Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause and new here!  (Read 3016 times)

Milamam

Perimenopause and new here!
« on: May 20, 2014, 11:47:41 AM »

Hi everyone! It is such a miracle that I have found this site a few weeks ago and ever since then there is no day that I don't come over here and read. Sooo much useful information and so right to my heart. Thank you all, you are amazing!

I am 43 . I guess my symptoms must have started almost 3 years ago but at the time I didn' t realise at all that what is happening to me is perimenopause. I have always been like a clock at 28 days period, and after my two natural births, have had no PMT symptoms at all. Then all of a sudden, in the summer of 2011 i had this really frightening panic attack after much accumulated stress and lots of overseas travel. I thought it is exhaustion and didn't contemplate much. The panic attacks accompanied with generally being unwell continued sporadically but got more frequent and close to each other a year later. Again, not thinking about hormones, i went to see a neurologist and was prescribed a minor AD. My cycles at that time shortened from fixed 28 to 21-23-26. Didn't pay attention again. The anxiety however was improving and then worsening again and last September -8 months ago - the same neurologist prescribed citalopram 20 mg, which I still take. I felt relatively well, energetic and upbeat most of the time with anxiety and shakiness increasing right before my period was due. It would go away immediately after The bleed starts.

It was all good and manageable and I thought I am seeing the light of the tunnel until this March when I started feeling bad almost every day. Symptoms just began pouring - morning and sometime daily nausea, extreme anxiety, trembling hands, excessive night sweats, insomnia. The anxiety then subsided and was changed to fatigue, depression, lack of will to get up and go, sleepiness, etc. I have always been a very very energetic person, with my highest energy in the AM and sustained throughout the day. Luckily I don't work anymore as i don't imagine how I will be able to make it out of the house in the morning.

Back in March while speaking to,other women i began to realise this whole sudden change must be hormone related. And guess three weeks ago my gyneo confirmed outright that I am perimenopausal and prescribed HRT. He said that with these symptoms, especially the anxiety and mood changes, no herbal oitments will work for me. Today I am on my 16 th day of Femoston 2/10 and am glad that there are so many positive experiences with Femoston among you.

I do see some changes but much has to improve, esp on the depression, motivation and energy fronts. But i sweat much less at night and don't wake so often. Still though lack desire to do whatever needs to be done, which frustrates not only me, but my most darlings.

Sorry for the long post! I am really looking forward to discuss all goods and bads in the process. I often have doubts whether all that I feel and experience is all due to premenopause, but reading here I realise how little prepared I was for this period in my life!

Milamam

Dancinggirl

Re: Perimenopause and new here!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 02:09:18 PM »

Welcome to MM Milamam
Good to hear you are getting some good support.  Femiston is very popular with many ladies and hopefully as your body adjusts to the HRT more of your symptoms will improve.  Do remember HRT isn't a cure-all - I think getting a decent nights sleep can make a big difference to quality of life so if the HRT is giving you that and reducing the flushes I'm sure you will feel much better soon. At 43 you are experiencing an early menopause so you are doing exactly the right thing by taking HRT.
Good luck  DG x

Milamam

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 02:35:07 PM »

Thank you, DG! I am indeed hoping so much that the HRT will be the cure-all solution as I have honestly tried so many other things - homeophaty, counseling, herbs, change in diet. To be realistic i think the combination of many things should finally do the work, as for many other women. For a week now I started taking Melatonin with vit. B 16 at night and it seems that I do sleep better. I still get up once at about 4am, but this is nothing compared to before HRT. Knock on wood! I have also begun (on my own decision) B vit complex and omega 3s . I just have to be patient. So far the nausea in the morning is disturbing, as well as the lack of energy and drive. But the doctor said to give the therapy at least a full  month and then judge.

bev567901

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 06:58:44 PM »

Welcome & oh my gosh I could have written all of that! So similar. Hope your HRT is going to help. I have recently started it too (evorel
Sequi patches.) it really helps to know we are not alone xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 07:17:34 PM »

Hi Milamam

:welcomemm:

Good to hear you are feeling better on HRT especially as you are experiencing an early menopause. It is a pity your doc prescribed ADs for what is a hormonal disturbance but hopefully you will gradually be able to stop these in favour of HRT as your hormones became a bit more stable? Your extreme pms symptoms were either due to the sudden drop in oestrogen, or a physiological reaction to the fall in progesterone or both! There is an good article on this site about the peri-menopause which tells you what's going on in your body:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

The physical symptoms are the first to lessen usually and the emotional ones come later - but there may well still be some ups and downs while you are peri-menopausal - due to your own cycling and fluctuating hormones, but less while you are on HRT.

In terms of supplements - these are all very well but the most important thing you can do when entering menopause is to make sure your diet is healthy and full of all the vitamins and minerals you need, that you keep your weight down, take exercise, reduce stress, and limit alcohol! These measures will ensure your body is in the best possible shape for the coming years. In fact it is no good taking supplements & HRT, if these are neglected - I'm sure you've already thought of allthis as you sound as though you have tried lots of approaches! Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted!!!

There's some good info on this site:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diet.php

Sorry to hear about the nausea - and hopefully this will settle. Three months is usually the minimum time to give HRT a trial period to see if it suits you.

I know what you mean about being unprepared - I certainly was  - and it must come as a bit of a shock happening quite young - but you will find lots of support here!

Hurdity x

Milamam

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 07:20:23 AM »

Hi Hurdity and thank you soo much for the wonderful advices and encouragement which is what i most need at this time!!!