Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: On reaching the menopause  (Read 6056 times)

Dalhousie

On reaching the menopause
« on: April 27, 2014, 12:08:01 PM »

At my old GP's practice I was told that you've reached the menopause when you've not had a period for a year.  When you reach the menopause does this signify anything in terms of symptoms.  Might your symptoms gradually decrease or ease a little.

In July I won't have had a period for a year & hoping things might start to settle a little or calm down.

Thanks.

Dancinggirl

Re: On reaching the menopause
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 01:22:14 PM »

Hi and Welcome Dalhousie
If you are over 52 and have gone a year without a period you are well into post menopause.  When younger you need to be 2 years without a period to be deemed post meno - I think this is right hopefully others will be along to confirm or correct this.
Meno symptoms can continue for months or years through peri and post menopause  - everyone is different.
Do tell us a little more about yourself (age etc.)and the symptoms you are having. I assume you are not using HRT - is there a reason why not?
If you have been to told to "ride the storm" and "do the natural thing" then you are in the right place for help and advice as most of the ladies on this site get very angry about women not being given access to HRT - I'm afraid the only natural way to help meno symptoms is to use hormones (HRT).
Do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen and get back to us with questions.  DG x

dulciana

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 02:06:21 PM »

My last period was three and a half years ago and while the meno onset was a bit of a bumpy ride, my symptoms have gone through different phases since then.  I've also found that they can simmer down and then return, depending on the season, my sleeping patterns, what's been happening in my life and how I'm feeling, generally.  But I have learned how to cope with them, what works, what doesn't, what to avoid etc. and things have got more bearable.  I hope this is of some help, Dalhousie.  As Dancingirl says, we're all different.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 02:25:34 PM »

Once you have had a year without a period then you are considered to be post-menopause. The year is an important milestone. Lots of us have gone to almost the year only for them to start up again - sigh - so fingers crossed that you get to July period-less!

As has been said - everyone is different. Some say that symptoms worsen for the first two years after your last period and then gradually disappear.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Rowan

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 03:42:20 PM »

Agree with what has been said, but not sure about "the only natural way to help meno symptoms is to use hormones (HRT" 

Just as many women choose or maybe have (medical reasons) to go through menopause and not use HRT.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/eat-beat-menopause

Diet, supplements, herbs, exercise, lifestyle, all can help.

Symptoms to tend calm down as you get further away from your final period once the body has adjusted to a lower level of hormones.

I agree it is every woman's right to take prescribed hormones if she wants to and if there is no reason why she can't, but equally  there is nothing wrong in going through menopause without them.

Sarah2

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 03:56:01 PM »

It's best to think of the menopause as a series of stages- peri and post. During the peri stage you can have lots of symptoms and for some women these reduce or disappear within a few years of their last period. But for some, they don't.  My Mum is one who had hot flushes right up to her early 80s and a lot of her friends who didn't have access to HRT in the past would complain of symptoms that we know now are classic 'oestrogen deficiency' - lack of sleep, poor sleep, tiredness, 'nerves', and more serious issues like osteoporosis later on.

Good diets can help but for some of us even that isn't enough. I started on HRT because I was doing everything I could with food, exercise, lifestyle, and still had hot flushes on the hour all day and poor sleep.

How bad are your symptoms?

Dalhousie

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 08:03:49 PM »

Silverlady - thanks for the link that is interesting & straightforward advice. 

I am nearly 50 years old.  I started with menopause symptoms last April 2013 a couple of months before my 49th birthday.  My last period was July 2013.  I get bad PMT type symptoms several days a month with bloating, tension & crying on & off all day - in part that's aggravated by spine problems which give me no quality of life but I've been referred for a spinal cord stimulator for that.

My GP says it's the Progesterone that's giving me the PMT stuff etc.  I find this website below which explains things quite well but I don't know how legit it is. 

http://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com/articles/how-do-hormone-levels-change-post-menopause.htm

I've had a lot of extra joint & muscle pain in my spine which I have a shed load anyway which is the problem with my spine.  I did try some HRT tablets (Climagest) & then patches after that but they both gave me diarrhoea - I have IBS.  Last time I saw my GP she said to possibly revisit HRT in July a year after my period so that I don't have to go on one that gives you a period.  I'm not sure how much they would help my back with the joint/muscle pain & I'm on a lot of medication anyway painkillers etc.  HRT is another medication & not sure whether I should take more meds & potential risks.  I'm on the fence with HRT - not sure about it.

I cope with the hot flushes just about.  I take Red clover complex which helps to varying degrees.

Agree with what has been said, but not sure about "the only natural way to help meno symptoms is to use hormones (HRT" 

Just as many women choose or maybe have (medical reasons) to go through menopause and not use HRT.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/eat-beat-menopause

Diet, supplements, herbs, exercise, lifestyle, all can help.

Symptoms to tend calm down as you get further away from your final period once the body has adjusted to a lower level of hormones.

I agree it is every woman's right to take prescribed hormones if she wants to and if there is no reason why she can't, but equally  there is nothing wrong in going through menopause without them.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 07:41:04 PM »

Hi Dalhousie

I had a look at that site and it does have a lot of useful information. However I think it is sponsored by the manufacturers of one of the alternative herbal products sold for menopause as there are several links to it, and it is a US site which warns of the dangers of HRT - and this is outdated (ie the original big study which has since been reviewed and the results modified).

It refers to HRT as drug treatment and you mention that it is another medication - well the good news is that it isn't! That is - provided you replace the hormones with the same molecules as in your body - ie that are bio-identical. As you may have read on here, there are many of us promoting this form of HRT, which is just replacing your body with the deficient hormone - oestrogen - together with "natural" progesterone, to protect the uterus. So - it isn't the same as the medication you are taking - it's more like replacing insulin if you were diabetic, for example.

If you have IBS then patches are preferred as tablets can exacerbate digestive upsets.

Also great advice from silverlady re diet, exercise, lifestyle etc

For me, I prefer to do both - I am keen do do everything as naturally as possible - to give my body (and mind) the best possible chance.

So I have a good diet, take exercise, keep my weight down, limit alcohol, don't smoke, try to limit stress and worry ( not very good at this one!), and replace my missing hormones with oestrogen and progesterone. So far I feel fine - and it does get better in some ways when you are post-menopausal - because at least your hormone levels are then stable so whatever you take, you don't get the surges that cause the depression, and pms!

Just to add also re your docs advice about no period HRT. In a way, if you are going to go back onto HRT, it's better to try the bleed type to start with - because then you can see if the progestgoen part agrees with you - otherwise if it doesn't you may find you feel rough but not sure which part of the HRT is causing it. You might be one of the lucky ones though - just today someone on here posted she had used some of the conti patches (Evorel) for years and felt fine all the time, even though others had side effects from them!!

I hope this is helpful Dalhousie in deciding what to do.

Hurdity x