Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Help with Evorel Sequi Patches  (Read 4525 times)

lynn walker

Help with Evorel Sequi Patches
« on: March 18, 2014, 09:59:42 AM »

Hi I've been on Evorel Sequi patches for 6 months and have noticed that when I get to the last 4 patches that I get hot flushes in bed at night and cant sleep. I also become very irritable and moody, it seems to be getting worse aswell. I also cant stop eating sweet things which is annoying as I am trying to get my BMI down for an operation. Any thoughts !!! thanks Lynn

Hurdity

Re: Help with Evorel Sequi Patches
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 06:19:27 PM »

It sounds like your own cycle might still be kicking in lynnw - I can't remember your situation ie re age and where in menopause you are. Alternatively it could just be that you are reacting to the progestogen in those patches which is norethisterone. It does make some women moody and irritable ie pms symptoms. Have you thought of trying a different one eg Femseven to see if you feel any better for the last 2 weeks?

Re blood sugar. I know that progesterone/progestogens are involved in blood sugar metabolism but I don't know enough about the details. However the craving for sweet things during the second half of the cycle (ie when progesterone peaks) is well known. Eating sweet things though will only make it worse because of the effect on insulin and won't help you lose weight! Try switching to foods with a low glycaemic index - which release sugars slowly into the system. Also you need to eat little and often of these foods to keep your blood sugar levels stable.

Here is a list of foods and their glycaemic index - you should aim for medium - low!
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/gi_diet/glycaemic_index_tables.htm

Hope this helps!

Hurdity x

lynn walker

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 06:23:56 PM »

thanks Hurdity I was going to ask to change to the Conti patch as Im now 53 do you think it would make a difference.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 08:32:10 PM »

Usually it's 54 when women on HRT are changed over to conti HRT - and I've just looked back at your posts and you were on this before but changed due to bleeding?

I was 53, almost 54 when I first started HRT and because it wasn't 12 months since my last period I was given cyclical HRT - and stayed on it until I was 58 , briefly went onto conti and then back to a cycle (out of choice).

If you were having problems with unpredictable bleeding on conti HRT then sequi is generally recommended.

Also if you don't get on with that progestogen - and it gives you side effects, then you could be having these all the time on a conti HRT ie continuous progestogen!

You could ask to change to the more "natural" micronised progesterone (Utrogestan) which would be taken separately along with patch or gel oestrogen and try this cyclically at first - see if you felt the same in the second half of the cycle or maybe fewer side effects.

You would need to read up about it and make sure you found a sympathetic GP - not all have heard of ths regime despite it being listed on here for all to see!

Just thought I'd add also that most women should expect to get some sort of pms symptoms on HRT - after all we are continuing with the hormone cycle that we have had for years - so sadly we can't have all the benefits without some of the discomfort sadly. That comes with the gender!!

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

lynn walker

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 10:42:45 PM »

Thanks for your reply Hurdity you are very helpful, yes my GP did put me on Evorel Conti to start with he said that nowadays its ok to start on it!!! I only had it for a couple of months and had heavy bleeds and it was my decision to change to the Sequi. I think I will stay on the sequi and put up with the night sweats for a half of the month, although the not being able to sleep is not nice I don't work so can adapt. Im 53 so intend to stay on it until 54 as this seems to be the recommended age to go onto Conti. The annoying thing I was taking Tridestra and the 3 monthly was great but I couldn't get it as there was an issue with suppliers so had to go onto patches.