oestrogen deficiency brings - particularly in the long term.
It's a matter of quality of life.  There is no way of knowing how long the menopause symptoms will last because it is often not until the periods stop that the full force of oestrogen deficiency kicks in.  You only have to read through some of the threads on this site to learn of some of the many problems the meno brings.  This is not to say every women will suffer - there are about 25% of women who get to their early 50s and their periods stop and they barely notice a difference. For the rest of us it will be between 6 months to 20 years or more before our bodies adjust to the lack of oestrogen and the emotional and physical effects can be quite great. 
Many women find their periods are all over the  place for ages - I'm afraid they don't just get further part and then stop.  Some ladies will go months without and then get 3 in a row while others will have spotting and bleeds for weeks at a time.  You see, our bodies haven't read the rule book and we are all different.
You sound frightened of HRT which is understandable as there have been sooo many scare stories.  The best way to tackle your problems is to get clued up and this site is here to help.
It sounds as though your GP is prepared to help which is great.  Whilst blood tests are notoriously unreliable I would suggest you get your FSA and oestrogen levels checked as this may show up where you are in your meno stage.  If the FSA is high then your are certainly in peri meno and some low dose HRT would probably help.
Do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen and get back to us with questions. I think you've been reading too many scares and not enough of the positives.
The Mirena could be an option as it would settle the bleeding down(in fact your would eventually not get any bleeding with the Mirena and many women love this) and if you are getting flushes etc. you could use some Oestrogel alongside to reduce these symptoms.  If you are not keen on this option then a low dose of something like Femoston sequi would be a good start.  It's worth trying - you can always stop but, chances are, you could get your life back and feel great.
I think you have got to decide whether you want to persevere and hope things settle down by the time you are 52 or try some hormones to see if they help? DG x

mandy43

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 08:38:54 PM »

Shaz67 and any other ladies who can help.  I'm going through this irregular periods now but my main problem is my sore breasts.  Well, it switches from left boob to right.  My right boob has always been more active to hormone ups and downs as this was the breast that I fed all my babies from the most so it is bigger.  Now since being in the change certain times of the month the nipple is really sore and then other times of the month it is the side of my boob.  I just feel like i am sore for the majority of the month and it is really making me depressed.  My periods are all over the place and as much as i am trying to track when the boobs are sore, it's impossible now as I never know where a period starts and end as they are short, long, heavy, light, it's a nightmare.  My last bloodtest said my estrogen level was low, yet everything I read says sore boobs are due to high levels of estrogen... please help if you have been through this.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 09:13:59 PM »

mandy43 - do read my last post to Shaz67.  The peri stage is very unpredictable.  When I was peri meno I kept thinking I might be pregnant because my boobs hurt. I don't know why they hurt so much through the peri stage before I went on HRT - maybe the body has to work extra hard  - who knows!!! 
If your oestrogen level was low then the FSH must have been high.  Are you considering HRT?
DG x

Shaz67

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 06:17:08 PM »

Mandy 43 - re: sore breasts.  This seems to have been a particular phase of peri which I went through 2-3 years ago.  Both breasts were sore each month and felt heavy and swollen each cycle from mid cycle until next period started.   My cycle was more regular(ish) while this was happening.   This phase seemed to end, but then the very irregular cycles started which seemed like the "next phase".  Some months periods would turn to spotting, which would carry on for anything up to 10 days after my period.  When this happened my next period always seemed to be delayed which didn't seem so bad as I was still getting about 3 weeks break from any bleeding.  Now, however, periods are coming closer together. 

mandy43

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 06:28:15 PM »

thanks ladies.  My sore boobs are tied in with very irregular periods at the moment.  I used to only get it before a period was due, then i started getting it when I ovulated as well.  Now they are paining and swollen as my period is tailing off... weird, I'm all over the place.  This period is upto day 12 now.  Was heavy for 5-7 days and now just there when you wipe.  I've started evening primrose oil in the hope it will help with my sore boobs.  does anyone know if its safe to take more than one a day, as I read on a forum where a lady was recommended to take 3 1000ug tablets per day rather than just one, to make a real difference to the breast pain.  Dancing girl, I am 43 and not on anything at the moment, as I'm really scared of HRT.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 09:41:30 PM »

mandy43
Please don't be scared - once you get clued up about the meno and HRT you will hopefully feel more positive about things. There is some great info on this site and I recommend you soak it all up.
I'm afraid the scare stories in the press often result in women suffering nasty menopause symptoms for many years unnecessarily.
If you are experiencing peri meno symptoms now at 43, you are going through an early menopause and it may be essential you use HRT to protect your heart and bones. The natural age fro menopause is 52!! Oestrogen deficiency can bring long term harm and unless you have health reasons for not taking HRT your doctor should advice you to try it.
Can I suggest you see your GP to discuss your symptoms.  You have said your oestrogen level was low so you could try something low dose like Femoston Sequi 1mg (don't let the GP give you the cheaper HRT like Premique) and see how you get on - you might be surprised how good you feel.
Do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen.  Share your fears with us - ask questions - we're here to help.
Keep posting. DG x

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 08:54:25 PM »

My peri menopause has been going on for at least 5 years now, probably more like 6-7. I am now 51. First my periods became much lighter and then less frequent. I went 7 months without one until Feb 2014 and then had one again but extremely light. Nothing since then. I now get hot flushes much more frequently though not enough to come out in a sweat all over. I haven't tried any HRT and I'm still not sure whether to. I have the feeling that my GP practice doesn't support them. Am thinking of keeping a diary of symptoms first. Apart from flushes, my worst ones are aching feet/calves and sometimes nausea in the morning which wears off during the day. I am tempted to change GP but none of my local ones have good reviews.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 09:32:28 PM »

Hi katejo
It sounds to me as though you want to give HRT a try but you are frightened to ask your GP which is understandable. Unfortunately too many GPs are still anti HRT because of the scares back in 2002 which have now been largely discredited.
Make a list of your symptoms, tell the doctor they are really impacting on your quality of life and that you are aware there are some(though very small) risks with HRT but you would like to try HRT to see if it helps. If the doctor says no, ask for a referral to a gynae or meno clinic.  You may find that because you have gone in with a positive attitude the GP may be more open. Is there a women doctor at your practise- women doctors can be more empathetic. If they do prescribe HRT don't let them fob you off with the cheap Premique HRT ask for Femoston 1/10 to start with as the progesterone is better tolerated by many women.
Another thought: you mention aching feet and calves, do you have a job where you stand a lot?
Exercises can help with this. Stretching out your calves regularly and wearing the right shoes can really help with this.
BE brave. REad up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen and print off the stuff that you could show the doctor if necessary.  DG x