Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Advice re CEEs and "kinder" HRT types how to describe this to GP- HELP!  (Read 3074 times)

lubylou

Hi,
I am seeing my GP very early next week. Can someone explain the langaue I use to explain that I do not want to take CEE conjugated equire estrogen but I want to take a more “natural” and “kinder” estrogel. Also rather than take MPA I would like to take the more “natural” and “kinder” progesterone. I will need to take pill form.

I still cannot get my head around the word to use between what is CEEs and what is the other estradiol or estradiol valerate, or MPA and norethisterone and dydrogesterone.

I understand one are estrogens and the others are progesterones. I also understand that there is another type called Bioidentical Hormones.

I want to use the right word to describe estradiol or estradiol valerate - i.e. how it is formulated as opposed to the conjugated CEEs

Should I just say what is on one of the menus here that “The estrogens used in HRT are referred to as "natural" because they resemble substances produced in the body and include oestradiol, oestrone and oestriol which are usually made from soya beans or yam extracts. Conjugated equine estrogens made from horse urine are also sources of the naturally occurring estrogen oestrone sulphate.”

That seems a bit long for a 10 min appt where I have a lot to cover, any suggestions as to what I say to distinguish them? Looking for a word to use but I am brain dead on this one!

Thanks
Lubylou

Hurdity

Hi lubylou

All the estrogens (apart from the ones beginning with PRE )are the bio-identical ones ( or at least converted to that in the body - ie consist of estradiol or estradiol valerate. So as far as the oestrogen is concerned just say you don't want the horse oestrogen type or any of the Premique, Prempak etc

2 Then you decide if you want to have tablet or transdermal HRT (basically Pills or Patches)

If you ask for bio-identical hormones this will confuse the issue because some docs think you are talking about those obtained from compounding pharmacies which are very expensive and only obtained privately and are big in the US.

3 Progestogens -it's funny that women on here use the word "kind" for progesterone or hormones - which is hilariously anthropomorphic  always makes me  ;D. It must be because we are kind as a gender!!! Laughing aside if you want to use progesterone, ie the one that is the same molecule as we make in our bodies then there is essentially only one generally licensed and available and that is micronised progesterone which is available as . Many doctors haven't heard of this although it is listed on here.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

4  If you go for this option you have to have separate oestrogen, so the oestrogens pills, patches and another transdermal oestrogen - gel - are listed here.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

5 If you want completely transdermal HRT then the only ones are Evorel and Femseven and the progestogens are synthetic.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php
Scroll down - the ones listed are for peri meno but they also come as continuous combined.

6 There is a tablet HRT which has a well tolerated progestorgen in it that is closest to our own progesterone ( dydrogesterone) - this is Femoston 1/10 or 2/10. There is no patch with the same progestogen. It is listed above and also available as Femoston conti.

I think you need to decide what you want and ask for it and if the doc suggests one that you are not happy with then refuse it. Body identical is fine.

Good luck with yout appt

Hurdity x

ellie66

I just told my old GP I was not under any circumstances "swallowing horse piss"  ;D so she could forget prescribing it. Worked in/alongside for 30 years so I am very confident and take no nonsense  ;D She prescribed Femston 2/10 instead my new GP prescribes Oestrogel and Utrageston  :)

GP's seem to understand "swallowing horse piss" so it must be well known medical jargon  ;D

lubylou

hi,
Thanks for the replies.

Sorry I haven't responded before because I have been unwell (as well as sleep deprived) and not able to concentrate on anything, including just thinking and typing. :(

I appreciate the information Hurdity

Lubylou