Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pain in lower abdomen  (Read 22195 times)

Diamonds and pearls 53

Pain in lower abdomen
« on: April 14, 2014, 10:18:28 AM »

I am worrying..I have come off hrt pending a referral to a menopause clinic due to bleeding issues but also  had already decided that the combination of oestrogen and utrogestan did not suit me due to unpleasant pmt type symptoms. One of these was abdominal pain, lower right side only, nagging but intermittent. The bleeding stopped within a week but the pain hasn't and it seems to be worsening..have stupidly googled and scared myself..I expect my appt will take a good few weeks to come through... so, should I go back to my GP?
Diamonds and pearls x

Sarah2

Re: Pain in lower abdomen
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 11:12:12 AM »

Sorry you are so worried.

TBH it may well be nothing connected with anything to do with your being on or off HRT.

Do you suffer from IBS for instance?

I wonder if it's something like that and being made worse by being anxious?

I can understand that you may be worried about other things like ovarian cancer, but this is usually symptom-free or only shows signs in the very late stages.

If you are due to see the meno consultant in 4 weeks or sooner, then I doubt if your GP would be able to arrange a scan much sooner ( they try for 2 weeks but it doesn't always happen.)

Maybe keep a record of what you can feel and so on?

The charity Ovacome has a tracker online (BEAT) where you can record your symptoms and show them to a dr so might be worth starting with that?

http://www.ovacome.org.uk/beat-ovarian-cancer-with-ovacome.aspx

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 11:50:55 AM »

Thank you Sarah, I mentioned the pain to my GP when I saw her just under 2 wks ago and she said that according to my previous scan results I have a v small fibroid in that area ..but even if the hrt had set that off I don't think fibroids usually cause pain do they?
 You are right, the dreaded ovarian cancer sprang straight into my mind so it's a relief to hear it is usually symptom free, but I will have a look at the website you suggested. Also my  last transvaginal scan was  only in November and everything looked ok then apparently...
I don't suffer from IBS and this is definitely a right sided pain only,but I have noticed I seem to be having to wee more than usual so did wonder about a urine infection...
Honestly, I feel so fed up and anxious, it's bad enough dealing with the usual horrid symptoms of coming off hrt but now this extra worry!
I think I will try and book a telephone appt with my GP and see what she recommends-and also make sure my referral is underway!
Diamonds and pearls x 

Sarah2

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 12:16:58 PM »

Try not to worry...if you had a scan recently, it won't be anything sinister in the time since then.

Fibroids don't cause pain . They might give bigger bleeds but they themselves don't cause pain- they are an overgrowth of the muscle wall, so not dangerous in themselves.

The only other common cause of right sided pain is appendicitis. You could have a 'grumbling' appendix, as they call them, but not very likely.

Maybe have a chat with your dr about your worries and see what she says?

Trey

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 12:20:29 PM »

I had a ruptured appendix at 61 so not to be ignored.

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 12:43:38 PM »

Thank you Sarah and Trey, I have booked a telephone appt with my GP for tomorrow as that was all that was available (fully booked due to Easter) so will see what she suggests.The pain is there all the time now, like toothache but with intermittent 'stabs' that comes in waves.Miserable...

Diamonds and pearls x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 01:30:02 PM »

I've had this type of pain for years.  Usually because my bowel is 'slow'  >:( or when I've pulled a muscle  ::)

Trey

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 05:58:51 PM »

This is weird. My appendix ruptured over Easter weekend. If you get nausea, diarrhea or constipation I would advise you be seen.

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »

Trey, I haven't got those symptoms..just a low, nagging right sided pain which twinges intermittently. It first started about 3 weeks ago but has been on and off,some days barely there at all.The last 2 days it has been more persistent and today has been there all day. How long did you have pain before you realised it was serious?
Diamonds and pearls x

Sarah2

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 06:30:17 PM »

Probably a silly question but have you possibly strained a muscle doing something?

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 06:51:25 PM »

Sarah, no I am certain it's not that..it's a different type of pain somehow and it is definitely worse today. It feels gynae related-when it first started I thought it was to do with the progesterone but in that case it should have stopped by now,not got worse! I can't help but worry, but I will see what my GP says tomorrow.
Diamonds and pearlsx   

Sarah2

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 07:16:21 PM »

The only bit of your body on the lower right that is gynae related is your ovary. If you had a scan only 5 months ago then it's unlikely to be anything serious. Just to try to re-assure you- I had a small ovarian cyst picked up on a routine scan. I had no symptoms whatsoever. Cysts are more common when someone is ovulating and this was a few years back when I was still peri ( age about 53.) I had it scanned every 4 months to check it was not serious or growing and eventually after 2 years it went away.
As far as I know, once your ovaries are past-it then HRT can't affect them - ie make them produce a cyst.
I do understand how you are worried - I had to live with my cyst for 2 years never knowing what the next scan would show, although I'd been told they were 98-99% sure it was benign.
Try not to worry - but see what your dr says.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 08:41:07 PM »

My appendix is long gone  ::) and I wasn't a classic case as my age was 'wrong' and symptoms were on and off  ::)

Trey

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 08:59:41 PM »

The reason I persist is mine would come and go for ages. When removed it showed many old abscesses. Try this test. Press on left side of abdomen with four fingertips not hard and quickly remove pressure and see if you get a rebound effect. I'll be back as need to check something.

Rovsing's sign. A health care provider tests for Rovsing's sign by applying hand pressure to the lower left side of the abdomen. Pain felt on the lower right side of the abdomen upon the release of pressure on the left side indicates the presence of Rovsing's sign.

Again. Just a thought. But you actually might google appendicitis and see if you see yourself.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:58:32 PM by Trey »

Wombat

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 10:23:58 PM »

Hello....sorry to hear about your pain. Have you considered it may be gallstones. This pain can appear to be abdominal

Hope your GP diagnoses whatever it is, so the pain can be treated  soon

Wombat x
Pages: [1] 2