Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Problem with supply of femoston  (Read 12304 times)

Dandelion

Problem with supply of femoston
« on: April 09, 2014, 06:18:24 PM »

Hi Ladies  :)

Hope you are all not having too tough a time with your meno.

I renewed my femoston 2/10nprescription with the doctors on Tuesday and when I went into the chemists to pick it up today, they said there is a problem as the supplier hasn't got it in, and doesn't know when it will be coming in.

They said to go back to my doctor for alternative hrt, because they could not tell me how long I would have to wait for the femoston.

It's impossible to get an appointment with my own GP as it's too short notice, and I don't know if another GP would be able to help, as they like you to see the same doctor.

I was wondering, if I do without it, until it comes back in, however long that may be, will I just go back to how I was, or will I have 'withdrawals' and be worse, if I go cold turkey.

Thanks in advance

Sarah2

Re: Problem with supply of femoston
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 06:42:49 PM »

That's a right pain.

Have you tried more than 1 chemist?

You need to go round a few and get to the bottom of the problem- whether it's a production issue or what.

The pharmacy ought to know because when this happens the manufacturer usually says when there is some coming in and why there are problems.

I don't know about Femoston - but the green menu left will have the info- but can you double up by taking twice the amount of the 1mg-how does the progestin work then- is it double too?

You don't need to see the dr- you can phone up and tell them there is a problem with supply ( you can't be the only woman with the problem) or write and drop the letter at reception marked URGENT!

Sarah2

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 07:20:24 PM »

So is Femoston 1/10 still made? If so, you could take 2 x 1mgs tablets daily, and the progestogen in the pack as it's the same amount of progestogen for the 2mgs regime and the 1mgs regime. You'd need 2 packets to last 1 month.

Butterfly22

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 07:31:58 PM »

So is Femoston 1/10 still made? If so, you could take 2 x 1mgs tablets daily, and the progestogen in the pack as it's the same amount of progestogen for the 2mgs regime and the 1mgs regime. You'd need 2 packets to last 1 month.
Sarah I'm
So sorry I thought it was the patches, I've took my comment off as don't want to panic anyone!
I'm on a new hrt and just not myself! Sorry xx

Dandelion

swill i be ill if I am forced to go cold turkey for a few week
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »

That's a right pain.

Have you tried more than 1 chemist?

You need to go round a few and get to the bottom of the problem- whether it's a production issue or what.

The pharmacy ought to know because when this happens the manufacturer usually says when there is some coming in and why there are problems.

I don't know about Femoston - but the green menu left will have the info- but can you double up by taking twice the amount of the 1mg-how does the progestin work then- is it double too?

You don't need to see the dr- you can phone up and tell them there is a problem with supply ( you can't be the only woman with the problem) or write and drop the letter at reception marked URGENT!

Hi Sarah

I tried to ask the chemist when it would be coming in again but she just could not tell me, she said, days, weeks, how long is a piece of string really.
I didn't want to press it further and be a nuiscance, as it was obvious they just could not tell me when they would come in.
I did ask twice as it was, I asked why and when and I got a "?" for each question.

Also, my prescription is in Boots (the chemist with no femoston) so I don't think I will be able to get it anywhere else.

I don't have any of the 1/10 left as I ran out of them before I uposed.

The chemist won't give me any other dose than what is on the prescription. I will ring the docs but it could be weeks before I see my GP cos of easter and being fully booked and part time.

My question still stands, as I may not have any choice but to go cold turkey.
What will happen if I go cold turkey, will I be really ill or just how I was before?

If I won't be really ill, then I am not so worried about doing without, but I do really need to know what will happen if I am forced to go cold turkey?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 07:46:19 PM by Dandelion »

Sarah2

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 07:56:05 PM »

dandelion-  in this instance you may not need to see the dr. And if you do, waiting weeks is not an option- the rule is that patients have to be seen within 48 hours so your practice should offer this. if necessary you will have to see another dr at the practice.

Some chemists may have supplies left- you can ring around. You can request your prescription back from Boots and take it anywhere. some of the smaller pharmacies often have stock because everyone goes to Boots first!

You will not have to go cold turkey- your dr has a responsibility to offer you another type of HRT until this one is available. You could take Elleste Solo which is the same oestrogen, and a separate progestogen such as Utrogestan. There are options.

