Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Confused with HRT  (Read 2446 times)

renee

Confused with HRT
« on: April 04, 2014, 03:53:31 PM »

Hi everyone,

I don't post often on Menopause Matters but I'm constantly on it for updates and general help.

Iv been on Climagest for nearly 2 years. I was on 1mg for 8 months then the symptoms all came back so Aug last year had my dose increased to 2mg. I take these tabs religiously, but 2 months ago I started breakthrough bleeding, insomnia, dry skin, tiredness, sweats and low mood.

I can't understand why the meno symptoms have returned, Im puzzled. X

Iv been to my Doc and Im due for an internal next week and have also been referred for a scan of my womb. To be honest I feel awful. My a Doc also suggested I change to another HRT.

My question is, would anyone know why the Climagest isn't really working for me now?

Thank you for reading this post.  :) xxxx

Hurdity

Re: Confused with HRT
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 07:26:38 PM »

Hi renee

Were you definitely post-menopausal when you started HRT ie had not had a natural period for 12 months? If you weren't then it could be that you may still have a bit of a cycle - which perhaps could cause some of your symptoms - especially the bleeding, although from what I can see Climagest is a sequi HRT so you would usually have a bleed every month, so perhpas you weren't fully menopausal when you started?

Aside from the bleeding - oestrogen levels continue to fall for around 2 years following the last period (or when it would have been) and many women find their symptoms worsen at this point, and so need to increase their dose of HRT.

It's good that your bleeding is being investigated though, although as I said you would expect to bleed anyway on this HRT?

Personally I found that the synthetic progestogen (norethisterone) in Climagest gave me headaches/pmt symptoms when I had it in patch form (as Evorel sequi). Perhaps you could try one that is better tolerated - eg Femoston 2/10 tablets?

Other than that you could consider an oestrogen patch (or gel) and separate (micronised) progesterone - Utrogestan. The oestrogens are listed here (scroll down for non-tablet): http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php and the progestogens here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php . The combined patches are only available in 50 mcg strengths and you may want a higher dose than this - taking oestrogen (transdermally) and progesterone separately enables greater flexibility with dosing, but you will need to read up on it and try to go to a GP in your practice who understands HRT, and is open to different HRT types!

Hope this helps and keep us posted.

Hurdity x

renee

Re: Confused with HRT
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 10:27:37 PM »

Hi Hurdity,

Yes I also get a bleed every month, no I wasn't post menopausal. I hadn't had a period for 3 months and had a lot of the menopause symptoms, so bad that I was having to take time off work.

The Doc can't understand why Iv started bleeding in between a normal bleed as Iv been taking Climagest for 2 years with no problem. Obviously, something is changing.

I have Doc on Tuesday for an internal and have a lot of questions for her.

Thanks for the advice. Xx