Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Taking HRT at the same time as Levothyroxine  (Read 12946 times)

coolatlast

Taking HRT at the same time as Levothyroxine
« on: May 07, 2014, 04:30:33 PM »

Hi Peeps!  :)
I've been taking Celeste Duet 1mg for just over a week and was starting to feel a bit strange  :o a bit hyper and anxious.   
Anyway, I did wonder if the HRT was affecting my Thyroid medication - which I've been taking for a year- for underactive thyroid. 
As an experiment, I didn't take the thyroid meds today (I only took HRT) and felt HEAPS better!  - Full of energy and fairly calm.

Anybody else had HRT react badly with thyroid meds?   (or am I imagining it?) ???
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 04:34:41 PM by coolatlast »

Hurdity

Re: Taking HRT at the same time as Levothyroxine
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 04:56:23 PM »

Hi coolatlast

I read a paper about this recently but don't seem to have a link but made some notes:

Oral oestrogen /HRT raises circulating levels of thyroxine binding globulin, therefore increasing the bound fraction and decreasing the free (bioactive) fraction of circulating thyroxin (T4). The conclusion was that oral oestrogen/HRT may increase the T4 dosage requirements of women being treated for primary hypothyroidism.

The same paper noted this effect did not occur with transdermal oestrogen so this may be a preferable route for women on HRT/thyroid treatment.

This appears to be the opposite effect to what you are experiencing ie feeling better without the thyroxine when this paper suggested that the opposite might be the case - you would need an increased dose to get the same effect as before HRT.

However some side effects from starting to take oestrogen are to be expected and perhaps more so with oral HRT that has to go through the digestive system so personally I would keep up wuith the thyroid medication until your body has acclimatised. I have read of others getting slightly hyper feelings initially when starting oestrogen, or after sudden increase in dose.

Hurdity x

coolatlast

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 05:09:21 PM »

Thanks Hurdity!

I did wonder whether it might just be a case of my body getting used to having oestrogen circulating around it, after being so low in it, for so long  - and it may not be the thyroid meds causing any problems.

I didn't want to give up on HRT at the first hurdle, as, besides the slightly hyper feeling, I AM starting to see some benefits already!

My nails seem to be growing quickly, for the first time in years and I feel more optimistic and enthusiastic about things already - and that's just after ONE WEEK :).

It's only now that I'm feeling these things, that I realize that what I felt before probably wasn't normal!

I suppose enthusiasm and optimism possibly come with a touch of anxiety?  - maybe its that slightly edgy feeling that is giving us the boost of 'energy' - only we are not used to this excess energy - so mistake it for anxiety - maybe?   
Just throwing speculations around here  ???

Anyway, I will keep taking the thyroid tablets, but I'm going to take them at a different time of day to the HRT.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 05:12:19 PM by coolatlast »

Mini2005

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 06:48:34 PM »

I have been on thyroxine for years and was taking HRT tablets for 12 months without any problems.  I did take my thyroxine in the morning and my HRT at teatime, just in case of any interaction.   

I changed from tablets to patches in January and now feel even better.  Don't worry about the thyroxine too much, it hasn't had any effect of my dosage at all.

coolatlast

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 08:08:05 PM »

I have been on thyroxine for years and was taking HRT tablets for 12 months without any problems.  I did take my thyroxine in the morning and my HRT at teatime, just in case of any interaction.   

I changed from tablets to patches in January and now feel even better.  Don't worry about the thyroxine too much, it hasn't had any effect of my dosage at all.
I've heard quite a few people rave about the patches - I might ask about those at my 3 monthly check (if I don't get on with the tabs).