Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Dry mouth, sore tongue, bitter taste - hormonal?  (Read 9874 times)

mrspinkrat

Dry mouth, sore tongue, bitter taste - hormonal?
« on: April 05, 2014, 10:20:47 PM »

I have an extremely dry mouth most of the day and as a result, an incredibly sore tongue. I also have a bitter taste. I've had this for 5 months. Some days are dreadful. Some days are better. When I lie down the bitter taste goes but I wake in the night with a dry mouth. My saliva production seems ok - it doesn't make sense!
My periods stopped for 5 months, I had low FSH then they returned but longer, heavier and closer together. The taste/dryness intensifies just before my period.
I'm at my wits end 😢

flossie fiddler

Re: Dry mouth, sore tongue, bitter taste - hormonal?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 08:38:50 AM »

That was me before HRT. It started a couple of years back with a constant salty taste in my mouth, but then progressed to a feeling that I had salt burns on the roof of my mouth and all around my upper gum line. My mouth was constantly dry, no matter how much I drank. It was really irritating. I also became aware that I had dryness 'down below' too. It was only when I put all my symptoms together (there were many others) that I realised it was peri menopause. Since starting HRT all the dryness is gone.

Hope this helps.

mrspinkrat

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 01:31:12 PM »

Thank you flossy.
I don't know a lot about HRT - can I start it even though I still have periods?
Was your taste constant? Mine is bitter and my tongue gets really sore :(
No other 'physical' symptons at all.......

flossie fiddler

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 08:25:47 PM »

I am still having periods, but they were very irregular. Yes you can still go on HRT. My taste was there most of the time, but it's gone now.

Wombat

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »

Hi there.....I appear to have constant burning mouth syndrome....feels like a scalded tongue ! I thought it was only me, until the ladies on here confirmed it was a meno symptom

Dry mouth comes and goes...!!!!

Wombat x

Springisintheair

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 02:58:26 PM »

Hi- not sure if this thread is still active but I’ll post anyway!
I have had a constant strong bitter taste in the mouth that started about a year ago as a slight taste but now increased horribly! Not burning though- just bitter. After lots of tests and different medications  that didn’t work am now on hrt oestrogen gel as I have the mirena coil. S as free two months I have good and bad days. Is it worth upping the disagreement if gel? Any suggestions?

Tracy01

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 11:12:49 AM »

Hello ladies just found this forum so first time for me, I’m also suffering with dry mouth, comes and goes with me also, mine started about 2years ago, I work in hospital and put it down to wearing masks for must if my 13hr shift, I’ve been to doctors a couple of times and have now been referred to hospital, I’m not going to lie it’s out the fear of god into me thinking it might be something sinister, anyway I’m there next week so we shall see, I’m not on any medication at all, only thing that seems to relieve it is chewing gum, sounds ridiculous but it works for me, I’m hoping there is some sort of treatment, because it’s driving me mad, realy sorry for the rant haha

Peana

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 03:45:02 PM »

Hi, check out a recent thread called 'metallic taste' - there is a bit of info there on dry mouth.  I feel your pain, I hate it.  Hope the info helps.

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 05:22:55 PM »

Hello ladies.

I commented on another thread that I experienced a metallic taste in my mouth in the early stages of my first pregnancy, so definitely hormonal at that time.

Tracy 01 - Welcome to the forum. Your dry mouth may be caused by changing hormones but if it is an auto immune condition affecting your salivary glands you will find out at your hospital appointment and be prescribed the right treatment.
Take care and let us know how you get on.

Wishing you well ladies.

K.

Springisintheair

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2022, 08:23:17 PM »

I have been on HRT- oestrogel for two months now and think the bitter taste is not so overwhelming - although I might just be getting used to it. (I have the mirena coil for progesterone)  Am going to “up” my dosage of gel so if the taste does decrease more then it must be hormonal! 
Good luck with your appointment- if they don’t come up with anything try HRT maybe?

Springisintheair

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2022, 08:00:20 AM »

Hi Tracy- did you find an answer for your dry mouth? I still have the bitter taste and hrt isn’t really doing anything!