Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Vaginal dryness  (Read 2402 times)

Nervousnel

Vaginal dryness
« on: April 01, 2014, 04:26:36 PM »

Hi Ladies,  Not sure if this is the right place, but introducing myself as a new member.  Had this dreadful dryness since May 2012 at age 66.  Luckier than some who've started really early.  After 2ing and frowing to GP. proddings and pokings, scan etc. saw gynae who prescribed Vagifem 10 in early Nov. 2012.  After 6 weeks, worked a treat.  Back to normal, couldn't believe my luck.  Had a couple of blips when I've been anxious.  About 4 weeks ago it started to fail.  Bit anxious again. Nerves definitely are a big part.   Thought it would sort itself when anxiety subject over, but no. I was going to a 25th anniversary party, my dead cousins daughter whom I haven't seen for a long term.  I'm a miserable old bag, parties  are not my thing.  Also anxious about what present to buy.  Stupid, or what..  Got GP permission to do reload.  Last one last night, but  although much improved, not perfect.  Quite nervous about missing tonight.
Will try one night off, 2 nights on to begin with.  I mentioned to GP that ladies in Aus are still on 25.  He said he could still prescribe it (Essex, UK), but it wasn't licenced.  Not sure what that means.  Think I might have to go back and ask for 25.  Are any of you UK ladies using 25?  I wonder if I might be better to use 5 x 10 a week than 2.x 25.  Considering 2 weeks at 1 a day hasn't made it perfect like before, maybe that won't be enough. However, I know it might not be perfect again anyway.
So pleased I found this fab site with all you lovely ladies.  Its good to know others are thinking and feeling the same as me, and I'm not a complete wimp or nuts.

honeybun

Re: Vaginal dryness
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 06:05:31 PM »

Yeah, you found the right place.

Lots will be along to welcome you and offer advice.

Honeyb
x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 07:12:38 PM »

Hi Nervousnel

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your dryness.

I am not au fait with how the licensing/prescribing procedures work, so not clear about the unlicensing side of it. All we know is that it was no longer available here in UK from Nov 2012, so you can't get hold of it.

I presume he means he can prescribe you double the amount - that would be preferable because you won't have to keep going back for more! Many doctors do this but you wouldn't be able to have 25 mcg because it can't be obtained here. There is no good reason to prevent a woman having 25 mcg or doubling the 10 mcg because the research paper on which the decision was based, was done on a limited trial and based on a percentage of women who responded favourably to 10 mcg. Because this was statistically significant it was deemed sufficient for all. There was nothing to suggest that Vagifem 25 mcg was not safe, although no long term trials have been carried out.

If you are not also on systemic HRT (which I presume you are not?) then you are likely to need a higher dose - many of us who are on full HRT ( such as myself) also need topical oestrogen as well to combat dryness.

I haven't got the info to hand about relative absorption of oestrogen doses spaced out compared to twice a week - but personally twice a week is enough. It irritates my bladder the first night after insertion so for me the less often the better!

Hope this helps!

Hurdity x

Nervousnel

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 09:11:25 PM »

Hi Hurdity,  Thanks very much for the info.  I think I'll wait a couple of weeks to see how I get on, and then go back to GP.  Don't feel too good tonight though.  Burning a bit and its my lst night to go without after 2 weeks. Might try some replens tomorrow.   I'm getting a bit depressed over it but know theres girls out there worse off.
Sent for some omega 7.  I tried it last year which was a bit daft as I was ok and therefore wouldn't know if it was working at all.  I did notice, however, that the skin on my legs wasn't so flakey.  Also sent for a little gizmo from Victoria Health to put on the acu-point between the thumb and forefinger.  Supposed to deal with tension.  So maybe that will help.

ellie66

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 11:25:26 PM »

Where about in Essex are you? I am moving to South Woodham Ferrers.

Nervousnel

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 09:39:34 PM »

Hi Ellie66,  I'm in the Romford area.  Good luck with your move.  We've not moved since we got married.  Think I'd have a nervous breakdown doing that.  I'm a hoarder and my house is full to bursting.  All that 'stuff' to sort.
Spring is a good time to do it though. lol x