Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mirena removal question  (Read 2762 times)

dulciana

Mirena removal question
« on: March 24, 2014, 06:50:18 PM »

Hello ladies,

Does anyone know whether you get contacted when it's time for a Mirena coil to be removed, or whether you have to get in touch, yourself?  Mine's due to be removed in 2015 and I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks!

Dulciana

Dancinggirl

Re: Mirena removal question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 07:03:04 PM »

I'd definitely make an appointment before the due date - you'll need to discuss your options after it's removed.  My GP surgery said my Mirena could stay in 5 years !!! - it is only licensed to be used for 4 years as part of HRT. Dg x

dulciana

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 09:56:47 PM »

Thanks Dancinggirl.  Mine will have been in for five years by the time it's removed.  Hmmm......

Shazzie

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:25:47 AM »

Hiya

I contacted my GP to have it removed.  Not sure if she would have contacted me but just in case I thought I should make an appt.  It was also quite painless to have it removed.

Shazzie xx

dulciana

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 01:28:56 PM »

Thanks Shazzie.

Fee

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 09:45:02 PM »

My GP's surgery contacted me and I make an appointment with my lovely doctor and I agreed to have a replacement fitted.   It was removed within minutes and a replacement fitted at the same time.   There was a bit of discomfort but nothing a few Nurofen wouldn't sort out. :)

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 04:55:49 PM »

dulciana - as Dancinggirl says it is only licensed for 4 years as HRT. This means that if you are also taking oestrogen as part of your HRT you are likely to need to change it in 2014 after 4 years from the original insertion date (or get it removed and use a different type of HRT with different progestogen in it). If not then it is possible that your uterus lining may thicken - so I would make the appt before even the 4 years is up rather than wait between 4 and 5.

Having said that it won't be a sudden thing (one day you're protected and the next you're not) and I imagine the 4 years has a fair margin of leeway!

Hurdity x