Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Can I halve utrogestan capsule ?  (Read 18313 times)

Spangles

Re: Can I halve utrogestan capsule ?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 08:49:58 PM »

Hi Polly

This is really interesting, I'm experiencing exactly the same, I'm on the same dose and it's my first time using Utrogestan. I've been told to take it for 12 days but I'm only going to use it for 10, even though I forgot a dose! I don't think I can manage the full 12 days. Keep us posted on how you get on as it will be interesting to know, especially as I am the same.

Shellb
xXx

PollyH

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 09:26:11 PM »

Hi shellb

Glad I'm not the only one. I have decided to take it again tonight orally and see how I go. I have already missed a dose because it makes me feel ill. Do you use it vaginally? I'm not sure whether to try it this way I'm a bit scared too. A lot of women on here take it this way. Still got six too go - keep me posted how you are feeling. I had to stay off work this week because of it. Will report back tomorrow.

PollyH
xxxx

Spangles

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2014, 06:14:15 AM »

Hi Polly
I use it orally, like you I'm a little worried about using it vaginally as I haven't done this before. My main side effects with any progesterone are anxiety and low mood but since I have been using the Utrogestan I've felt absolutely exhausted, I take it at night too. I'm only using it for ten nights instead of twelve so roll on tonight so I can take the last one!!!
Keep posted on how your doing
Shellb
xXx

juliekim

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2014, 09:06:27 AM »

Hi Pollyh and Shellb,

I started on hrt end of December last year and after my own research asked for Utrogestan and Oestrogel. I have only ever used the Utrogestan vaginallly after reading it was the best way with less side effects.  I used 200mg for two nights and was in a progesterone induced fog! So I switched to 100mg and had no side effects whatsoever. I use two pumps of Oestrogel a day (you can use up to 4), but I do use the Utrogestan for 14 days just to be sure I get no build up in my uterus.  I have to admit that I did pierce the 200mg Utrogestan with a needle and squeeze some of the oil out for a few nights before I was able to get hold of 100mg Utrogestan. I know we are all respond differently, but just wanted to let you know that I have a good experience using it vaginally.

Julie x

Spangles

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2014, 09:29:57 AM »

Hi Julie
That sounds interesting. When you do use Utrogestan vaginally does it help with tiredness and low mood? Also does the whole capsule dissolve completely? How far do you need to inset it? Really sorry but I have no idea and I am looking at using it this way next time.
Thanks
Shellb
xXx

juliekim

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2014, 11:37:56 AM »

Hi Shellb,

Because I told my GP I wanted to use it vaginally, I got some vaginal applicators with the 200mg Utro, so I use these to insert the capsule.  I think other ladies on this website pop it in as far as they can manually! The capsule dissolves and you get a white discharge from that in the morning. It has helped with my low mood, although has taken 3 months to really help with this.  The tiredness is a hard one for me to comment on due to that fact I have chronic fatigue! It has helped me sleep better as I was having such disturbed nights before I went onto hrt, so I do feel better than I did.

Hope this helps a bit!  I am very happy to take Utrogestan because it is a natural progesterone and feel happy to use only 100mg vaginally as research suggests you don't need to take as much as you would do orally as it is getting directly to the site it needs to affect!

Julie xx

Spangles

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2014, 12:37:45 PM »

Hi Julie
Thanks for the reply, it sounds positive, I'm hoping to try it vaginally next time.
Thanks
Shellb
xXx

Cassie

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2014, 03:42:36 PM »

Its really simple, just pop it in when you get into bed, you dont have to shove it in too deep, as far as I am concerned this is the best way to use the Utro and there is absolutely no reason to be scared to use it this way, I am with a private gynae and he prescribes this method for his patients very successfully. I cannot swallow tablets so its a good thing that they can go in the other way.  :D

PollyH

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2014, 06:21:48 PM »

Hi cassy, shellb and juliekim

Have read all the replies and feel a bit better about trying the utrogestan vaginally. Hopefully I too will be able to use it for 14 days and the 100mg instead of 200mg. Can you do that juliekim without having to have a yearly scan to check everything is ok?

When I got up this morning I felt terrible. The only thing that helps me feel better is tramadol. I was prescribed it for my back pain and found that when I took it - it seemed to help my brain fog and tiredness - bit of a mystery.

Anyway I'm going t try and carry on taking it and hopefully when I see the doctor next Friday he will give me the 100mg.

Forgot to say, this afternoon I checked to see if my patch was ok and it had nearly peeled off. So had to put another one on, it's never ending.

Hope to hear from you all soon -thanks for the replies.

PollyH
xxxxx

Cassie

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2014, 09:10:01 AM »

It is generally considered, that if you are taking a dosage that is not usually prescribed as you would be, if you were using the 100mg for less than 25 days, then an annual scan is a good idea to see what the lining of your uterus looks like and if the Utrogestan is sufficient.

juliekim

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2014, 11:01:28 AM »

Hi PollyH,

Yes I agree with Cassie about getting a scan. I am going to ask my GP once I have been on it for a year, just to check things out.  I am having a good withdrawal bleed, so I am assuming that is a good sign.  I am also on a low amount of Oestrogel, which again, can only be a good thing in relation to taking 100mg Utrogestan.

Hopefully your brain fog and tiredness with be alleviated once your hormones balance more. 

Julie xx

Sarah2

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2014, 11:18:22 AM »

Not sure if the NHS offers scans unless there is a problem.
You can and must ask- but I wouldn't be surprised if you are met with a blank stare!
Usually the NHS only does scans if there are symptoms- not as preventative treatment.

Cassie

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2014, 11:49:59 AM »

Which is a shame really, as surely endometrial hyperplasia and the resultant long term treatment, whatever that would be for it, would far surpass the cost of a quick 5 minute scan just to see how things look... and to adjust the dosage according?

honeybun

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2014, 12:17:23 PM »

The medical profession don't generally like anyone going off piste with regards to treatment plans, and that's what you do if you use vaginally. I did not tell my GP that is what I intended to do as I knew it would be frowned on.
I don't think that you will be able to get a scan unless there is a problem. NHS cutbacks don't help and also the attitude that if we did not jiggle around with HRT there would be no need. Scans unfortunately are for problems and not for peace of mind d.

I expect if a scan is what you want then private is the only option.

Honeyb
x

Cassie

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2014, 12:26:51 PM »

Not so much using vaginally that is going off piste, but the fact that one is not taking it for the prescribed number of days which is the problem, in fact, vaginally has a far more successful delivery route. Private scans cost an arm and a leg... :(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4