Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Qlaira and perimenopause symptoms  (Read 8702 times)

emma123

Qlaira and perimenopause symptoms
« on: April 08, 2014, 10:07:06 AM »

Hello there

I've been prescribed qlaira which is a HRT type contraceptive pill to help with my horrendous peri menopausal symptoms. Is there anybody out there who has had experience of the pill?  If so please give me some advice and info on success and time to work
Many thanks
Emma

KatieLiz

Re: Qlaira and perimenopause symptoms
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 08:43:51 PM »

I have not used this brand but I have heard of it.  I thought it would be the perfect stepping stone from using the contraceptive pill to moving towards full HRT.  In fact if I hadn't already started HRT I would have requested to try this.  It should help with balancing your hormones and give you protection at the same time.  Normally it takes about 3 months for your body to settle but you can start to feel a lot better sooner, it depends on what your actual symptoms are. 

emma123

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 03:14:58 PM »

Hi there sorry not replied till now. Thanks so much for your reply. I'm nearly 4 weeks into them now and dare I say it I might be feeling a tiny bit more me but going by past experience I might crash again tomorrow!! I know I should be more positive  but have felt horrendous. My main symptoms have been tiredness insomnia anxiety stress and depression with the occasional hot moment. I've still been having regular but lighter periods.  I don't need any contraception as my husbands had the snip. I have been at the end of my tether. I think if I could find more info on the effect of qlaira on perimenopausal symptoms then I'd have more faith. But I know nothing!!

KatieLiz

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 07:29:44 PM »

I would definitely give them 3 months just to see how you feel.  Most HRT's start on a 3 month trial before the GP prescribes anymore.  Not quite sure why your GP has prescribed Qlaira if your hubby's had the snip.  I know when I first had HRT,  my GP kept telling me to use extra contraception and I was nearly 51.

If things haven't improved after 3 months, then perhaps ask for another type of HRT.  Have a look at the green menu on the left and that gives you details of all the different preparations available.