Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Commonwealth Games shame  (Read 11588 times)

honeybun

Commonwealth Games shame
« on: April 03, 2014, 06:13:51 PM »

It has been announced on TV today that as part of the opening ceremony they are going to.....wait for it....DEMOLISH THE RED ROAD FLATS.

Yep that's our answer to the Olympic Games.

The Red Road flats have been a slum blot on the landscape for years. There are six blocks left and five are coming down as part of the ceremony. The sixth one is being kept for asylum seekers  :o.

Over a billion people will watch Scotland demolish a slum. It's makes me feel so ashamed.
We have such a rich history so why do this.

In my opinion if it stands still long enough stick a tartan ribbon on it. What about something like the Edinburgh Tattoo. Not a block of b###y flats.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Commonwealth Games shame
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 06:15:47 PM »

It's only going to be a small moment in the Opening Ceremony  ;) ……. it's a part of UK history - those hi-rise that were supposed to solve problems  ::) …….. shows that the UK is moving forwards …...

Blue

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 06:24:22 PM »

Sorry Hb why is it a problem if its a slum anyway?

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 06:34:19 PM »

I was wondering about the the wisdom of demolishing anything at all. Given it's an opening ceremony for an event where Athletes will be running around breathing hard and getting a lungful of lung destroying .........

It may be good to demolish the flats, perhaps well before or after might be better.

Honeyb - Hopefully it won't be the lasting image of the games. You've got loads of history and beautiful buildings and scenery there.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 06:48:05 PM »

Who on earth wants to watch five blocks of the worse slums in Glasgow be demolished. It's supposed to be a celebration not this.

These flats sit on a hill on the east side of the city. They were at one time the tallest in Europe. They degenerated into drug and gang areas where people lived in abject poverty. It's something that should and needs to be done but not as something that the commonwealth watches.
It's something to be ashamed of not something to celebrate Scotland.

It's really annoyed me as its close to home and I want the world to watch Glasgow and think they want to come here for the scenery, the people and the history. Not this  :hotflash: :hotflash:

Honeyb
x

Wombat

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 06:52:29 PM »

Being blonde again......I thought they were demolishing them in advance to make a car park. 
Duh!!!!

Not much entertainment in that then ???

Wombat x

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 06:56:04 PM »

Nope they are going to do at at the exact time of the opening ceremony and beam it to the stadium and of course around the world.

Lovely....maybe they will have some music....that will help....NOT.

Honeyb
x

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 07:38:29 PM »

Can't understand it being the same time as the opening ceremony, the dust and mess will be seriously bad.

Hopefully people won't associate it with the City and people of Glasgow, they must know it's the politicians.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 07:46:42 PM »

Why not ask the question of the organisers?

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 08:08:29 PM »

It's a fair distance away from the stadium so there will be no dust and mess near any athelete or politician. They are going to beam the " spectacle " to the stadium and around the world.

London had James Bond......we have.....a falling block of flats.  ::)

Honeyb
x

Limpy

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 08:18:13 PM »

London also had Boris Johnson - getting stuck on a zip wire.............

It's good that the "spectacle" won't cause grief to any of the athletes. Politicians, now that's another thing entirely.

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 09:51:35 PM »

I'm sure it will be a big draw honeyb. I love watching the way they sort of collapse down. Reading the comments is interesting! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-26857816

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 09:57:08 PM »

I've just read the BBC article. Still not entirely convinced. Maybe see things differently on the night. It does seem a strange choice though.

Wombat

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 10:06:26 PM »

Perhaps if they put fireworks in as well......?

Sounds like a good excuse to spend the budget wisely (not) by combining it with rejuvenation of a deprived area.....

Sorry, but I really don't get it

Wombat x

Hattie

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 10:55:27 AM »

Really - I think that it shows some commonsense and ingenuity.
Pages: [1] 2 3