Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: pain and swelling under left arm  (Read 9787 times)

kerrieann

pain and swelling under left arm
« on: April 06, 2014, 01:31:03 PM »

hi all, asking for advice again :)   for a week now i have been having discomfort in my arm pit on left side, and there is some puffiness it feels like a golf ball but under my arm but in fact it looks slightly swollen, it has woken me for a few night when i turn onto the left side, so i rang the surgery and got an appointment on friday the gp examined under my arm and said there were no lumps etc, he said that there is just muscle and glands in that area.
I told him that ive had a cold for a week so he listened to my chest and said it could be a virus if there no improvement go back in a week.
i first noticed this a week ago and i had been to my sons for mothers day dinner and had been standing for about an hour in the kitchen, well as i have alot of low back pain ( another story  :)) i was supporting my back by leaning on my arms and wonder if its muscular ? the only other thing is about 10 days ago i was wearing and underwired bra and getting pain from it, it was digging in under my arm,   i have been wearing non wired this week as when i put the wired one on it was so painful but there is no mark or anything where the wire was pressing.
any thoughts would be gratefully accepted as i am walking round with one hand on my hip as its so sore to put my arm flat    kerrie

honeybun

Re: pain and swelling under left arm
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 01:51:35 PM »

Could it be the start of a cyst. I had one of those and it was the most painful thing. I think I started it off my self when I was shaving my arm pit. Have you tried lying in a hot bath with a hot flannel under your arm just to see if you could get some relief that way.
It could also be a blocked sweat gland.

If it's no better soon then go back to your GP.

Honeyb
x

kerrieann

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 02:34:34 PM »

i really dont know honeybun, but iam sitting with a heat pack under my arm right now  :)
it does feel better with heat, what was the outcome withe the cyst ?
i keep getting my other half to check for redness as it does feel very tender as though its a boil or something but there is no sign of anything just puffiness ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 03:04:30 PM »

Take it to the GP tomorrow if there's no improvement or show it to a Pharamacist?

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 03:53:03 PM »

It came to a head and burst. I never went to the GP so it could have been a boil. I had a dressing on it for quite a while as it kept leaking. Horrid thing, it was just generally painful for a while before it sort of came to a distinct lump.

Honeyb
x

kerrieann

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 04:16:47 PM »

yes honeybun this is painful, i had a boil last year just at the top of my leg as it joins your bum  ;D and it feels like that but there is no sign of any redness etc so that is why i keep thinking was it the bra wire, could it have caused some tissue damage? can wires do that ? off again with my health anxiety, never used to be like this, damn meno  :-\

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 06:32:27 PM »

If it is the gland swollen you may have an infection from somewhere else and your glands are doing their job. I once had a swelling from the gland in my neck, painful and uncomfortable. The doctor prescribed antibiotics, after questioning me about any cuts, gum infections etc.. There was nothing obvious, but the antibiotics did the trick.

kerrieann

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 06:43:33 PM »

ju ju i mentioned infection to the gp so he took my temperature and said no, do always have a high temperature with an infection ?

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 06:55:21 PM »

Not always I think. Are your glands up in your neck or under your other arm. If glands go up then they go up all over and not just in one place.

Have a bath and that may ease things or start to bring them to a head.

Honeyb
x

kerrieann

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 07:18:58 PM »

honeybun, no the only swelling is under the left arm, i will go and have a bath and like you say keep a hot flannel on it to see if it does bring anything up, ie boil etc.
I do keep thinking i may have done some damage wearing that particular bra for the whole day when i knew it was hurting stupid me :sigh: but i would have thought there would be a red mark or bruise if there was any damage

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 07:52:03 PM »

Could it be a hair follicle infection?

kerrieann

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 08:49:28 PM »

clkd, both myself and other have examined the area closely and cant see a thing except for a bit of puffiness, i just said to him iam going to lie flat on the floor and i want him to look closely again its so uncomfortable and i know its going to be the same in bed tonight  at the min i have a heat pack under my arm and have it resting on a pillow as it hurts to put my arm by my side  :( it does feel really tender and bruised, i never bruise easily but i am sure there would be a bit of redness if it were a boil, cyst, hair follicle or where the bra wire was pressing  heaven knows

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 09:32:16 PM »

Try putting a pillow down your side and rest your arm on it. It will keep your arm level with your body and that may help you get some sleep.

It may just come nothing but keep an eye on it.

Honeyb
x

kerrieann

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 10:09:38 PM »

honeybun, i have to sleep with a pillow between my knees to help with the back pain so i know what you mean, i will need one of those body pillows soon ;D it was a chiropractor that told me to sllep with a pillow between my knees and it does work.  kerrie

Ju Ju

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 05:45:28 PM »

ju ju i mentioned infection to the gp so he took my temperature and said no, do always have a high temperature with an infection ?

From my experience you can have an infection with no raise in temperature. I hope you get this sorted soon. If it persists go back to the doctor.
Pages: [1] 2