Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Interesting article re sex drive and progesterone  (Read 7061 times)

peri

Re: Interesting article re sex drive and progesterone
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 12:40:11 PM »

Hi Taz

Interesting article.  I have a question re different progesterones.  I'm on evorel sequi and it says on the side menu of this website that the progesterone (noresthisterone) is testosterone based.  Do you think that would help with libido/response which is something I am struggling with and trying to revive.  I only ask as I am having side effects with the noresthisterone and may ask to go on to the other one beginning with U that everyone on here seems to agree is gentler, but obviously need to weigh up all my options before I make the decision.  I would be grateful for your input.  Do you think I should post it as a new question? Thanks in anticipation of your help x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 04:42:09 PM »

Hi peri - although it is testosterone based I am not sure that it would work in the same way as testosterone. I was on it for quite a few years and it made no difference at all to mine but whenever I am on HRT my libido nosedives anyway but Norethisterone definitely made me feel much worse and "unsexy" than the one in Femseven (can't remember what its called now!)

It is so sad when libido disappears. There are quite a few threads about it on here. If you put libido into the search box in the blue bar at the top of the screen it will bring up the threads. The only HRT which is thought to help with libido is Tibolone but this is only licensed for post menopausal women. http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/tibolone-tablets-livial  It is possible to get testosterone prescribed but only from a private consultant I believe.

You could post it as a new question - you  might get more replies.  I know exactly how you feel - losing this part of ourselves is so upsetting and not something that you think will ever disappear.

Taz x

peri

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 09:51:07 PM »

Thanks Taz for your reply I will post for more input before I make a decision. Taz and Stellajane I am newly married and soooo want things to be as good as I know they can be + I know my own body and it's not working as it used to and I think I'm mourning that but want to try everything I can before I give up on it xx

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 12:30:22 AM »

You are lucky that you are evenly paced Stellajane. I meet so many men whose wives have stopped needing a sex life and they are quite bewildered as to what they should do because they are still firing on all cylinders so to speak! I'm not sure that the length of time together means that you always end up "evenly paced"  :-\

For myself I really miss it and would love to feel as I used to. It seems so sad that this part of life can finish. I had a really full life as well as a great sex life so now it feels like something is missing and it is not great if a partner still has a good sex drive.

Taz x

Wombat

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 12:01:32 AM »

Hi. I have no libido to speak of...... >:(.     My gynae gave me a testosterone implant a few years. All it gave me was a bruise and a hairy chin !!!!!  ;D

Trey

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 12:23:49 AM »

I wonder if ERT  raises the sex drive (post hyst decades ago) or if maybe I'm just a dirty old lady.  Hmm.😜

Wombat

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 12:54:28 AM »

ERT ????

Trey

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 02:21:29 AM »

ERT = Estrogen replacement therapy.   I learned that on this forum as I have so many other things.

Rowan

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 07:57:42 AM »

Think it's more to do with sexual attraction then hormones per se, a new exciting man does an awful lot to boost pheromones and libido whatever the age. Some men just ooze pheromones.

Interestingly there was a mention in Woman's Own health and beauty this month "Natural progesterone cream can be used very effectually to address low libido" 

Its just as upsetting Taz, when your partner has to give up that side of things too due to advancing age and heart disease,The love is still there even desire, just the body letting him down, and you are still functioning normally.  Just another thing in life you have had to accept and I think a lot of other women have to..  Some men have their problems too as they get older.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:41:00 AM by silverlady »

Wombat

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 12:08:45 PM »

Thanks Trey.....
New man. Now that's a thought !!!! ;D ;D ;D

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 01:12:10 PM »

I don't think that even Brad Pitt could float my boat these days.  ;D

Honeyb
x

Rowan

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 01:34:11 PM »

I do have a little list HB  :) Captain Jon-Luc Picard is at the top  ;D I think it must be the way he says "Engage"  ;D

Wombat

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 09:35:17 AM »

Captain jack sparrow for me please !

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 08:02:24 PM »

It is an interesting article and definitely I wish that more was being done in this area. So typical - men can and often do go off and get a younger model so who cares that older women lose their libido. I haven't filed mine away yet ( even though I have none!)but my husband has decided that I have as I show no interest so that's it really. A big and hugely enjoyable part missing from my life too.

Also I disagree re the attraction but won't go into it on the open forum. If you have it, you get it (thefeeling) any time anywhere and with not much needed to stimulate it - irrespective of who you're with and how long you've been with them. If you still get it when faced by a gorgeous young attractive male (or on your own  ;) )but not with your long-standing OH - then you haven't lost it. If you've lost it you really have lost it and you know you have. It is most definitely primarily a physiological response controlled by hormones ( or lack of them), as well as other things

Interesting idea about oestrogen - I think most of us on post-menopausal oestrogen doses (50 mcg patch or thereabouts) are aware that it elminates most of the negative physical symptoms of menopause and improves many aspects of our long term health - but is far lower than the level needed to feel great - that excitement and real verve for life as when younger - even if doing interesting things.

I would love to see what I felt like on double the dose - although taking it externally and getting the right dose is tricky, and then of course there is the progesterone problem - more oestrogen means having to have more progestogen. Also one reason for keeping a cycle all the time - at least you don't have to have the wretched stuff coursing through you continuously dampening everything down!!!

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2