Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: How much do our hormones naturally vary?  (Read 2651 times)

itwillbebetter

How much do our hormones naturally vary?
« on: April 08, 2014, 02:03:13 PM »

Hi all,

I am currently having weekly blood tests to try and see whats happening as I am all over the place.  Starting place was oestrodial of 693 ( was on tablet zumennon 3mg)

Having changed to oestrogel (4 pumps daily) my latest results show oestrodial at 177.  It has fallen gradually over the last 6 weeks apart from one week where it spiked up to 577.

I have had the blood tests done on same day/time every week.  I rub the oestrogel in the same place on my body and at the same time, give or take an hour.

I am due to see gynae next week to talk over results but wondered whether the change in levels is fairly ordinary or whether it is strange to see so much fluctuation.  I am in surgical menopause with no ovaries if that makes a difference!
Any thoughts  :thankyou:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:48:05 PM by itwillbebetter »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: How much do our hormones naturally vary?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 02:50:39 PM »

My Gynae won't do blood tests for hormone levels because our hormones alter randomly all the while  ::) …. people needing to become pregnant have regular blood tests but for ladies of a 'certain' age  …….   :-\  we learn to 'read' our bodies usually …...

Sarah2

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 07:03:07 PM »

That won't apply though CLKD to someone with no ovaries, will it? If someone has no ovaries their hormone levels won't change randomly because they are not producing much of their own oestrogen, though I think ( correct me if not) that post-meno we continue to produce some oestrogen through our fat cells- which is why women who are overweight often have fewer menopausal symptoms, but conversely are at a higher risk of breast cancer due to higher levels of oestrogen.

Perhaps Itwill, you might experiment with where you apply the Oestrogel? I have heard that some women are 'poor absorbers' of topical products. I wonder if you changed where you apply it, you might get a more constant level? eg if you apply currently to your upper arms ( as I do) could you try your thighs instead?

The other issue perhaps is if it's being absorbed okay, is something else going on which is preventing it being metabolised and getting into your blood stream?

Be interesting to see what you find out next week!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:04:55 PM by Sarah2 »

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 07:10:25 PM »

:thankyou:  didn't read all the way down  :sigh:  let us know how you get on!

itwillbebetter

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 08:24:24 PM »

Ah Sarah you just said the magic word 'metabolised' !!!  I am pretty sure my thyroid is struggling, levels are consistently 'normal' so I tick a box. (TSH varies from 3 to 4)  In all the research I have done this equates to being far from optimal and I have just about every symptom on the list! Trouble is fibromyalgia has been banded about as a diagnosis and I just don't buy it. I'll put money on this being thyroid.  Next weeks appointment should be interesting!

CLKD - You're not going mad! I edited my original post to add that my ovaries were removed so that information wasn't there when you first read the post ;)

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 08:01:10 PM »

:thankyou:

itwillbebetter

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 04:46:42 PM »

Well even more baffling news. After last weeks results of oestrodial 177 my results this week are ......................... 1249! Gp phone to say it was a tad high!  Bit of a massive jump there :o 

Looking forward to seeing the gynae tomorrow to see if he can shed some light on it  :)