Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: st johns wort  (Read 5299 times)

star35

st johns wort
« on: April 10, 2014, 09:43:20 AM »

Hi does anybody have any opinions of st johns wort, good or bad.
Thank you.

Sarah2

Re: st johns wort
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 10:45:24 AM »

No experience personally but it is a mild anti depressant. It's used a lot in Germany for this as a more mainstream treatment.
You need to be careful with it because it's contraindicated for lots and lots of other common drugs you might take because of cross- reaction. So if you take it, always read the  leaflets that are in antibiotics and anything you take either OTC or on prescription.

carrs

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 09:54:57 AM »

Hi star

Yes, there has been research and it does work, but not suitable for serious depression.
And, as Sarah says, it may affect other medication, and you have to be a bit more careful in the sun.
Worth a try!

star35

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 10:18:08 AM »

Hi and thank you for your replies, i only have very mild depression so was thinking of trying this to start with.I am not taking any other medication at the moment so that shouldn't be a problem. When i next see the gp i will have a proper chat about it with her. Thanks again.

Sarah2

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 10:28:07 AM »

It's also worth checking that anything you take- such as other supplements and vitamins- will not be affected by it too.

Mia

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 11:11:36 AM »

hmmmm I''m thinking of trying this. I've been battling a mild to moderate depression since last year which is so unlike me. I'm lucky in that I've never suffered form this before so I'm eager to try anything if anyone has any ideas?

star35

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 07:25:47 AM »

Hi I was thinking of taking these then i read a post by Peri about concentrated omega 3 capsules, if you go to the web site www.mind1st.co.uk and read all about them they can also help with depression. As they also help with joint pain i thought i would try these first.

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 09:22:45 AM »

I have taken St John's Wort for anxiety for a while now. I know that you are not supposed to take them with HRT as it can interfere with the uptake but for me it's worth the risk. I would rather have the HRT not work so well but generally feel a bit more in control.

They definitely make a big difference to me and as I can't tolerate AD's then I am more than happy I have found something that works.

Honeyb
x

Mia

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 05:50:15 PM »

I have taken St John's Wort for anxiety for a while now. I know that you are not supposed to take them with HRT as it can interfere with the uptake but for me it's worth the risk. I would rather have the HRT not work so well but generally feel a bit more in control.

They definitely make a big difference to me and as I can't tolerate AD's then I am more than happy I have found something that works.

Honeyb
x

Oooh I am pleased to read this! 
I've just bought some of this and am hopeful of a bit of relief. :)
I will post an update if I notice any change  :)

Mia

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 05:51:44 PM »

Hi I was thinking of taking these then i read a post by Peri about concentrated omega 3 capsules, if you go to the web site www.mind1st.co.uk and read all about them they can also help with depression. As they also help with joint pain i thought i would try these first.

I already take concentrated omega 3 but for me they only help with joint pain which is great.
Then again my depression may be worse if I didn't take them  ??? who knows....

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 06:16:14 PM »

Omega oils won't do anything for anxiety/depression whereas St John's Wort will.

I took it years ago to help with PMT. They made such a difference that hubby would check I was still taking my pills. They levelled out my mood swings so I have had years of finding them helpfull.
My sister in law lives in Bonn and she was prescribed them for menopause anxiety by her GP even though she was on HRT. It's the first stop for German doctors rather than AD's.

Honeyb
x

Mia

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »

Oh Ta for that Honeyb, I take B6 for mood swings too, i was wondering whether to stop taking the b6 or take it alongside the St Johns Wort?
Any thoughts anyone?

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 09:50:41 AM »

I take B6 too.

Don't know if it helps that much but it does no harm.

Honeyb
x

Mia

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 02:06:32 PM »

I take B6 too.

Don't know if it helps that much but it does no harm.

Honeyb
x

Thanks  Honeyb :)