Dandelion

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 08:00:41 PM »

dandelion-  in this instance you may not need to see the dr. And if you do, waiting weeks is not an option- the rule is that patients have to be seen within 48 hours so your practice should offer this. if necessary you will have to see another dr at the practice.

Some chemists may have supplies left- you can ring around. You can request your prescription back from Boots and take it anywhere. some of the smaller pharmacies often have stock because everyone goes to Boots first!

You will not have to go cold turkey- your dr has a responsibility to offer you another type of HRT until this one is available. You could take Elleste Solo which is the same oestrogen, and a separate progestogen such as Utrogestan. There are options.

Hi Sarah

Why isn't waiting a few weeks an option?
We don't have a practice nurse so how come I may not have to see a doctor?

What should I tell reception?

I can't get urtogestan.
I asked my GP for utrogestan and she had never heard of it.
When I told her it is under micronized progesterone she got funny with me. I will be  happpy to take another patch they have got but it will be synthetic prog.

Also, in our practice, if you have seen a specific GP for one thing, you have to keep on seeing that GP.
As my GP will probs not be available for weeks, I may have to wait.

So, if I am forced to wait a few weeks, please could you tell me what I can expect in the way of symptoms.
I'm busy trying to google what will  happen to me if I come off hrt abruptly and getting nowhere so I would really appreciate an answer.

Is there any chance I will be really ill or go mental with lack  of hormones?
I just want to know so I can prepare for the worst.
I have bought some menopace but not sure if it will work.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:07:03 PM by Dandelion »

Sarah2

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 08:09:09 PM »

Dandelion- There must be a 'Plan B' for if that dr is away for some reason, or fully booked. These rules are usually flexible when need be. If you state firmly that you need to see a dr and yours is fully booked, they cannot make you wait for weeks. What would happen if it was something really life threatening?

You will probably not be the only woman in their care who is on this type of HRT,  so they may already have a plan in place. All that might be required is for you to pop in and explain to reception that there is a problem with the supply of your medication ( no need to say what) and can you alert the dr to this via a letter- and request an alternative- and you won't always have to see the dr for this.

Micronised progesterone is an available drug and recognised for HRT use. maybe you would be better off seeing another dr anyway who would be more reasonable?

I really wouldn't start planning what to do if you can't get a different type of HRT - I'd focus on contacting the practice, letting them know there is a problem and possibly make an appt and seeing if they can offer you something you find acceptable.

I'm sorry but don't know how you will feel off it- it's something that will be different for everyone.

I hope you manage to sort it out! Good luck with it all.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:14:46 PM by Sarah2 »

Dandelion

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 08:16:18 PM »

Dandelion- if you have to see the same GP then there must be a 'Plan B' for if that dr is away for some reason, or fully booked. These rules are usually flexible when need be. If you state firmly that you need to see a dr and yours is fully booked, they cannot make you wait for weeks. What would happen if it was something really life threatening?

Micronised progesterone is a readily available drug and recognised for HRT use.  I hear what you say, but if the drug you take is not available and this one is then it makes no sense for it to be refused. maybe you would be better off seeing another dr anyway who would be more reasonable?

I really wouldn't start planning what to do if you can't get a different type of HRT - I'd focus on making an appt and seeing if they can offer you something you find acceptable.
Hi Sarah

I still don't know what will  happen to me if I stop taking hrt suddenly.
Please can you just tell me what to expect, so I stop worrying.

I may have NO CHOICE but to stop taking hrt.
Another doctor may refuse to give me it.
I would rather know what will happen to me when I stop because then I can enjoy the rest of my evening, and stop googleing what will happen if I stop, so PLEASE tell me what may happen to me if I suddenly stop.

Utrogestan is NOT available at our surgery.
I have gone on about it so much that I got on my doctors nerves.
I think that my doctor probably thinks I place too much impr

Sarah2

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 08:17:43 PM »

I don't know how you will feel- sorry but I've already said that.

Maybe others who know more will come along and offer some advice.

KatieLiz

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 08:26:26 PM »

Why don't you take your prescription to another chemist?  That's what I do if they haven't got Femoston available at the time and I don't want to wait.  This has happened to me a couple of times.

Dandelion

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 08:32:44 PM »

Why don't you take your prescription to another chemist?  That's what I do if they haven't got Femoston available at the time and I don't want to wait.  This has happened to me a couple of times.
I just remembered, that there were two drugs on my prescription, a bowel drug that I got today.

