Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Micronor  (Read 8719 times)

Aethelede

Micronor
« on: March 19, 2014, 12:53:13 PM »

Been prescribed Micronor as the progesterone part of hrt and not at all sure about it so hoping for some advice.

I was on Femseven Sequi patches for a couple of months. The oestrogen phase was fine and worked well but I had headaches on the prog part. However decided to persevere a bit longer but was having supply problems - the pharmacist had trouble getting hold of it.

So, went to docs and requested Oestrogel with Utrogestan thinking I might as well try the one viewed as being kinder. Doctor admitted he was no expert on hrt, seemed bemused by the number of preparations and seemed a bit peeved because I 'knew more about it than he did' ::). So he sent me off so he could 'consult with a colleague' and I could pick up prescription later. At the chemist I found he had given me the gel, which was great, but prog was Micronor which on packet says it is a contraceptive pill.

I was going to give it a try but noticed the dose for Femseven prog was 10micrograms per 24 hrs for the two weeks but Micronor is 350mcg at one a day for 14 days which seems a lot more. When I looked Micronor up on here it doesn't seem to be prescribed much and there was some confusion at to why it was given to someone in peri which is where I am at.

Would love some insights as I am not sure what to do!

honeybun

Re: Micronor
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 01:57:44 PM »

It's the mini pill and my daughter was prescribed this for contraception. It was far too strong for her and her slight anxiety went through the roof. She went back to a much milder mini pill.
I think that your GP has struggled to come up with a progesterone for you, opened his book and thought "oh that will do"
I think you need to call and tell him this is not given for meno and ask for micronised progesterone....ie utrogestan.

Honeyb
x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 05:54:06 PM »

Just to add that the dosage given for oral HRT is much higher than for transdermal as much of it is lost in the digestive process when taken orally, so you can't really compare them.

Micronor is norethisterone

If you look at the HRT preparations containing this, all the low dose and medium dose tablet HRT give 1 mg norethisterone for 10 days - this is 1000mcg

The equivalent patch is Evorel sequi which gives 170 mcg norethisterone in 24 hours, for 14 days per 4 weeks.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

So actually the Micronor is giving you less progestogen than the equivalent pills - so I would suggest that maybe it's not enough! Having said this norethisterone is a very powerful progestogen for thinning the lining. Micronor used to be available as part of HRT but it was 1 mg (1000 mcg).

The progestogen in Femseven is different and the dose can't be compared.

The licensed progestogens to use with oestrogen are listed here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

As honeybun says - one of these is Utrogestan.

Some GPs should really up their game. They are doing women a great disservice by allowing their egos to get in the way of giving us the treatment we deserve!! They are general practitioners after all, and if they don't know enough about it, should refer you on to someone who does. Most of us have picked up a great deal of information from this site alone. Why couldn't your doctor do the same?

Hurdity x

ellie66

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 09:42:45 PM »

My GP consulted this site when I said I wanted to try Oserogel and Utragestan  :) He is lovely and he is a colleague of mine.

Aethelede

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 10:22:52 PM »

Can I have your GP Ellie66?  ;D

Thanks Honeybun and Hurdity for the info - it's a real help to be able to access other women's knowledge and experience.

I have digestive problems so one of the reason's I wanted Utrogestan was that it can be used vaginally if necessary, so it looks like another trip to the doctor's. I will try to see the male GP I saw originally who was great, or one of the female ones.

Oestrogel seems to be working well, though. After headaches at first I am feeling quite good.  :)

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 01:02:58 PM »

Further to what Hurdity said above, I have found the following

"A progestogen-only pill can be used with combined sequential HRT to provide effective contraception and adequate endometrial protection (a progestogen-only pill used with oestrogen-only HRT will not provide an adequate level of endometrial protection; combined continuous HRT regimens are not appropriate in this age group due to bleeding)."

On this site: http://cks.nice.org.uk/contraception-assessment#!scenariorecommendation:28

It also has pages on HRT prescribing: http://cks.nice.org.uk/menopause#!scenario

Just click on the menus on the left.

Aethelede

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 08:36:49 PM »

Thanks Dahliagirl.  :)

ellie66

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 12:20:57 AM »

I am not sharing my GP with anyone he is too lovely  ;D

Aethelede

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 04:29:21 PM »