Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: My Dr is confused!  (Read 3635 times)

ladybird52

My Dr is confused!
« on: April 02, 2014, 08:09:30 AM »

Hi, so went to Dr yesterday to recommence on hrt following my hysterectomy 4 weeks ago armed with letter from consultant who wanted me to change from premique to cyclical hrt to see if there was a withdrawal bleed and if not then go on to oestrogen only hrt as I don't have a womb now but kept cervix.

Anyway Dr read and reread letter several times and said as I don't have a womb now he didn't see why I needed to change and wrote out normal prescription for premique! He then changed his mind..ripped it up and prescribed elleste duet 1mg after me explaining what consultant told me and what I had learned from some of you. He wasn't happy at all that consultant hadn't taken care of it.

Has anyone else been in this situation and hopefully hrt given will work as I'm desperate to go back on it as horrible night sweats back with a vengeance and hardly slept again last night. Thank goodness for this forum! Any suggestions anyone?

Rowan

Re: My Dr is confused!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 08:55:39 AM »

I can only go on my own experience ladybird, I had a hysterectomy and kept my ovaries and cervix, I have only ever been prescribed estrogen only since the op, and have had no problems, I have had different delivery methods over the years but no doctor has ever suggested I needed progestin/progestin to protect a non existent  womb. It might be possible that the cervix may retain some cells to cause a few drops of blood, some women can have this, and you may have a little discharge for a while after the operation, its only been four weeks since you had your hyst.

I sometimes had this and reported it to my doctor and she said it was perfectly normal and never suggested combined HRT and it eventually petered out.

I do use an OTC natural progesterone cream sometimes, it helps to calm and can aid sleep.

I continued having my smear test when called too, they always came back normal.

Your main concerns are night sweats that estrogen will certainly take care of, combined will too but may come with the problems that prescribed progestin/progesterone can bring, that's one of the good things about hysterectomy not having to use these if you don't want to.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 03:02:59 PM by silverlady »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 11:09:22 AM »

I can't understand why Consultants don't start patients on treatment whilst they are in Hospital and then the GP Practice continues if results are favourable  :poke2: - that's why there are Phramacies in Hospitals  >:(

How are you otherwise?

ladybird52

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 01:28:49 PM »

Thanks silver lady & CLKD. It totally confused me too why consultant just didn't sort it out. The doctor just didn't get his plan at all. Will be seeing consultant again in a few weeks so I guess he can check out hrt then? I am feeling better every day thanks but Dr said must def stay off for another two weeks so I am going slightly mad now with boredom and feeling a bit isolated at home.  :spin: :spin:

Rowan

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 03:06:21 PM »

Take it easy ladybird, you might feel bored at home but resting is important , going back to work to early could set you back and you will be surprised how exhausted it can make you feel.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 04:09:03 PM »

Hi ladybird52

It sounds like the consultant did sort it out though by giving you the correct prescription - but perhaps not immediately?

Here is the explanation on this site which is as silverlady said - re the cells:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/aftermeno.php

Sub-total hysterectomy

If the main part of the uterus has been removed but the cervix retained, it is currently uncertain whether HRT can be given in the form of estrogen only or estrogen combined with progestogen. The slight concern of using estrogen only, is that there may be some of the cells of the lining of the uterus in the cervical canal which could become thickened from the estrogen. This thickening can be prevented by adding in progestogen. To find out if progestogen is required, it may be suggested to use estrogen combined with cyclical progestogen for 3 months after your operation. If there is monthly bleeding in this time, it means that cells are present which are responding to the hormones so estrogen and progestogen should be used thereafter. (These hormones can however be given together continuously to avoid monthly bleeding). If there is no bleeding in the first 3 months, then estrogen can be given on its own thereafter.

I can't see any reason why anyone would want to take both the hormones continuously (through choice) because most women are delighted that they do not have to take additional progestogen of any descrption following hysterectomy.

So it sounds like you will only need the cyclical HRT for 3 months.

Hurdity x

lancashirelass

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 04:24:17 PM »

It depends if you have a history of endometriosis for instance they may keep you on combined for longer as they want to see if taking hrt will re-activate the endo.   I took it for 5 months and then was allowed to move to oestrogen only.  If you do not have any bleeding then after 3 months you may be fine depends what your history is.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 04:42:28 PM »

Bored?  There is so much to see outside as Spring arrives, plenty on TV - feet up, cuppa in hand, dozing ……. reading, knitting etc……..

carrs

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 09:43:26 PM »

Hi

The reason you got a letter and not a prescription from the hospital was purely financial. The GP's are supposed to "pay" for all common prescriptions. The hospital will only give you a 2 week prescription in most cases. Not convenient for those on the receiving end, is it?

Enjoy the rest and boredom.

ann123

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 10:03:11 PM »

Yes, different budgets! Your PCT should pay for aftercare...the great NHS, set up to confuse