Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Agnus castus  (Read 6337 times)

nickyk

Agnus castus
« on: April 16, 2014, 01:54:04 PM »

I have recently started this product as perimenopausal.I have found that this works brilliantly for mood swings and other things for pms too.Does anyone know if this stops or delays your period as i have only been taking this for a month and my period is nearly two weeks late.Although it would be great to have none at all it makes me wonder if it is the ac menopause kicking in well and truly.Has anyone had this experience taking this.Any tips would be appreciated
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:22:56 PM by nickyk »

Rowan

Re: Agnus castus
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 05:09:43 PM »

Agnus Castus (Vitex) is well documented and well researched in Germany

http://www.stevenfoster.com/education/monograph/vitex.html

If you have found it brilliant for your perimenopause symtoms I don't see any reason why you should stop it. Your period could be late for may reasons, one of them being the approach of menopause when your period will become irregular.

Vitex was one of the herbs I studied and many women have said the same as you, that it was great for PMS as it acts like progesterone.

Here is some more info

http://www.marilynglenville.com/womens-health-issues/menopause/

nickyk

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 06:24:52 PM »

Thanks for reply this was really helpful

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 06:35:18 PM »

I used to take it and then I started getting bleeds when I shouldnt, panicked and dashed off to the Doc, he said that it was working as a phytoestrogen, thus the irregular bleeds and put me onto a more stable HRT.

Rowan

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 06:51:48 PM »

Some women prefer HRT to Herbal remedies,

Vitex acts more like a progeaterone

Chaste Tree (Vitex agnus castus) - is highly esteemed the world over as a supreme female tonic. Vitex exerts a powerful influence over the endocrine system and is especially nourishing to the pituitary gland, which controls and coordinates the menstrual cycle. The berries of this North African shrub are phytosterol rich and help balance the hormones by promoting the production of progesterone and normalizing the estrogen cycle. Extensive laboratory studies with vitex have demonstrated its ability to stimulate the production of lutenizing hormones, which enhance the progesterone cycle, and at the same time inhibit the release of follicle stimulating hormone, normalizing the estrogen cycle. Regular use of vitex will help regulate menstruation, relieve emotional swings associated with pre menstrual tension, and come to your assistance when dealing with premenstrual abdominal bloating, breast swelling and tenderness, and craving for sweets. Its ability to restore hormonal balance enhances fertility, and it helps normalize reproductive functioning when coming off birth control pills, after giving birth, having a miscarriage or abortion. Women in the midst of menopause find that Vitex will ease menopausal flooding, help eliminate night sweats and hot flashes, lubricate dry vaginal tissue, even out excessive mood swings and help relieve depression. Vitex also stimulates the production of prolactin, and is taken by nursing mothers to ensure an abundant supply of milk as well as rebuild strength and vitality and increase energy. Consistent use of vitex has a strong anti inflammatory effect on the endometrium and has consistently been shown to offer significant assistance in the shrinking of fibroids.

I was taught this.

It is is possible as it is  phytosterol, that it could act  more promotable as a estrogen in some women. Though Herbalists would recommend  taking Black Cohosh (an estrogenic herb) with Agnus Castus as a herbal HRT.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 07:00:46 PM by silverlady »

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 08:49:32 AM »

Thought this was interesting from a well known gynaecologist

http://julietocallaghan.wordpress.com/2014/02/19/agnus-castus-thank-you-dr-nick-panay/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:32:23 AM by silverlady »