Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: A practical advice, please!  (Read 10209 times)

orrla

A practical advice, please!
« on: March 18, 2014, 03:38:36 PM »

Hello Ladies

I have a problem I don't know how to deal with and was wondering if perhaps there is anyone who knows what would be best to do.

On my textured bedroom ceiling small patches appeared - I've only noticed them recently probably because I never really looked that way. My flat has poor ventilation, only windows, so I know it is caused by condensation - most of times, before taking my shower, I open windows a bit in bedroom and bathroom. I am here for almost 3 years. Last winter my boiler broke down and it took 3 months before a new one was installed so I went on without a regular heating during cold months just turning halogen heater before going to bed. Then, during last winter we had these severe winds blowing straight onto my windows therefore they were closed tight again for few months. I was very busy yet not washing at home though but I admit, I was not very thorough with dusting in there - all good reasons to grow something I know now. I come from dry climate country and it never occurred to me before that I might have such problem. What I am struggling with now is its categorising - what is it? Mould or Fungus? How to get rid of this?

I bought this flat in hurry, it was newly decorated. When I moved in I had a blasting headache for about 10 days. It was heavily sprayed with some deodorant. I got rid of that smell but can't of other now - I suspected a carpet, I plan to have a go at too. In a meantime I developed Rhinitis - it is allergy based for sure, at something in this flat. It begins to be clear that I've made a vary bad deal. Now I am beginning to feel I am rotting with it...

I spent hours on internet trying to get instruction how to kill this thing, because no one I've asked could tell me anything practical, now I've only became confused. A professional help I called for this came and tried to flog me an expensive electric ventilators...

So far, I've removed most things from there to free the space, bought a dehumidifier and run it at various times but it collects very little so not sure if it does any difference really; I've dusted everything of course by now, including ceiling, sprayed the patches with vinegar and then with soda/water mixture as advised by some website (they've became darker), ordered some anty-fungal spray, went to DIY shop to ask and ended up with a can of Dump Seal, bought a ladder, brushes, more soda and vinegar, must buy more dust sheets yet....

Sensible would be sell it and move somewhere else but this is not all that easy for me, particularly in a current climate, so I might be stuck here. I'll need to live with whatever it is in these walls - how to make them as safe to my health and economic being as possible?

Can someone instruct and guide me, please?! :o

Thanks for reading this rant! I'll be grateful for your wise words! :-*

Joyce

Re: A practical advice, please!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 03:56:04 PM »

Maybe not condensation causing the problem. If it's only appearing now it could be dampness seeping through from outside or a leaking pipe? If it is only condensation maybe you need to get an extractor fan fitted in your bathroom, this would help draw out condensation.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 05:20:01 PM »

Get the estate agent in who sold you the flat?  Is there another flat above or to the side of your property, it could be a pipe that has come askew outside causing water to run between buildings; a Surveyor would tell you what the problem is, condensation is usually on windows and when really bad, it can run down walls too, the wallpaper flaps or peels off  :o (been there, done that …… ) .  Do the patches 'grow', we had mould which we could scrape off and thrived on Domestos!!!! it's when my allergic rhinnitis began ….

Carpets if treated can cause fumes = headaches. 

orrla

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 06:06:21 PM »

Thanks!

There is one flat above - and there is some history of flooding on an other side, I noticed after moving in. It shows from a staircase side. My upstairs neighbor was very evasive about it when I asked him but later admitted it was his shower leaking - but all this was on the other side of flats. Then again there could be some horizontal leakage perhaps?

I read about textured ceilings, called 'popcorn', and news is it may contain asbestos... if it was not enough. I can't find any images of how dump or fungus look like on such ceiling. My is like some ..small or bigger colonies of hard bubbles, some places it looks like a chain of them - it is all around really, at a strip of paint which looks like a brush run around when it joins with walls - of the same colour as ceiling, now became slightly blackish after this spraying I've done - I don't know if should I try to scrap them off or just brush dry or wash/dry/paint over?

I don't know if an agent can be responsible for selling one a rotting egg? Do you know? There was a short period after moving in when I could withdrew but it was almost 3 years ago.

I was under such pressure when purchasing that when solicitor asked if I want an extra survey I said 'no'. I so regret this now!  I have no idea how to go about surveyor and how much it would cost, besides of what would this give?  No mention of any leaks in a home report of course.  Perhaps I should try them..?

I have a standard insurance I am paying each quarter to my factors - perhaps here ..?  What would you do?

I thought I was breathing better after all this cleaning I've done but this morning I got up all runny again with my eyes swollen and all the jazz of Rhinitis ;(  Wrrrrrr!! :-\

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 07:04:57 PM »

The estate agent is not responsible.

It sounds like water coming in to me. Get a plumber in to have a look.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 07:34:15 PM »

Water can run along pipes so although flooding was on other side, it could have run along the pipes and be affecting your flat. A plumber should be able to tell you where it is coming from.

orrla

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 09:18:37 PM »

I have a very bad experience with plumbers here,... I'll check surveyor route, i think. And with CAB.

Thanks! ???

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 10:38:14 PM »

Do you know someone who could recommend a plumber?

orrla

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 10:53:07 PM »

I don't Cubagirl. I went through a horror last year with my boiler. I don't think I want to see any of them. Thanks!

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 08:17:32 AM »

You could try rated tradesmen. That will give you a choice of good ones.
It really sounds like a water leak and if it is it will continue to damage the ceiling unfortunately.
It might not be the easiest to fix but it's probably easier in the long run just to bite the bullet and get someone in to look at it then you will know what you are dealing with.
We had a similar problem in our last house. A general survey did not pick up an old leaking chimney breast. After a couple of years damp patches appeared on the wall. We contacted the surveyors and they shrugged their shoulders and said it was nothing they could do. Checked with CAB only to be told the same. The problem was ours. Really wondered why we had bothered getting a survey in the first place.

Honeyb
x

orrla

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 10:29:46 AM »

My rated tradesmen who was replacing boiler needed to chased legally to finish works.

If it is a water leak than it has to do with my neighbor and factors and insurance, doesn't it? Pipes would have to be checked first before dealing with the ceiling, I guess..

I really hoped to have more peaceful life at 58. Wrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 11:39:21 AM »

Bit of a dilemma then. However, wherever the leak is from, it needs fixing. If it's allowed to continue your ceiling could eventually come down, which is a nightmare. Causes so much mess. Maybe CAB could recommend what to do.

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 02:13:09 PM »

If you have a local DiY shop (not B&Q) but a little one. They could probably recommend a good reputable plumber.

It may well originate from your neighbour but unfortunately it's your house it's affecting so it will have to be you that gets it investigated.

Honeyb
x

orrla

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 10:36:57 AM »

I think I need an experienced painter & decorator - and his expert info on how to remove condensation caused mould from my textured ceiling.

I thought that perhaps any of you have some experience of removing such themselves, thus asked here. :o

Thanks for all suggestions! :-*

jo61

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 11:13:57 AM »

Orrla
I am not sure where your problem lies but if the mold is definitely off condensation , from my experience,you need to use a substance to kill the mold first i.e. Bleach leave for a short while then it needs to be sealed we just use ordinary undercoat which you use under gloss then a couple of coats of emulsion. It needs to be sealed or it will just keep coming through the emulsion because that is water based but you need to be sure that you have cured the original cause i.e condensation,water damage. Dont know if this will help but I would try to solve the problem before calling in painter and decorators. good luck!!!