Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Which is best patch or gell?  (Read 6733 times)

Spangles

Which is best patch or gell?
« on: April 18, 2014, 09:32:54 AM »

Hi ladies
I'd just like some information really, I currently use 50mg evorel and Utrogestan and was wondering about oestrogel. Can any of you tell me about it please and what you think the advantages and disadvantages of each are?
Many thanks
Shellb
xXx

Suzyq

Re: Which is best patch or gell?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 12:11:23 PM »

Hi shelb
I think for every woman it's different. I started with gel but switched to patches. I found the gel a bit inconsistent for me - it kept running out in the day so I was having to reapply twice a day. I also found it a little bit of a pain when I wanted to swim. My estrogen levels were pretty low when I was on the gel. I find the patches easy (change twice weekly) and much more constant - for me! But I know lots of other ladies love the gel!!

juliekim

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 12:52:17 PM »

Hi Shellb,

I am taking Oestrogel and Utrogestan (replied on another post to you about today!) and I am very happy on Oestrogel.  It took a little while to kick in fully.  I started slowly on 1 pump for a few weeks, then 1 1/2 for another, going up to 2 pumps.  I use it in the mornings on my legs as I prefer to keep it as far away from my breasts as possible, although the instructions state you can put it on your arms too. I leave it for 5 mins before getting dressed so it is fully absorbed (it dries very quickly).  I like the fact you can use the right amount for you and I find it easy to use as I have made it part of my morning routine (my Oestrogel sits next to my toothbrush and toothpaste, so I don't forget to use it!). For me, it doesn't really have any disadvantages as I am happy to use what I feel is the best delivery system for the body.  I know others here prefer the patches as they don't have to think about putting on the gel every day. It is horses for courses and I hope my experience with it helps you decide what is right for you!

Julie xx

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 03:44:02 PM »

I love my gel, have been on it for many years (premature meno) I use one and a bit pumps at night, I alternate between each leg, it has really worked exceptionally well for me, not a single side effect of meno whatsoever....better touch wood :)

ellie66

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 03:54:03 PM »

I absolutely love my gel too. I split my doses-3 squirts in the morning and 1 at night. It dries very quickly and is fantastic. I use Utrageston from days 15 to 26 too. Its just fab. I love that you can tweak it  :)

PollyH

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 06:37:36 PM »

Hi all

I wad just wondering if anybody knows what the difference is between estradiol and estradiol hemihydrate (my patches have the latter estradot 50mcg). Also is oestrogel just estradiol. Is Thera any difference between the patches or are they all the same.

PollyH
Xxxx

Blue Poppy

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 03:58:35 PM »

Hi,
I just started on oestrogel a couple of weeks ago and like it so far as I can regulate the dose. I suffer from migraines so was worried they would get worse on the gel. I have been getting a few more headaches but hoping I will get the dose right. It is certainly helping with my other symptoms, but still getting a bit of anxiety and panic attacks at times,.
Take care,
Blue Poppy x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 04:17:21 PM »

Hi shellb
I have never considered using the gel as I use Estradot patches - and I have never had any problems with consistency of dose so happy to continue with these. Estradot are very much smaller than all the others, if you are finding Evorel a bit of a hassle.

PollyH - as far as I know there is no difference between estradiol and estradiol hemihydrate in how it is taken up by the body. Some of the products that say estradiol might even be estradiol hemihydrate. The hemihydrate just contains an extra water molecule from what I've read.The one that is slightly different is estradiol valerate which is converted to estradiol and valeric acid in the body.  The full name for estradiol is 17-Beta estradiol which you will see referred to in the literature.

To all intents and purposes all the oestrogen only patches are the same - in that they deliver a given dosage of estradiol but because of the differences in size and presmuably adhesive the hormone may well be taken up slightly differently in different women?

Hurdity x

Sarah2

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 12:04:06 PM »

Hi shellb
I've used gel for 5.5 years and it's all I've ever used.
I love it and like the way I can try reducing the dose to see how I get on. I managed to get it down to under 1mg for a few weeks but then the symptoms kicked back in for me ( mainly poor sleep pattern) so I've now gone back to the 'normal' dose of 1.5mgs.

I find application very easy and do it at the same time every day- 8am then between 10-11pm- do it after cleaning my teeth and it dries while my deodorant dries etc. I split the dose morning/evening which means there is not so much to dry anyway, and it means the levels stay more constant in the blood stream.

You can't shower or get your arms/legs wet for 1 hr after applying but that has never been an issue.

But- personal choice. I don't like anything sticking to my skin - I can't bear sticking plasters unless they are essential, so have never fancied a patch which to me is a very 'visible' sign of being on HRT! But everyone has different views.

lancashirelass

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 05:48:31 PM »

i tried both gels and didn't absorb them well.  im now on estradot patch and feeling so much better.  its only small too.