Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Herbal Section??  (Read 2611 times)

Dalhousie

Herbal Section??
« on: April 14, 2014, 05:36:32 PM »

I went to see my GP the other day & asked her about alternatives to Red Clover as I've been taking it for about 9 months & it's not been quite as effective lately.  She mentioned this website & said look at the herbal section.  I've been a member here for a while but couldn't see one that sprang out at me.  I did a search & herbal stuff was mixed in with different threads/posts.  Is there a dedicated herbal section here?

honeybun

Re: Herbal Section??
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 06:11:12 PM »

If you look at the green menu on the left its under Alternative Therapies.

Honeyb
c

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 06:15:14 PM »

Nope. Look under Alternative Therapies.  Taking things like Red Clover will only help a little for those who have very mild meno symptoms.  I tried all sorts of herbal remedies - spent an absolute fortune - with no real benefit.  If your meno symptoms are getting bad then HRT is the only true natural way to relieve the symptoms. Some find acupuncture really helpful - that could be worth a try.  Good luck  DG x

Sarah2

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 06:31:27 PM »

Black cohosh has had some success ( possibly) and so has sage ( for flushes) but you need to be careful as black cohosh can have side effects just like conventional meds. More info on this on the green menu.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:34:26 PM by Sarah2 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 08:44:58 PM »

:welcomemm:

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 02:30:29 PM »

Anyone interested in Herbs for women

I can highly recommend Herbal Healing for Women by Rosemary Gladstar, my much loved copy is tatty now but would not part with it.

You can get on amazon for pennies.

It really is the best book of its kind with information for women at every stage of life.

"Simple, Safe, and Effective Herbal Remedies for Women
 For centuries women have turned to herbs to cope with a wide variety of health problems and conditions. Comprehensive and easy-to-use, Herbal Healing for Women explains how to create remedies -- including teas, tinctures, salves, and ointments -- for the common disorders that arise in the different cycles of a woman's life. Covering adolescence, childbearing years, pregnancy and childbirth, and menopause, Rosemary Gladstar teaches how herbs can be used to treat the symptoms of conditions such as acne, PMS, morning sickness, and hot flashes. A complete women's health-care manual, Herbal Healing for Women discusses:
 * common disorders and the herbs that are effective for treating them;
 * how to select and store herbs;
 * preparation of hundreds of herbal remedies;
 * an alphabetical listing of herbs, including a brief description of the herb, the general medicinal usage, and when necessary, warnings about potential side effects.
 By explaining the properties of specific herbs and the art of preparation, Rosemary Gladstar demonstrates not only how to achieve healing through herbs but good health as well"

suzicals

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 07:37:12 AM »

Sage tablets are good for hot flushes and other menopausal symptoms, I looked into it but I thought they were quite expensive, but I am sure that somewhere they must be able to be bought cheeper.

Rowan

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 08:51:20 AM »

Have you tried Sage tea? you can get it in supermarkets or Holland & Barrett very cheaply.

I would advise mixing it with a fruit tea as it is quite strong tasting.