Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Menopause or Pregnancy?  (Read 9822 times)

Ana

Menopause or Pregnancy?
« on: March 20, 2014, 05:49:21 PM »

I am over 50 years old and have been in perimenopause for more than a year. I have missed my period for the first time in 14 years - last time I was pregnant! So, what could it be? I have been having hot flushes, joint pains and tiredness but also feeling sick. Just wondering whether it could be pregnancy...

Taz2

Re: Menopause or Pregnancy?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 05:57:51 PM »

Hi Ana - it sounds as if it is menopause. The first sign is usually a missed period. The hot flushes are usually your body trying hard to ripen and release an egg from the ovary (so it's thought) because oestrogen levels have dropped. Nausea is also a common symptom of menopause together with joint pains and tiredness. However it is technically possible to get pregnant until you have been without a period for a year so if there is any possibility that you might be pregnant - i.e. you have had unprotected sex - then it may be a good idea to take a pregnancy test.

Taz x  :hug:

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 06:15:31 PM »

Welcome to menopause.. :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 09:26:07 PM »

:welcomemm:  do a pregnancy test anyway to put your mind at rest.  Then take precautions  ;) Browse round, join in!

Ana

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 09:16:08 AM »

Thank you for your help. Yes - I think it is menopause as the nausea has gone now - it turned out to be a stomach bug. (The pregnancy test was negative.) So, I upped my dose of antidepressants today as feeling quite depressed. Thank you for welcoming me. I have no friends and that is partly why I am depressed. But, looking forward to making friends here.  :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 04:29:51 PM by Anabelle »

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 05:43:26 PM »

Hi Anabelle

:welcomemm: from me too.

Mild depression (low mood) and anxiety are also symptoms of menopause - and sometimes becomes apparent as oestrogen levels start to decline.

If you only started feeling like this when you began to be peri-menopausal then have you thought of a low dose of HRT, rather than increasing your anti-depressants?  Just a thought.

Everyone is very friendly on here but it is no substitute for the real thing. Do you have any hobbies or interests where you could join a group or go to a class, join a choir, or something that would bring you into contact with other people? Perhaps you could think about becoming a volunteer  (wildlife, charity shop, library, school etc depending on your interest) and make friends that way?

Hurdity x  :)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 07:51:51 PM »

Like other chronic illness, depression has to be 'managed'.  Now that I am on a maintenance dose most days I am OK but if I wake with low mood for more than 3 days, I up the medication dose for 5-6 days until I begin to feel better.  Have a chat with your Practice Nurse and find out the Surgery 'manages' menopause?

:tulips2:

Ana

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 01:04:31 PM »

Thanks for your help. I have contacted the local Volunteer Centre, Hurdity, and hoping to get a voluntary job through them. I found that raising the dose of ADs has helped me to at least, become active enough to consider getting a job in the first place!

Re: managing my depression: it seems to be very difficult to get any sort of psychiatric treatment these days. All too often people like myself are dumped on the GP service. I've only ever seen a junior psychiatrist once. She put me on 20mg of Escitalopram following an acute episode 3 years ago. I only got to see her because I ended up in A&E with a severe panic attack. I've struggled with depression for years - without any treatment. Following the panic attack, I was put on 10mg by my GP despite the recommendation for 20mg. I did not push the point as I had heard that Escitalopram causes palpitations at higher doses. After six months on it, the GP wanted to lower the dose and wean me off but I refused and, instead, just went down to 5mg which I have been on ever since. So, now when I up the dose I am only going up to the normal dose, anyway.

Re: HRT - I am so glad to be rid of my monthly periods that I do not want to give them any encouragement to come back again. So, I think that I will give HRT a miss for the time-being! I am enjoying the break!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 07:00:44 PM »

Psychiatric treatment is low down in the NHS budget and monies will be taken from Mental Health Services for other specialities.  MIND charity might be a place to drop in?  You seem to be aware of how to manage your depression - it took a while.  Fortunately my GP is supportive of my management when I up the doseage as necessary.

Little steps  ;)

Mudster

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 11:35:54 PM »

Hi, from another newby to the meno!

My periods have been pretty erratic for well over a year now, about 2 years in totol.. Ive just started on a HRT patch, and I can't believe I am actually looking forward to having regular periods again - simply because it means I can be prepared for them and not get surprised by them   ::) 

There a good bunch on here and I would recommend having a read through the forums for advice and info etc xx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 12:00:19 PM »

:welcomemm:  Mudster

Ana

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 11:55:12 AM »

Thank you all for your help and welcomes. I am particularly grateful for the advice re : depression medication. I have managed to up the dose and feeling much better now. Also, thank you to the person who told me about what was causing the hot flushes. That helps me to regulate my cycles now that my periods have disappeared. I know I am not making much sense! But it helps me to know that the hot flushes mean that the ovaries are trying to produce an egg. Fingers crossed that they won't succeed. :-)

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 12:10:03 PM »

Glad that you are feeling brighter!

Mrs January

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »

Hey Anabelle

You will have many friends through here lovely lady...... take each day at a time. The volunteering sounds a great idea...

Go forward hun and never look back( we can't change the past but can influence our future)

Love and hugs

Mrs J xxxx

Ana

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 12:28:43 PM »

Thank you!

I am feeling much better now. Turns out that my period has arrived - finally! - after two months of waiting. And what a whopper it turned out to be! Three days of clots and flooding - so far. Anyway, at least I know what's going on now. Thank you all for all your help and advice. Just as well I carried on using contraception! I am so grateful for that!
Pages: [1] 2