Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: new too the site looking for advice  (Read 3869 times)

jazzfunkanne

new too the site looking for advice
« on: April 28, 2014, 10:50:39 AM »

Hi all, hope every one is well, i had a early menopause at 43 my gps never discussed hrt with me, i am now 50 and my bone scan said my bones have 20% less density for someone  my age, i am now getting urine infections, is it too late to take hrt, plus can i take hrt and have a oestrogen cream or pessaries at the same time x anne

Sarah2

Re: new too the site looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 11:09:58 AM »

Hi Anne

It's not too late and it's good news that you have at least had a bone scan and know what's what - so many women are in the dark with this and don't know until they are in their 60s then break a bone.

You could still have HRT because you are not even yet at the average age of the menopause which is 51-52.

Yes you can also use vaginal HRT at the same time.

I hope you get sorted and you should have another scan in 2 years to see how your bones are.
At the same time you should make lifestyle changes to help- the right diet and especially exercise. The National Osteoporosis Society has information online or you can order info from them- worth looking into.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 11:57:33 AM »

many thanks sarah, the hosp. said my next scan would be 5 years x

Sarah2

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 12:29:52 PM »

I've never heard of it being 5 years. The recommended time is 2-3 years. My close friend has hers every 2 years on the NHS and I have mine every 2-3 years but pay for them.
I'd really ask about having it before 5 years so you can see what is going on.

There is some info here and it suggests 2-5 years.

http://www.nos.org.uk/NetCommunity/Document.doc?id=388

It depends on your diagnosis- have you now got osteoporosis and what was your T score? Did they give you your results?
If you have osteoporosis now then I'd say more regular  monitoring is better.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:36:24 PM by Sarah2 »

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 12:34:12 PM »

I will ask at my next apt sarah, can i take Oestrogen & Progesterone that does not make me bleed?

Sarah2

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 12:36:49 PM »

Yes- there is lots of info on the Green part of the menu here on the left.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 03:38:06 PM »

Hi jazzfunkanne

Just to add that this type is called "continuous combined HRT" for post-menopausal women - ie the no-bleed type.

Some women find that after a long time without oestrogen, there is some irregular bleeding at first on this type which can continue for up to 6 months or so.

You may prefer to start off by going onto to cyclical or sequential HRT which is designed to give a regular predictable bleed every 4 weeks - which you might find easier to cope with after so long being post-menopausal (ie rather than random bleeds). This also has the advantage of allowing you to distinguish between the side effects (if any) of the oestrogen and progestogen, before settling onto the type you will eventually stay with for some time.

As Sarah2 says - the info is on the menu - cyclical types here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

and continuous combined types here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php

Good luck!

Hurdity x