Will the other chemist still dispense the femoston if there is another drug on the prescription?

Also, as I will be cold turkeying from 2/10 dose, am I likely to be worse than when I started hrt?

Thanks in advance

KatieLiz

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 08:54:11 PM »

I normally make sure I have a couple of weeks supply left when I get a new prescription, just so that I don't completely run out.  Have you left the prescription with the chemist?  Why don't you ask for it back and take it to another chemist that definitely has a supply?

Who knows how you will feel if you don't take it at all and go cold turkey?  When you are peri your hormones can fluctuate so much, you may feel ok for a while and on the other hand you may not.  I reduced my Femoston from 2mg to 1mg and felt ok for a couple of months but by month 4 I needed to go back to 2mg.  I feel very settled on 2mg and am not prepared to mess about with doses now.

Dandelion

A couple more questions please?
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 08:59:22 PM »

I might not be able to get an appointment with my own GP for a few weeks. I think she is in this week and next but she is fully booked.

I can't go to another chemist cos I just remembered, that there were two drugs on my prescription, a bowel drug that I got today.

Will the other chemist still dispense the femoston if there is another drug on the prescription that has been dispensed by another chemist.

Also, as I will be cold turkeying from 2/10 dose, am I likely to be worse than when I started hrt?

I don't mind waiting a few weeks to a month, so long as I know that the sudden hormone drop is not going to make me go insane or so angry/irritable/upset that I cant handle it.

I think my doc thinks I make too big a thing of hrt. Maybe I was too demanding asking for a hormone she hadnt  heard of,  urtogetstan.
Maybe she is right, maybe meno is all in my head.
I think hrt is overated, it doesnt work that much.

I just want to know I will be ok coming off.
Coming off valium made me go mental and I am afraid of that happening again.

Thanks in advance

Dandelion

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 09:05:54 PM »

I normally make sure I have a couple of weeks supply left when I get a new prescription, just so that I don't completely run out.  Have you left the prescription with the chemist?  Why don't you ask for it back and take it to another chemist that definitely has a supply?

Who knows how you will feel if you don't take it at all and go cold turkey?  When you are peri your hormones can fluctuate so much, you may feel ok for a while and on the other hand you may not.  I reduced my Femoston from 2mg to 1mg and felt ok for a couple of months but by month 4 I needed to go back to 2mg.  I feel very settled on 2mg and am not prepared to mess about with doses now.
Sorry for sounding frantic to all on this thread.
I'm just worried that cold turkey femoston 2/10 will make me go mental.

Another chemist will not dispense femoston, because there is another drug on the same prescription slip that boots have already dispensed.

I also like to get my new femoston two weeks before I am due to run out, but when I originally rang the surgery about two weeks ago, I chose the option of an appointment a few weeks ahead, because I could just book it then and there.
It wasn't possible to get the date I wanted, i.e. last week, unless I rang first thing when they opened the following week. i.e. last week.

You need to ring at 8am, and my symptoms are that bad that I am too anxious to ring for an appointment in that same week, because even if you ring at the minute the surgery opens, the lines are often engaged or you are on hold a long time, there is always the possibility that all the appointments have gone by the time you get through.
I worry in the back of my mind that I may run out of femoston, and that is why I rang 2wks in advance. I never actually thought there really would be a problem obtaining femoston, I thought I was just being paranoid so I dismissed the idea.

I went mental after stopping tranquilisers, and I am scared of the same thing happening again. I was actually getting my kit together to commit suicide back then, and was only stopped by not being able to get hold of a specific bit of equipment i needed to kill myself.
I did seek medical help and went on medication but I wish I hadn't as I used to do art, and now I just cant be arsed. They dull my mind and make me feel like a part of me is dead.
I have had CBT and use the tools to this day.
Emotionally (excluding meno related emotions) I have actually got myself together really well this last few years.
With perimeno anxiety and depression, however, any woman who has had it really bad knows that it is all dominating and all consuming, and I just want the old me back.

I don't want to go back there again.

All I need to know, is this likely if I suddenly stop, because it's looking like I am going to be forced to stop for a few weeks till my doc comes back and I can get an appointment.

I will ring the doctors tomorrow and hope for the best, but I am absolutely dreading it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 09:37:26 PM by Dandelion »
Pages: [1] 2 3