Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Endometrial polyp, no bleeding. Can anyone help?  (Read 9772 times)

positivethoughts

Endometrial polyp, no bleeding. Can anyone help?
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:06:13 AM »

Hi all

Can anyone advise me on what I'm going through? I'm 50 and perimenopausal, I stopped taking the pill Cerelle (same as Cerazette) a POP on 10th Feb. Have been experiencing various symptoms like night sweats, mood swings, vaginal dryness for a while, and more recently lower abdominal pain and lower back pain. I thought the pains were most likely related to coming off the pill and my body reacting to that. I mentioned it to my doc and she said to put my mind at ease it might be good to have an internal ultrasound. This has shown a slight thickening of the endometrial lining in one area and a polyp. I have had no bleeding and she did stress that if there was bleeding I should let her know asap. I'm being referred to a gynae to have a look inside more clearly with a camera.

I think from the little I know that it is good that there is no bleeding? Can anyone help at all as I'm obviously concerned, and do suffer with health anxiety issues anyway, which doesn't help me staying positive.

Thank you  :)

Sarah2

Re: Endometrial polyp, no bleeding. Can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 09:31:53 AM »

Try not to worry. Polyps are very, very common. Unless they are causing bleeding- which is usually more nuisance value than anything dangerous, they are nothing to worry about. A friend of mine had a polyp removed which was somewhere midway between the cervix and the uterus and it was all over and done with very easily. I suppose if you have taken the POP for a long time you won't have had any periods as such? The slightly thickened lining might be due to the way your hormones are behaving now and it's probably nothing to worry about- you might start to have periods again now you are off the Pill, and your lining might be shed anyway.

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 11:02:17 AM »

When I was on the OCP, for a few years, using it as a hrt, I started forming a fibroid, I stopped taking the pill and went onto a bio identical hrt, this seemed to halt the fibroids growth, I am convinced that it was the synthetic progestegin that was causing it to enlarge, so you could still perhaps take hrt and not have to suffer all these nasty symptoms.

positivethoughts

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 12:00:15 PM »

Thank you both for your replies.

Is it likely that the lower pelvic pain and lower back pain are being caused by the polyps does anyone know? Or could it be my coming off the pill/phantom period symptoms perhaps? The ultrasound did show a fibroid too, but I guess until they can have a closer look they won't know what is happening for sure.

Yes because I have been on the POP for a long time I rarely had any bleeding, so I'm not sure what happens when you come off the pill, and are also going through the perimenopause re bleeding.

I wish I knew what was going on as I am worrying myself.

Sarah2

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 12:42:16 PM »

No- the polyp won't cause back or abdo pain.
My friend who had a polyp didn't even know she had one- it was found during a TV ultrasound for heavy periods- when they found that the HRT she was using ( Oestrogel) had caused an existing fibroid to grow and cause heavy periods.
She had hers removed during a hysteroscopy.

Polyps sometimes cause bleeding outside of normal periods or if they have been disturbed during sex for example.

You can get period-type pain with no bleeding- this is very common in peri.

positivethoughts

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 12:53:48 PM »

Thanks. So the pains are perhaps something else going on during my peri. They have been going on for a while though, very annoying and uncomfortable. Don't feel like having sex as it is painful inside.

Do polyps usually have to be removed?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 02:01:12 PM »

I had a polyp which bled on contact - gynae wanted to remove it but I wasn't well enough at the time.  When peri arrived, it shrivelled: all on it's own  ::)

Sarah2

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 02:37:43 PM »

It sounds as if you might do well with some vaginal HRT ( creams or pessaries) to treat the dry vaginal symptoms. Have a chat with your dr- it's very common and easily treated if you get some treatment going.

positivethoughts

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 06:29:13 PM »

Thank you all for your reassurance. I will hopefully be given an appointment soonish and go from there. I do wish the 'period' pains would go though as they are getting me down as well as worrying generally too.

I will also find out more about the vaginal cream too.

I'll keep going on this site as it is a great source of support.

:) xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 08:02:41 PM »

Take some pain relief? 

positivethoughts

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 08:20:58 PM »

I am taking pain relief CLKD and it is taking the edge of the pain. Combo of paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Thanks, and here's to a peaceful night for everyone.

:)