Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Texas chain saw massacre!  (Read 3592 times)

purpleunicorn

Texas chain saw massacre!
« on: April 07, 2014, 05:53:17 PM »

Hello all

This is my first post on the main boards, so bear with me.

I am 45, and am pretty certain I am going through the menopause. I have had a lot of dryness, sore boobs, periods coming every 2 weeks for the past couple of months, and then this morning I got up and despite having a super plus tampon PLUS a super plus towel it was like a scene from a horror film. I continued to soak through 6 tampons and doubled-up towels before lunchtime, and although it has slowed down somewhat it is still really heavy. The only time I have bled like that was when I was miscarrying back in 2002. I did go to the GP about possible HRT as I am younger than the average age and there is a risk of osteoporosis but he said I didn't need HRT and told me to take evening primrose oil, which I am. I can cope with all the other things but this flooding is horrendous, I couldn't leave the house.

Is this normal, and should I see the GP again?

Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Texas chain saw massacre!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 05:57:49 PM »

:welcomemm:   :hug:  change your GP

At your age you need HRT to protect heart and bones …….. to prevent osteoporosis.  Evening Primrose oil - on the NHS I wonder …….

Bleeding like you have suffered can be helped with medication. 

Make an appt to see your Practice Nurse - you may bet a better response and more sensible advice!

purpleunicorn

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 06:14:04 PM »

Thanks, I did ask him specifically about the osteo risk; I already have arthritis so any more problems with my bones would be hellish!!!
He said that as my MRIs (for the arthritis) and bloods had shown nothing untoward I was not at risk. I was pretty surprised at this as I knew it was well documented, but you just accept what the professionals say don't you?

Do the nurses deal with menopause?

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 06:25:37 PM »

Practice Nurses usually deal with most issues and if they think a GP opinion is required will suggest it  ;)

Your GP is on which Planet  :cuss:  you can ask for a bone scan to check for your bone density, usually done on a pelvis - I had DEXA scans  on the heels for several years but a pelvic scan is more definite on the bone state.

MRI is different and when was your last check?  Blood tests won't tell much about menopause or bone density! 

Sarah2

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 06:38:18 PM »

Oh that sounds awful.

You need another GP or a referral to a gynae who can treat your heavy periods- no woman needs put up with this in 2014!

HRT may or may not be what you need. You are not yet menopausal and you could be in peri for many more years - so if your last period was  to happen aged 50, you'd not be considered young for meno ( average age is 51).

You do though need some help with the bleeding and either drugs or the Mirena coil might work.

If your periods had stopped by age 45 then you'd def need HRT for your heart and bones, but as you are in peri it's not so essential yet and more oestrogen might make your bleeding worse.

Is there another GP you can see or a meno clinic near you?

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 06:51:39 PM »

The dryness can be treated too ……..

carrs

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 06:07:16 PM »

Hi
I agree - you have not reached menopause yrt, but it is common to have irregular cycles in the few years before it, and the periods can grt very heavy.
If the periods are that heavy every 2 weeks, that would be unacceptable. Could be fibroids, maybe? You might need some iron tablets if it goes on too long.

annied

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 08:17:17 PM »

Hi Purpleunicorn
I concur with everyone else. You shouldn't have to put up with this. If you carry on bleeding like this, you will become anaemic. Lets be honest you have enough on your plate without adding tiredness to it.
Find a female GP, she might be more sympathetic. No bloke would put up with that sort of bleeding and discomfort.
At least ask for a scan if an internal shows nothing. Don't leave the surgery without some sort of plan.
A vague GP is a waste of time  :-\
Let us know how you get on. Good luck
Anne