Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thank you NHS  (Read 9495 times)

Stellajane

Thank you NHS
« on: March 28, 2014, 04:45:25 PM »

I'm feeling pretty chuffed today.  My GP has agreed to prescribe Oestrogel to go with the Utrogestan I'm now using, so I now have my preferred and well researched combo on the NHS - fantastic!

Joyce

Re: Thank you NHS
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 06:40:16 PM »

Good for you Stellajane. Always helps when your GP is on the same page.

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 08:57:25 PM »

That is so good to hear Stellajane.

ellie66

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 09:11:29 PM »

Oh well done :) It really is the gold standard of HRT. I just love it, it is so easy to tweak the dose of Oestrogel and I feel fabulous on it.

How many pumps of Oestrogel are you on? I am on 3 which is roughly equivalent to my Femston 2/10mg. I will try 4 pumps though as I have the odd hot flush. I will ask my utterly lovely GP for another tube of Oestrogel next I see him.

I am sure he thinks I am nuts because I am always raving about fantastic it is!

Sarah2

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »

Did you have a problem getting it and if so why? I don't understand why some drs are so odd about this....if it comes down to cost you ( or anyone) can always try asking for a private prescription as a last resort and the cost is not much more than a prescription.

ellie66

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 10:56:44 PM »

What annoys me the cost is no more than Patches when you work it out. I just cannot understand why some women on here and on Dr Annie Evan Facebook group have such a hard time getting it. It can't be costs as its the same price as Patches.  It is fabulous HRT. My GP is just utterly wonderful and happily prescribed it

Dandelion

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 01:39:48 AM »

Did you have a problem getting it and if so why? I don't understand why some drs are so odd about this....if it comes down to cost you ( or anyone) can always try asking for a private prescription as a last resort and the cost is not much more than a prescription.
My doctor got shirty with me when I asked for this.
She told me that if my current hrt doesnt work, and I am not prepared to try the alternative with the norethisterone then I will just have to go through the menopause on my own.
She seemed exasperated when i asked about it, as she had never heard of it.
Some GP's are out of date with their meno info and are too arrogant to look new info up.

Dandelion

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 01:40:59 AM »

What annoys me the cost is no more than Patches when you work it out. I just cannot understand why some women on here and on Dr Annie Evan Facebook group have such a hard time getting it. It can't be costs as its the same price as Patches.  It is fabulous HRT. My GP is just utterly wonderful and happily prescribed it
ITs because some GP's think that it is too risky even though the studies which said this were flawed.

I think my doctor thought I was just being greedy asking for more oestrogen than 2mg pills.

Sarah2

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 08:33:02 AM »

There is no extra risk with Oestrogel- all the transdermal forms of oestrogen are in fact safer than tablets. There are no studies which show that Oestrogel is not safe. The studies you refer to- the MW and WHI studies were not about patches/gel v tablets.

It's possible with gel to adjust the dose up to 3mgs. But this is no different from someone taking 2 tablets instead of 1 to get a higher dose, or using 2 patches! Your dr would still be able to monitor how quickly you were getting through a pump of gel when you asked for a prescription, because 2 pumps a day ( 1.5mgs) last for 32 days ( a month) and 4 pumps would only last for half that time.

Most GPs don't prescribe it simply because they have not heard of it- I assume.

StellaJ - you can adjust the dose easily- I found 1 pump enough to control all daytime symptoms, but I still had some insomnia and hotness at night - so I upped it to around one and a half pumps; if you press the plunger just half way down then you can use just half a pump. I also divide the dose between morning and evening. Using the whole dose in the morning initially gave me nausea. I'd suggest you start with 1 pump and see how you feel on that.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 08:41:00 AM by Sarah2 »

Sarah2

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 10:08:53 AM »

I think what is annoying for you is that consultants take a different approach: mine offered me gel as 'his' choice of what was best /safest and also ease of adjusting the dose- he thinks it's wonderful stuff. It's also the first choice  in France where they are much more pro HRT than the UK. It's very annoying that GPs are so stuffy, a bit out of touch and patronising if that is what it comes down to.

I do think that menopause is the poor relation when it comes to most GPs' interests and professional development.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:11:26 AM by Sarah2 »

Morwenna

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 10:13:09 AM »

Are you taking the Utrogestan orally or vaginally if you don't mind me asking? And would this be on a sequi or a conti basis?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:15:26 AM by Morwenna »

Rowan

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 11:03:12 AM »

I am phasing my estrogen only patch out now, I have Estrogel and have started to rotate it by dabbing on ear lobes ( very enriched blood supple) and inner wrists.

Using after my morning bath, I don't have to worry about my half patch coming off and ending up in the plug hole as it has on many occasions.
I am post menopause and don't need to take progesterone to protect my womb, with the gel you do have the ability to tailor it to your needs.

If my GP was reluctant to prescribe, I would certainly ask for a private prescription.

I certainly feel well though I don't rely on estrogen only. Preventative health care along with NHS care is the answer.

Sarah2

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 11:13:29 AM »

Not sure about using it near your face or on your wrists- the instructions are quite specific about where it should be used for a) safety and b) best absorption.

Being post-meno doesn't mean you don't need a progestogen: all women need a progestogen if they have a uterus, regardless of if they are peri or post meno.

Rowan

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 11:46:15 AM »

It suits me and as I said I feel very well.

I have had a hysterectomy and don't need to use progesterone, I have said this countless times in my posts over the years. I do have natural progesterone cream if I felt I needed progesterone, it does calm and help with sleep. I have more lee way then a women who has not had a hysterectomy.

I have educated myself about menopause since my thirties and worked with women with hormone problems, the information is out there, it was even before the internet.

I have a regime  that works for me., you will find that French women will have a regime that works for them. I have read a lot of articles and books about French women's use of HRT and taking care of themselves' and have posted about it in the past.

As far as I am concerned topical hormones get into the blood stream wherever you apply it, if you apply in the very fatty areas it may take a bit longer and could accumulate, so the thinner blood enriched areas are better, I only use a tiny dab and probably much smaller dose then the instructions say but that is the beauty of the gel , it can be adapted to needs. My Doctor first prescribed me Estrogel about 10 years ago, I had patches too, over the years I have come to feel I need less estrogen and now using the gel suits this purpose.

Sarah2

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 12:05:22 PM »

That's fine then. But what you said was that women who were post meno didn't need a progestogen- which is not correct and might confuse people who are reading your post. That's all :)
Pages: [1] 2