Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FemSeven discontinued  (Read 13930 times)

Tigony

FemSeven discontinued
« on: April 16, 2014, 07:08:26 PM »

Hi, I wish I had found this site years ago! Been on Evorel Sequi and Conti for a while, then my doc prescribed FemSeven as through the worst of it. My left side headaches which had been plaguing me for years disappeared overnight and I felt marvellous, much more emotionally stable as well. Then the makers of FemSeven discontinued it and doc put me back on only Evorel Conti. I woke up with a headache again every morning. So I stopped, and went back. There is no other patch now apart from this one for post meno, so I have accepted tablets with a different kind of progesterone. I remember taking the progesterone only pill for a very short time in early marriage. The mood swings were horrendous. I did break up with my husband while using Evorel nearly four years ago, but his behaviour would have tried the patience of a saint, and it did seem to reduce my ability to cope with his antics, as I was so nervous and anxious.

Anyway, anyone else having headaches or mood swings with Evorel?

What is anyone else doing about FemSeven being discontinued?

Very happy to be among you!

honeybun

Re: FemSeven discontinued
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 07:35:34 PM »

Who has told you that they are discontinued?

I am on Evoril conti and am fine but I seem to be able to tolerate the progesterone quite well. Femseven has a different progesterone so perhaps that's why you are not so good.
There are different options. You could have an oestrogen only patch and a bio identical progesterone called utrogestan in pill form.

Have a search for utrogestan and you will see what others have to say.

Honeyb
x

Tigony

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 09:33:22 PM »

First the chemist could not get any for my prescription, so I wrote to the makers to ask about this, and told the chemist, who contacted them herself. She was told it is being discontinued. I am gutted. I have been prescribed Femostan Conti pills, which have a newer progesterone formulation to Evoril, so we shall see how we go. But I would much rather have patches. Thanks for replying.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:18:49 PM »

This is worrying news indeed. There are only two types of patches available which give both oestrogen and progesterone - Evorel and Femseven. Lots of women don't get on with Evorel due to the fact that Norethisterone is the progesterone and causes PMT type side effects and depression. I am currently trying to find details online about the discontinuation of Femseven but so far I haven't found anything which is encouraging. I hope that the information you have been given is incorrect  :-\

Taz x

Shazzie

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 03:59:35 PM »

Hiya

I have been told this too by Boots and Asda Pharmacy. 

I have decided to try and do without and see how it goes but feeling a bit scared at just stopping in case I should taper them off.  I don't really want to try another sort of patch as I don't want the headaches that I suffered when I first started.

Don't suppose you have any advice on how to stop.  I have been on them for 4 months and I am 53.

Thanks so much for your help and nice to chat with you.

Shazzie xx

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 05:25:55 PM »

I have stopped abruptly and also tapered my patches off. Each time the symptoms returned within a few weeks so, for me, the slow withdrawal didn't make any difference. I had been on HRT for a few years though so it may not be so bad for you. I'm so sorry you are having to stop if Femseven suited you.

Taz x

anna123

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 06:49:45 PM »

I was on Evorel sequi and suffered terrible mood swings. I saw Dr currie and she said the progestone is difficult to tolerate and  put me on Femoston 2/10 tablets. I've had no side effects since

lynn walker

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 10:29:27 AM »

I have just checked with my GP surgery regarding FemSeven being discontinued and my patches are there waiting for me and they have not be advised of a discontinuation of these, thought I would let you all know as it was a worry.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 04:18:28 PM »

That's heartwarming news lynn! As there are only two combined patches on the market and a lot of women don't get on with Evorel it would be a shame to lose Femseven - even though they don't always stick like they should!

Taz x

lynn walker

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 09:28:34 PM »

I take it that they don't stick too well, Im due to put my first one on Saturday, so I will let you know how I get on, I never had any problems with the Evorel sticking.

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 10:27:56 PM »

Evorel stick brilliantly but Femseven have a tendency to slide off after a few days. A Femseven patch has to last seven days so that  may be part of the problem. It is worth following the application instructions to the letter. I found that holding the patch firmly in place with your palm for at least thirty seconds helped it stick. Good luck!

Taz x

Tigony

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 03:21:21 PM »

I will try this warm palm trick when I get my new prescription. I was sticking them back on with multiple plasters which looked very odd and I am not sure worked! They should do something about the glue formulation. If Evorel stays in place, which cant FemSeven?

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 03:52:04 PM »

The warm palm recommendation is part of the instructions on the patient leaflet I think. I'm not sure although it may be because the Femseven patches have to last longer? Some of us have written to the manufacturers but it doesn't seem to change. The hormone is contained in the adhesive so it needs to be firmly stuck to the skin for the hormone to be released. I've also found that if one comes off in the bath or shower I put it somewhere to dry and once it is totally dry the adhesive seems to work again and it sticks back on. It is extremely annoying and my GP surgery didn't like the fact that I had to keep asking for extra ones to keep me going as it was more expensive for them.

Taz x

sharon1958

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 09:08:47 AM »

I also found that I had problems with the adhesive even after following the instructions properly and now think that I probably wasn't getting the full benefit of the hormones due to this. I have felt much better since being on Femiston 1/10 for the past month (due to unavailability of the the Femseven) and even if the patches become available again I think I'll stick with the Femiston unless they make the adhesive better!

Sharon

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 09:19:24 AM »

It is really annoying that they don't stick properly and even more annoying that the manufacturers refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem.

It's so good that Femoston agrees with you sharon!  Some women can't use pills though especially as you get older where transdermal is seen to be the safest form of HRT so I wish they would work on the adhesive problem.

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2