Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Home Hair Colouring  (Read 10267 times)

Winterose

Home Hair Colouring
« on: April 08, 2014, 08:27:41 PM »

Advice please, I have just noticed quite  a lot of silver strands in my mostly light brown/fair hair.  I have some very subtle blonde highlights and low lights and they are just noticeable  and want a home colouring kit to wash away the silver bits without affecting my normal colour too much.  Is there such a colouring kit? Am complete novice in this area .  I have the discreet highlights done about every 4 months. Thank you :D

Scampi

Re: Home Hair Colouring
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 06:44:10 AM »

If your hair is coloured/lightened already, you would need to be extremely cautious with home kits - the colour they go will be affected by the colour you already have.

You may be best speaking to your hairdresser and getting it done at the salon. 

ellie

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 07:35:22 AM »

I am a retired hairdresser and totally agree with Scampi....There won't be a kit that does what you want .

Winterose

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »

Thank you, thought it was a bit too much to hope for, just dont want a blanket dead looking colour , will get advice from hairdresser, might have to up the anti  bit on the highlights, my hair is very fine so could be easily damaged.

Rowan

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 10:51:31 AM »

Totally agree, can't tell you the times I have listened to some saying why don't you go darker, each time a disaster, all I get is a muddy look that takes away the shine.

Always best to  get a hairdressers advice, though I keep my highlights with Belle Blonde Natural Extra Light Blonde, and use Schwarzkopf Gliss Spray Shine. For years I Uses "Touch of Silver" Spray shine, but it has been discontinued now I have never found one as good as it.

kerrieann

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 10:55:14 AM »

if you dont mind me asking silverlady, what is your natural colour? as i would like to lighten my hair a little and have looked at Belle Blonde Natural Extra Light Blonde, but wasnt sure

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 11:12:39 AM »

I was always described as fair, I had the sort of hair that was a light brown that always streaked blond in the sun, now I think a lot of the colour has gone and that's why when I use Belle Blond or sometime Nice n Easy Extra Light Blond I get the silvery highlights.

I never like to advise though, though some ladies have stopped me in the supermarket when I am at the Hair Colour Section and asked what I use.

Belle Blonde Natural Extra Light Blonde is quite gentle.

If you are in any doubt it is best to get a professional opinion.

kerrieann

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 11:34:09 AM »

thanks sl x

ellie

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 11:40:45 AM »

Whatever colour you choose, always make sure you do a skin test first, it's VERY important.......my advice would still be to go back to your hairdresser and have a chat....

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 02:12:28 PM »

If you really want different shades then a hairdresser has to do it. There are hair colourants that will give you a nice effect without being matt.

I dye my daughter's hair as well as my own. I like the Olio/a one. It's very gentle and gives a good mix of colour and shine. My daughter uses the Garnier blonde shades. She also uses a blue shampoo and conditioner to make sure it keeps a natural colour.
I have dyed both of our hair for years and have used purple, pink, blue and black on my daughter. Fortunately she has grown out of that phase  ;D
I would never go really dark even though that was my natural colour. It drains the colour out of your face. A few shades lighter is much more flattering.

Honeyb
x

Milliemoo7

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 09:44:40 PM »

I found Olia really difficult to get on with.  It made my hair all tangled and there didnt seem to be enough of it and it didnt have enough moisture in it.

My favourite is Schwarzkopf Colour Mask - so easy to use, even for me!

Winterose

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 06:09:59 PM »

Is that a wash out one? I was looking at some that wash out after 20 or so washes,

Milliemoo7

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 09:48:16 PM »

No, the Color Mask is a permanent dye

Winterose

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 03:58:13 PM »

going to try a semi and just see what happens, I get a shock when I see grey hair streaks in my friends hair  so realise people must see mine and think - shes ageing..... too busy this week to sort though,

Dahlings

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 08:27:30 AM »

Every so often, I think pah, i can dye my hair myself! Thing is, I can't, and always end up paying a fortune to my hairdresser to sort it out!

I just have the one colour, so if you have a lot of different colours, I'd definitely get a hairdresser to do it!
Pages: [1] 2